CONFIRMATION: JVC HA-FX1000 IS the JVC Victor HP-FX500.
Jun 10, 2009 at 9:34 AM Post #136 of 183
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To my ears it seems that the FX500's reach a little lower than the IE8's, and it's more controlled too. There's less mid bass coloration, which helps it all seem cleaner on the low end.

This I thoroughly agree with. I've refrained from commenting as am still burning them in. Although I prefer listening to my phones to burn them in am using the pink noise loop to see what it does to these.

As was indicated already vocals are very open sounding and clear. I wish the midrange was a bit more forward and possess greater texture if that's the right word. I still prefer the IE8s vocals as of now but that's just personal preference.

I tend to turn the lights off in the night when I listen to my phones. Listening to the FX500s in the dark is like turning the lights back on. I think Duncan made a similar analogy..........

Jun 10, 2009 at 3:56 PM Post #137 of 183
Yeah, the clarity is like turning a light back on, good analogy. The highs and mids can seem a little muddy on the IE8's now when going back to them from the Victors. This clarity from a dynamic is really something I've not heard yet. Very cool. But I think I'm with you too in preferring the vocals by a slight margin on the Senns. That ease of detail they have helps in presenting the human voice apparently. And that, plus the ultimate width of the soundstage are the only things I'm missing now with these FX500's. The Victors are getting more and more play time with the Sony X.
icon10.gif

Jun 10, 2009 at 4:32 PM Post #139 of 183
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Come on, cheques (yes, cheques not checks damn American use) go through...

Me want these. bad.
frown.gif

The more I read of this thread the more I want them
frown.gif
cn11, you're not helping!

Ha ha, sorry mate! Here, I'll try to help somewhat- beware of using them with bright sources, I'm still finding them harsh in the top end down to the upper mids. They can be fatiguing to my ears because of this. They work very well with the Sony X because it's such a mellow yet detailed player. For comparison, I tried them out of my iPhone 3G, and OUCH!! No go for sure. Pairing is tricky with these I'm guessing. I wish I had more DAP's on hand to learn how this works.

EDIT- I should also say that I do tend to prefer a mellow, laid-back sound, and not overly bright and treble-tipped. My observation that they're harsh out of the iPhone could be another's natural bright and trebly (actual word? ha) preference.

Jun 10, 2009 at 7:05 PM Post #140 of 183
Quote:

Ha ha, sorry mate! Here, I'll try to help somewhat- beware of using them with bright sources, I'm still finding them harsh in the top end down to the upper mids. They can be fatiguing to my ears because of this. They work very well with the Sony X because it's such a mellow yet detailed player. For comparison, I tried them out of my iPhone 3G, and OUCH!! No go for sure. Pairing is tricky with these I'm guessing. I wish I had more DAP's on hand to learn how this works.

EDIT- I should also say that I do tend to prefer a mellow, laid-back sound, and not overly bright and treble-tipped. My observation that they're harsh out of the iPhone could be another's natural bright and trebly (actual word? ha) preference.

Good to know. I probably won't waste my money trying the Victors then if they're sibilant compared to the IE8s.

Jun 11, 2009 at 5:04 PM Post #141 of 183
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone tried these with the Sansa Fuze?

yeah, they sound good!

as for harshness: i never experienced it. it could be that my ear canals being smaller compress the flanges to that they are less fatiguing, but i also have not read of fatigue till headfi. at kakaku.com, they are well regarded as smooth, yet energetic. in fact, many on that site would prefer more energy.

Jun 11, 2009 at 5:15 PM Post #142 of 183
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah, they sound good!

as for harshness: i never experienced it. it could be that my ear canals being smaller compress the flanges to that they are less fatiguing, but i also have not read of fatigue till headfi. at kakaku.com, they are well regarded as smooth, yet energetic. in fact, many on that site would prefer more energy.

I have large ear canals and certainly wouldn't want anything more "energetic" than the IE8s.

Jun 12, 2009 at 6:53 AM Post #143 of 183
Hi,i have very similar experiences to cn11.With the Sony X1060.
Not done lots of listening.Out of box bit hard to listen to,because of points that have been pointed out(this & some from other threads).On one at least album,got a few really low bass notes,that were sustained & very flabby,boomy,took over rest of sound.That soon went & bass a lot better.
Diana Krall isn't bad with her 'S's,to test with anyway.Not out & out sibilant,but you do notice,'S's certainly emphasised.
Newish to portable stuff,so also not much to compare with.At first also found i needed vol turned well up(not unusual,old ears),max.One thing i have found,with other HP's normally turn up vol to bring out rest of soundstage,or far left/right a bit more.These are strange,don't have to have vol control as high now(seem to have got easier to drive),turning vol down a bit,centre stage/vocals etc,gets affected a lot more than the far Left/Right etc.That also means,i am turning vol down a bit more than i would expect for me.
Most of time they have been on the floor,playing away Merrily,done a fair few hours.Playing all sorts,Led Zep,Kings of Leon,Classical to Dido etc etc(i listen to most things).Just keep having a listen now & again.
They do seem to be getting a lot better,detail is still there,but its getting better in more areas.Bass(they have a fair bit of it & low for what they are) is better etc.Getting more rounder,balanced,smoother/less harsh,but still detailed & good instrument separation etc etc.Just popped them in,& Diana Krall's 'S's are a lot better,still notice odd one thou.
They do have a bit of PRAT etc,do get your feet tapping.
There certainly getting better.My current Floorstanders were the same(very similar)thou,different speakers after a month.With regards Bass(they do go low)very boomy,kept moving them further from the walls,moved back closer now,been ages,but prob could put even closer now if i CBA.

Cheers BOB

ps middle of the road regards warmth/cold etc.Like things fairly neutral,detailed,fair bit of PRAT,enough to listen for 2 to 3hrs or so.Not too much thou,that it impress's,but can get too tiring after a short period of time.

Prob start listening a bit more,got screen/back protectors on the X1060 now.

Jun 12, 2009 at 2:17 PM Post #144 of 183
spuddler-
Glad you're liking them so far. Lately I've been using mine daily at work over the IE8's even. I like their better detail throughout the mids and treble. And the bass! Man. You're putting it mildly by saying 'these have a fair bit of it'.. I hear them as at least the equal of my Atrios in bass. And it's really full, controlled, deep reaching stuff. When I go back to my IE8's I really hear the mid bass they have.

Anyway, keep burning them in, and enjoy.

Jun 12, 2009 at 7:07 PM Post #145 of 183
cn11, are you still finding them sharp and fatiguing, or have the treble and mids smoothed out with use? How are you finding they handle sibilance at this stage?

Jun 13, 2009 at 7:24 PM Post #146 of 183
epithetless-
I think it's a bit better, but perhaps it's mental adjustment. I did notch the treble band on the Sony's EQ down one tick to compensate, and that helps. They still have all the detail this way, jut not as 'hot'. They're definitely more forward of a phone than the IE8's, but the detail is worth it. I've been using them lately over the IE8's.

What source would you be using? I realized they probably need to be paired with a rather mellow source, which the X1060B is. With the iPhone, they were really bright. Funny but I don't hear any sibilance at all in the human voice on 'S's'. It's just forwardness in the upper mids through the treble from time to time. Another change I noticed is that the stage opened up. It now rivals the IE8's. I think they're keepers. This is the first dynamic earphone I've heard such detail in. I almost wish I had the Westone 3's still to compare with in spatial resolution, because these are really good in that regard.

Jun 13, 2009 at 8:15 PM Post #147 of 183
Quote:

epithetless-
I think it's a bit better, but perhaps it's mental adjustment. I did notch the treble band on the Sony's EQ down one tick to compensate, and that helps. They still have all the detail this way, jut not as 'hot'. They're definitely more forward of a phone than the IE8's, but the detail is worth it. I've been using them lately over the IE8's.

What source would you be using? I realized they probably need to be paired with a rather mellow source, which the X1060B is. With the iPhone, they were really bright. Funny but I don't hear any sibilance at all in the human voice on 'S's'. It's just forwardness in the upper mids through the treble from time to time. Another change I noticed is that the stage opened up. It now rivals the IE8's. I think they're keepers. This is the first dynamic earphone I've heard such detail in. I almost wish I had the Westone 3's still to compare with in spatial resolution, because these are really good in that regard.

Thanks for the comments, cn11. I'd be using my Rockboxed v1 Sansa e280 for now, until the Fuze Rockbox port is stable. The e280 is already a bit sharp in the upper registers, so I have a feeling it wouldn't have the best synergy with the FX500.

Jun 13, 2009 at 9:37 PM Post #148 of 183
Well, I'm going to be going offline for ten days from tomorrow, but just thought I'd chime in, to say that I'm glad that the JVCs are finally getting the attention they deserve
smily_headphones1.gif

I look forward to catching up with this thread when I get back
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 14, 2009 at 3:49 AM Post #149 of 183
Duncan, for example, if somebody listened to 20% pop, 20% house, 20% trance, 20% classical, 20% jazz and had only one choice to make between the Image X10 and these Victor's, which one would you give the nod to?

Jun 14, 2009 at 11:56 PM Post #150 of 183
Hi,i certainly havn't listen to them for extensive periods of time,so no way its iv'e gotten used to the sound.Listened slightly clinical,but not too much ie do i like the sound.Justed played anything also(somethings mastered well,some not).Ok it as been mentioned about prob top end mid(is that what sibilance can be?,or slow decay on say 'S's),but in nearly most things its been minor,if any,well mostly any(do hear it odd time,even not being D Krall,advantages far out way'ed by other things,detail,controlled ish deep bass{OK is there ever perfection],maybe there just bringing out too much ?).
They are good,well excellent(not out of the box certainly thou IMO,that didn't put me off,well there's always a bit of anxiety),IMO if you can get them for say £90 odd pounds( i paid £101.84 total,goes up & down,from Bluetin,was going to look best way to get them,but hit quickest way,can't work weekends,posted Mon thou,got 13:00pm Wed thou).Prob bit of a bargain,certainly for me who doesn't have much portable stuff.
Thanks to everyone on here,for leading me in the in the right direction(i have looked plenty of times before thou),these might not suit everyone,but might suit lots.

Cheers BOB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back