Comparisons: 36 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around
Feb 10, 2014 at 6:42 PM Post #1,561 of 4,373
^ you make complete subjective sense :)

Feb 10, 2014 at 7:04 PM Post #1,562 of 4,373
  ^ you make complete subjective sense :)

lol i just think it's silly that people are being critical of OP's review because they personally disagree in some aspect when it's obvious that comparison reviews are inherently based on personal opinions and personal weighing of factors that are important to the reviewer.

Feb 10, 2014 at 8:20 PM Post #1,563 of 4,373
That's why I have a difficult time recommending headphones to anyone other than myself.

Feb 10, 2014 at 9:09 PM Post #1,564 of 4,373
  Dear MH, can you kindly also include the weight of the headphones in your rankings the next time you update the table? I think weight is also an important variable in comparing portables. The weight of a pair of headphones have influence on the comfort and the portability.

Including the upcoming reviews, I think the Thinksound On1 is probably the lightest behind the DT-1350?

I do very much include that as part of my Comfort rating. I'll say this much, the H6s are the lightest of the bunch (and by a good margin).

The M500 is pretty small and collapsable, but has a portability rating of 3.5?

Seriously?

Portability rating 3.5 of the M500 vs rating 5 of the Beats?

Yep...try putting the M500s in the front seat pocket when you're flying. The case is a bit too thick to fully fit as compared to the really think Executives. I find the M500s on par with many of the other headphones here with regards to portability (in other words pretty good). But the Executive's thin package make them better for lugging around.

Feb 10, 2014 at 9:33 PM Post #1,565 of 4,373
Just listened to the bw p7 in an apple store. Sounds like a phonak pfe 232 but meaner treble... heavy hitting subbass, very enhanced treble and huuge stage.
I auditioned the kef m500 as well and prefer it clearly over the p7.

Kinda disappointed after seeing all the positive reviews. My esw11 still destroys them.
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Have you tried the H6s?

Feb 10, 2014 at 10:13 PM Post #1,566 of 4,373
The K545 is a nice light choice. But it's not super portable especially for travel and does not have a case. But one of the posters in the K545 thread found a nice case that just fit the K545.

Feb 10, 2014 at 10:16 PM Post #1,567 of 4,373
The K545 is a nice light choice. But it's not super portable especially for travel and does not have a case. But one of the posters in the K545 thread found a nice case that just fit the K545.

Agreed. The H6s come with a thin fabric bag...but $10 later at ebay, I've got a great solution for them. Small and thin.

Feb 11, 2014 at 1:26 AM Post #1,569 of 4,373
Quote:
  I do very much include that as part of my Comfort rating. I'll say this much, the H6s are the lightest of the bunch (and by a good margin).

Am I missing something like another measure of weight I'm unaware of? H6 is listed as 230g. While the Momentum is listed as 190g? Or are you going to suggest that the momentum's weight is exclusive of cables which weigh 40g?
Quote:

Yep...try putting the M500s in the front seat pocket when you're flying. The case is a bit too thick to fully fit as compared to the really think Executives. I find the M500s on par with many of the other headphones here with regards to portability (in other words pretty good). But the Executive's thin package make them better for lugging around.

Then you are saying a 350g Beats Executive in a flat form has a portability rating of 5, over a lighter NAD HP50 or DT-1350 with a rating of 3.5?

Lol duh!

Reviews are always subjective, nothing new here.

Oh course I know reviews are subjective. Which led to  all this questions because I first objectively asked for the weight of each pair of headphones to be updated on the tables.

Feb 11, 2014 at 2:49 AM Post #1,570 of 4,373
We all hear, taste, talk, see and feel differently! 

+1 about review being subjective. 

Weight really IMO doesn't matters for headphones unless it is 500g and above or if the pressure is unbalanced on the headband causing you to feel heavy. :)

Feb 11, 2014 at 10:07 AM Post #1,574 of 4,373
  Then you are saying a 350g Beats Executive in a flat form has a portability rating of 5, over a lighter NAD HP50 or DT-1350 with a rating of 3.5?

Oh course I know reviews are subjective. Which led to  all this questions because I first objectively asked for the weight of each pair of headphones to be updated on the tables.

I think he's saying that his portability rating is more than just weight for him.  He values the thinness of the case stored while traveling.  You have to take his intent in mind since its his review of how he uses the equipment.  He talk about portability for travel on an airplane where storage space and profile is > than a few grams here and there, etc.  That's not to say weight isn't an important factor, just not weighted as high in his review as it seems it is for you.

Feb 11, 2014 at 11:05 AM Post #1,575 of 4,373
So, finally received the DNA Pro Over-ears and, again Monster surprises with the tuning for these but they are definitely NOT my preference...
It's DEFINITELY lacking sub-bass and mid-bass attack. I am going to say that the low-end is just "tamed", at least to these ears. Also, the upper mids suffer from the same thing that the Sony MDR-1R did when I had them long ago, it seems something is going on there and it's actually a bit fatiguing. So, again, just like the MDR-1Rs, I enjoy these more when I DON'T crank the volume up... ugh bummer, sometimes I want to rock out. So having the bass tamed, plus that possibly upper-mid spike actually makes these sound "bright"... Apart from those cons, I do think they are Ok headphones. Their sound reproduction is clear, airy and even though bass is "tamed" I can thoroughly enjoy songs from Jakwob, J-King and Maximan, etc. which rely on lots of mid/sub-bass attack. But the upper-mids... yeah...

Overall, I'd still pick their N-Pulse over the DNA Pro's... (and this takes into consideration comfort factor as well... build for both are "meh" too much plastic, heck, go to Best Buy and take a look at the Demo Units... lol... that's all I'm going to say). And to put it in context of this massive comparison prepared by MH, and from the ones I have bought and tested I'd still pick:

KEF M500
PSB M4U
Momentum (on-ears not the over-ears)
MDR-1R

over the DNA Pros.

:wink:

Edited to say that --> These were tested directly plugged into my AK100 MK2 Dap. Testing with the Schiit Magni now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back