Comparisons: 36 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around
Feb 11, 2014 at 12:32 PM Post #1,577 of 4,373
Feb 11, 2014 at 9:01 PM Post #1,578 of 4,373
  Then you are saying a 350g Beats Executive in a flat form has a portability rating of 5, over a lighter NAD HP50 or DT-1350 with a rating of 3.5?

Oh course I know reviews are subjective. Which led to  all this questions because I first objectively asked for the weight of each pair of headphones to be updated on the tables.

Righto...for weight, the Momentums are up there too...(too many headphones to keep track of). But comfort wise, there's no competition...the Momentum's small earpads vs. the H6s, I'm taking the H6s.

With regards to portability, the Executive's case is smaller than the DT1350s and HP50s (and thinner too). Plus it comes with a solid case that I feel is more sturdy for on the go. Have you seen the Executive's zipped up in the case? It's actually quite impressive. YMMV of course.

Feb 11, 2014 at 9:21 PM Post #1,579 of 4,373
Righto...for weight, the Momentums are up there too...(too many headphones to keep track of). But comfort wise, there's no competition...the Momentum's small earpads vs. the H6s, I'm taking the H6s.

With regards to portability, the Executive's case is smaller than the DT1350s and HP50s (and thinner too). Plus it comes with a solid case that I feel is more sturdy for on the go. Have you seen the Executive's zipped up in the case? It's actually quite impressive. YMMV of course.

Agreed - those Beats headphone cases are usually well-designed portability-wise. I haven't seen the 1350s in person, but definitely beats the HP50s softcase.

Feb 11, 2014 at 9:25 PM Post #1,580 of 4,373
Well I've been listening to the Martin Logan Mikros 90s (thanks again to Dave: Beagle) for sending them down the 401! Getting the fit is a bit finicky on them, but once you figure out how to get them settled on your head, they're pretty good comfort wise.

Right off the bat, wow...such a big sound from such a small pair of headphones! More to come....

Feb 11, 2014 at 9:43 PM Post #1,582 of 4,373
  Well I've been listening to the Martin Logan Mikros 90s (thanks again to Dave: Beagle) for sending them down the 401! Getting the fit is a bit finicky on them, but once you figure out how to get them settled on your head, they're pretty good comfort wise.

Right off the bat, wow...such a big sound from such a small pair of headphones! More to come....

I haven't heard them yet (in a state of delivery), but some feel that burn-in effects them in a very positive way. And then there's the talk of alternate cables.. and as trunks mentioned: amping.

Feb 11, 2014 at 9:51 PM Post #1,583 of 4,373
With an amp they go on another level.

They are some of the most detailed headphones ive heard.

I haven't heard them yet (in a state of delivery), but some feel that burn-in effects them in a very positive way. And then there's the talk of alternate cables.. and as trunks mentioned: amping.

No worries fellas, I'll run them on my GS-X Mk2 / BDA-2 dynamic rig. 
wink.gif
 Not very portable though. 
smily_headphones1.gif

I've also got a FiiO E11 here too...but I'm not a big fan of extra amping for portable headphones as the increase in sound quality doesn't usually justify the lack of well...portability. Of the headphones I have on hand, the H6s seem to benefit the most. I'm not including the M&L's as I've only really started listening to them.

Feb 11, 2014 at 9:57 PM Post #1,584 of 4,373
No worries fellas, I'll run them on my GS-X Mk2 / BDA-2 dynamic rig. 
size]
 Not very portable though. 
size]

I've also got a FiiO E11 here too...but I'm not a big fan of extra amping for portable headphones as the increase in sound quality doesn't usually justify the lack of well...portability. Of the headphones I have on hand, the H6s seem to benefit the most. I'm not including the M&L's as I've only really started listening to them.

I appreciate how you keep focused on... portability. That is after all what your thread is about. Kudos!

Feb 12, 2014 at 2:31 AM Post #1,587 of 4,373

I was at the store demoing these, but could not balance them on my head to sound good. So I just gave up.

With all the praise around here though, perhaps I should try harder.

Feb 12, 2014 at 4:53 AM Post #1,590 of 4,373
Why arent there more full sized portables? It doesn't seem the extra half inch in diameter over some of these small around ear sets that bother some listeners would really make headphones that much less portable.

I myself have been looking for something with the comfort of a full sized but with more portability but options seems few and far between.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back