Comparisons: 36 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around
Feb 10, 2014 at 11:05 AM Post #1,550 of 4,373
  Then I wonder why the Beat Executive has the highest portability rating (5) with the Aviators following behind at rating 4. Both seem larger and heavier than the DT1350 which has a rating of 3.5.

Many factors contribute to a person's subjective opinions on portability and comfort. 
Variables like weight however, are objective.

try this for weights..............google.....................

Feb 10, 2014 at 12:09 PM Post #1,551 of 4,373
  Well after many many decisions I've narrowed it down to the B&W P7 and the B&O H6... anybody got any suggestions? Are the P7's really that uncomfortable? I found the Momentums difficult so comfort (and portability and sound of course) are pretty important to me. Also I go ampless from an iPhone 5S.

Of all the headsets I tried P7 was the most comfortable for me (I never tried the H6 though). Well - I should adjust that to tried this time around. I own a Bose QC15 and they are more comfortable (probably the most comfortable headset I have ever tried).

Not sure why so many react to the "clamping". I have a fairly large head (I struggle to find helmets that fit), but I have never really reacted much to any clamping. You do notice that they are there, but to me they have never caused any sort of pain or annoyance. Padding in the headband could have been slightly better, but again never cause any discomfort.

I guess it comes down to how they fit.

Love my P7 more and more. But I do get more and more why people say they are maybe too bass heavy. I don't think they got "too much", but if you are sensitive to too much bass then I would be a bit careful recommending them. H6 - from the reviews I have seen seem to be the total opposite.

Feb 10, 2014 at 12:41 PM Post #1,552 of 4,373
The problem with me regarding clamping stems from the amount if pressure added to the pressure point between your jaw bone and skull. The air pressure from a crazy tight seal on my eardrums doesn't help either.

Feb 10, 2014 at 2:04 PM Post #1,554 of 4,373
The isolation for the M500 is lacking.

That, and it fairly easily slides off the head. But it does fold up into a nice, small case (although it's more a round case than a flat case).

Feb 10, 2014 at 2:10 PM Post #1,555 of 4,373
Just listened to the bw p7 in an apple store. Sounds like a phonak pfe 232 but meaner treble... heavy hitting subbass, very enhanced treble and huuge stage.
I auditioned the kef m500 as well and prefer it clearly over the p7.

Kinda disappointed after seeing all the positive reviews. My esw11 still destroys them.
smily_headphones1.gif
)

I won't comment about you liking the M500 (except for "yeah baby"! lol).

But regarding the esw11's, you might be interested in this:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/633514/martin-logan-mikros-90-on-ear-headphones/1050#post_10251997
  I use ATH-ESW-11LTD and Mikros 90 during working hour, and ATH-W1000 in my bed room.

I test 11LTD and 90 back and forth using X3 DAP. Conclusions from my old ears are
  • I like sound stage of Mikros
  • I can hear more details in high frequency from Mikros (this really annoy me too much, why on earth that 90$ phone blow my 700$ phone away)
  • Mikros has a better tonal balance for my taste but some time I also want more fun feeling that I can get from 11LTD
  • Female vocal seem to be more pleasure on Mikros. 11LTD also do good job, but high note from female vocal on 11LTD make me not so comfortable
  • Only week point on Mikros is bass. Don't get me wrong, I'm 51 and not bass head. I listen to vocal, jazz and some classical. When I talk about bass, I mean double bass from standard jazz or bass from contemporary jazz such as four play, Grover Washington, etc

I will try Mikros with some better player such as AK120 or HM901. If it make Mikros better in low frequency area, I will buy another one as spare.

Feb 10, 2014 at 3:14 PM Post #1,556 of 4,373
The treble is the biggest problem on the p7. Sounds so unnatural to my ears.

Funny how people "see" things differently. From the review on innerfidelity: 

"It took me quite a little while to warm up to these cans, the B&W P7 doesn't really play to my preferences, but I did eventually grow to relish my listening time on them—the treble response is near world class!"

Feb 10, 2014 at 3:48 PM Post #1,557 of 4,373
The treble is the biggest problem on the p7. Sounds so unnatural to my ears.

Then you need a second listen or your references are way off the mark. The P7 has an excellent treble; one can argue about it being slightly on the bright side, but it's certainly not excessively bright and its definition is up there with the best closed-back headphones on the market. The M500 on the other hand, has a bit of a hard and metallic nature to its treble. Not natural and definitely not a treble performance on par with the P7.

While audio can be very subjective, I think that with proper experience listening to the two cans this should be quite obvious to most. 

Feb 10, 2014 at 5:02 PM Post #1,558 of 4,373
Durability, foldable, case, weight, driving (weather it will benefit from amping), isolation, size <- I believe these all are taken into consideration IMO. But let's allow MH to explain that xD

Feb 10, 2014 at 6:00 PM Post #1,560 of 4,373
lol you guys have to realize that basically all reviews and comparisons of headphones are totally subjective.

ranking portability would be subjective view based on the importance of different objective criteria to the reviewer: form factor, size, design, weight, comfort, case, durability, and noise isolation.

of course, a good subjective comparison review will simply give you the author's opinion what which is the best. a great objective comparison review will simply state the relative differences in those objective criteria important for portability and let you decide for yourself what is most important.

edit: as for sound, omg... the opinions of the sound signature specific headphones are so varied and all over the map, you really just need to listen to them yourself if you want an accurate impressions. ...the next best option is to read the opinions of someone with similar musical tastes or similar impressions of previous headphones as you. but even then, everyone's preferences and ears are different. comparison reviews are interesting to read, but i would never base my buying decisions on other people's impressions. you need to hear things for yourself & decide for yourself what suits you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back