Comparisons: 36 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around
Feb 12, 2014 at 8:25 PM Post #1,592 of 4,373
  Why arent there more full sized portables? It doesn't seem the extra half inch in diameter over some of these small around ear sets that bother some listeners would really make headphones that much less portable.

I myself have been looking for something with the comfort of a full sized but with more portability but options seems few and far between.

This thread (I think I mentioned it in my first post) was for closed/portable headphones for on-the-go only. So for now I suppose, I'd like to keep it on that topic. 
redface.gif

Full sized and portables don't really mix IMO. Do you have any in mind?

Feb 12, 2014 at 8:37 PM Post #1,593 of 4,373
This thread (I think I mentioned it in my first post) was for closed/portable headphones for on-the-go only. So for now I suppose, I'd like to keep it on that topic. :xf_eek:

Full sized and portables don't really mix IMO. Do you have any in mind?

I see no reason they can't mix. A lot of portables have just slightly smaller than full sized cups. Why not just bump that up a half inch or so for more comfort.

The Koss dj100 fit comfortably around my ear and fold flat for bag storage. I see no reason other manufactures don't follow that model instead of having a half assed compromise between comfort and portability.

Feb 12, 2014 at 8:43 PM Post #1,594 of 4,373
I see no reason they can't mix. A lot of portables have just slightly smaller than full sized cups. Why not just bumptious that up a half inch or so for more comfort.

The Koss dj100 fit comfortably around my ear and fold flat for bag storage. I see no reason other manufactures don't follow that model instead of having a half assed compromise between comfort and portability.

They're about as borderline as I'd like to go with regards to size. I'd hate to start including headphones like the D7000s and TH900s in this thread.

Feb 13, 2014 at 2:13 AM Post #1,596 of 4,373
My X1's are pretty portable... 
ph34r.gif

Feb 13, 2014 at 1:09 PM Post #1,599 of 4,373

Comfort wise, 1R wins. Sound wise, Momentum wins. It's a "higher end" headphone.

how good is momentum , is it worth $40 more ? they are on-ear to me , i have big ears , i have tried 1r they are nice , but they are a bit over priced here , like $280 , does the 1r has better imaging ? and how bad is aviator , its for $95 here . and whats this s6avfm and s6avdm , two batches of aviator ? or they sound different too ?

Feb 13, 2014 at 1:30 PM Post #1,600 of 4,373

how good is momentum , is it worth $40 more ? they are on-ear to me , i have big ears , i have tried 1r they are nice , but they are a bit over priced here , like $280 , does the 1r has better imaging ? and how bad is aviator , its for $95 here . and whats this s6avfm and s6avdm , two batches of aviator ? or they sound different too ?

You're going to be happier with the 1R. The sonics aren't that far apart from the Momentum, but it's miles ahead in the comfort department, especially if you're someone with bigger ears. As far as imaging goes, I think that's something the 1R does better than the Momentum.

Feb 13, 2014 at 3:02 PM Post #1,601 of 4,373

You're going to be happier with the 1R. The sonics aren't that far apart from the Momentum, but it's miles ahead in the comfort department, especially if you're someone with bigger ears. As far as imaging goes, I think that's something the 1R does better than the Momentum.

Subjective much.

Sonically I found them to be different enough, especially the Momentum's superior sub bass extension. Also if you're lucky enough to have ears like mine (around 65mm tall), you'll find them to be no less comfortable than the Sonys. 

Is it worth $40 more? Personally speaking "yes." Others with big ears will say "no."

Feb 13, 2014 at 4:07 PM Post #1,602 of 4,373
  Subjective much.

Sonically I found them to be different enough, especially the Momentum's superior sub bass extension. Also if you're lucky enough to have ears like mine (around 65mm tall), you'll find them to be no less comfortable than the Sonys. 

Is it worth $40 more? Personally speaking "yes." Others with big ears will say "no."

Get over yourself. Are we really at a point where we need to put "IMO" in front of everything we write? You've been here long enough to know everything on this forum is based on personal experience. So, of course it's subjective. I'll fix it for you.

IMO, he's going to be happier with the 1R and find more value in it.

Feb 13, 2014 at 4:32 PM Post #1,603 of 4,373
IMO, he's going to be happier with the 1R and find more value in it.

Thank you.

Feb 13, 2014 at 7:59 PM Post #1,604 of 4,373

Hello,

Go for the 1R for more mids centric, smooth and detailed. 1R also offer wider soundstage, imaging, tighter bass. However, Momentum wins in deep sub bass and powerful. Momentum also offer more balanced and natural sound than the slightly colored sound of 1R. The Momentum will sound warmer and darker.

In terms of comfort, I find the 1R way more comfortable than the on-ear like feeling of Momentum as I have slightly bigger ears

If you want natural sound, go for Momentum. If you want wider soundstage, go for 1R.

Hope it helps
Billson :)

Feb 13, 2014 at 8:14 PM Post #1,605 of 4,373
It is simple. Sound signature aside, the first determinant for choosing between Sony 1R and Senn Momentum will be your ear size.

Big ears --> 1R

Users who are viewing this thread

Back