Comparisons: 36 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around
Feb 14, 2014 at 9:26 AM Post #1,621 of 4,373
I definitely would like to try the H6s and definitely love their "natural leather"/silver-gray combo!!! I think that even if I don't like how it sounds, I'll probably keep it just for how it looks! lol :wink:

Feb 14, 2014 at 11:39 AM Post #1,623 of 4,373
I guess that's no different than buying a 400 dollar pair of shoes. Gotta look good to play good. Haha.

Watches as well... (looking into a couple of them at the moment! :wink:)

Feb 14, 2014 at 5:02 PM Post #1,624 of 4,373
  This thread (I think I mentioned it in my first post) was for closed/portable headphones for on-the-go only. So for now I suppose, I'd like to keep it on that topic. 
redface.gif

Full sized and portables don't really mix IMO. Do you have any in mind?

If they are closed then they are portable. Who cares what other people think, let them stare.

Feb 14, 2014 at 5:19 PM Post #1,625 of 4,373
If they are closed then they are portable. Who cares what other people think, let them stare.

Believe it or not, it does matter to a lot of people. Some closed headphones just aren't designed for portable use. Maybe someone would actually try to wear a LCD-XC walking around town, but it isn't exactly practical. Bringing it on a trip and using it in a hotel room, however, is a different story.

Feb 14, 2014 at 5:30 PM Post #1,626 of 4,373
I have a pair of Mikros 90s coming my way soon. 

Feb 14, 2014 at 9:19 PM Post #1,628 of 4,373

I'm not concerned with what others think, but say with the W3000ANV or TH900, I wouldn't feel safe with the wood being exposed to the elements. Plus, I don't feel comfortable leaving the house with such expensive headphones (and long cables).

Feb 15, 2014 at 12:58 AM Post #1,630 of 4,373
After reading through all this, i am stuck deciding between:

NAD Viso hp50
B&O H6
Sennheiser HD 8 DJ

the hp50 and H6 scored highest in Bass, Mids, Treble, and Imaging. I dont care about comfort or style, only sound.
If I will be using these to both produce (monitor/mix) and listen to EDM, Rock, Metal, Hardcore, and Folk which would be the best choice? 

I'd like to get one that is closest to a bass effect similar to the Dre Beats Studios 2013/exec where you feel immersed in the sound rather than just hearing the bass notes,  so it seems like I should like the hp50 or HD 8 DJ...but the H6 was scored with a better sound stage so I'm not sure.

Please let me know if you have any input!

Feb 15, 2014 at 1:11 AM Post #1,631 of 4,373
  After reading through all this, i am stuck deciding between:

NAD Viso hp50
B&O H6
Sennheiser HD 8 DJ

the hp50 and H6 scored highest in Bass, Mids, Treble, and Imaging. I dont care about comfort or style, only sound.
If I will be using these to both produce (monitor/mix) and listen to EDM, Rock, Metal, Hardcore, and Folk which would be the best choice? 

I'd like to get one that is closest to a bass effect similar to the Dre Beats Studios 2013/exec where you feel immersed in the sound rather than just hearing the bass notes,  so it seems like I should like the hp50 or HD 8 DJ...but the H6 was scored with a better sound stage so I'm not sure.

Please let me know if you have any input!

"Immersed in the sound [of bass]" means that the bass is flooding the middle frequencies and wrecking the tonalities of instruments and voices and / or even wiping them out. There is nothing wrong with that if that is what you prefer but you have to be sure that it is exactly what you want if you ask for an advice and plan to spend your money on new headphones.

Feb 15, 2014 at 1:25 AM Post #1,632 of 4,373
Well I know some headphones are described as bass-light, others say they have a bit of bass boost but it doesn't disturb the mids. I've been searching these forums for probably an accumulative total of 10-15 hours or so this week trying to find a good pair to buy in the 300-400$ range. I narrowed it  down to:

out of the Viso Hp 50, B&O H6, Sennheiser 595, HD8 DJ and any similar headphone, and I guess I want to know which of these keeps great sound quality without being bass-light. If theres some rumble with the bass than I can really enjoy EDM and dub step, but I still want to be able to hear rock and folk without the bass drowning it out..From what I read the HP 50 can do this, but I'd like to hear about the 595 or HD8 DJ. Or any other similar headphone that fits these needs.

in short: A good monitor/mixing/listening headphone with the clearest highs, mids, trebble, big soundstage, but also the most bass quantity.

Feb 15, 2014 at 1:58 AM Post #1,633 of 4,373
Curious to your thoughts?

I find them very big sounding headphones for such a small product.

That's encouraging coming from you. Any similarities to the HP50, or totally different sound signatures?

Feb 15, 2014 at 2:00 AM Post #1,634 of 4,373

in short: A good monitor/mixing/listening headphone with the clearest highs, mids, trebble, big soundstage, but also the most bass quantity.

Sony 7520 meets most of these...only the sound stage isn't the widest in the world.  Pretty much it's only shortcoming as far as I'm concerned.  I've tried the H6 and the HP50 and neither do bass as well as the 7520.  I have't tried the others you mentioned so I can't confirm.  None of them sound like the Studio 2013s from a bass perspective.  It's definitely improved over the rest of the Beats line, but still, for the price, there are better options for the bass you crave (7520, M100, etc).

Feb 15, 2014 at 2:00 AM Post #1,635 of 4,373
Well I know some headphones are described as bass-light, others say they have a bit of bass boost but it doesn't disturb the mids. I've been searching these forums for probably an accumulative total of 10-15 hours or so this week trying to find a good pair to buy in the 300-400$ range. I narrowed it  down to:

out of the Viso Hp 50, B&O H6, Sennheiser 595, HD8 DJ and any similar headphone, and I guess I want to know which of these keeps great sound quality without being bass-light. If theres some rumble with the bass than I can really enjoy EDM and dub step, but I still want to be able to hear rock and folk without the bass drowning it out..From what I read the HP 50 can do this, but I'd like to hear about the 595 or HD8 DJ. Or any other similar headphone that fits these need

I would recommend the HP 50.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back