Comparisons: 36 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around
Feb 7, 2014 at 10:45 PM Post #1,531 of 4,373

I also had the Monster N-Pulse and I have to tell you, they have been one of the best $100 I have spent in headphones purchases (they usually sell even cheaper on eBay... note that 'm talking about the N-Pulse and not the N-Tune :wink:). Monster seem to be doing excellent products lately. I actually bought the DNA Pro over-ears to try them out. 

Just to confirm, these are the DNA headphones, not the N-Pulse, which are really good too!

What do you think of the DNA Pros? I'm curious. 
smile.gif

Feb 7, 2014 at 11:10 PM Post #1,532 of 4,373
Well after many many decisions I've narrowed it down to the B&W P7 and the B&O H6... anybody got any suggestions? Are the P7's really that uncomfortable? I found the Momentums difficult so comfort (and portability and sound of course) are pretty important to me. Also I go ampless from an iPhone 5S.

The last two HPs I demoed side by side (or as close to it as possible) were the H6s and P7s. Now, I did have more of a portable / airplane use in mind when I auditioned them. For that, I really wanted the bass on the P7s. I felt the H6 was too bass-light for the situation that I will be using these. I still want to get the H6 for home use eventually because of its comfort, #1, and its neutrality.

However, I'm pretty happy with my P7 purchase and use them at home as well on a regular basis.

The P7 can be adjusted to reduce clamping force. At least, that's what I did in my case. Also, once I was able to fit my ears in them, I thought they were comfortable. I do only listen for 2-3 hours straight at most, and usually only for about an hour at a time.

Feb 7, 2014 at 11:19 PM Post #1,533 of 4,373
  Okay, just finished A/Bing the HP50 and M500, and I have to admit that I think MH is spot on with his ranking in sound quality. The only think the M500 clearly outshines the HP50 in is treble. But I could basically care less about treble in the grand scheme of things (as long as it's adding to the clarity and transparency of the headphone). And that outshining isn't by leaps and bounds. And acually think the HP50 has more bass than the M500, it's just the soundstage is much wider than the KEF, and the bass, mids, and treble are tuned to be more neutral. Yet the bass reaches down when it needs too. Now, the M500 still holds its own against the Viso, but it presents a more intimate or smaller club sound than the HP50. Again, I'm not a treble fan, but the treble in the M500 is pretty amazing without being harsh. Right now I would say there's a tie in my enjoyment between the HP50 and On1 (haven't A/Bed these two yet but I know), and the M500 lagging just somewhat behind. So is the HP50 a lot better M500? Not really. They have some similarities, but enough differences in the sound signatures to stand apart on their own. If I could only have one, however, I think I would have to agree with MH and go with the HP50. I still enjoyed the KEF, however, quite a bit when I had them on my ears.But yes, the HP50 is the better performer.

As usual, excellent impressions eric! Thanks.

So now it appears I've got three new headphones to add: AKG K545s (thanks to dweaver for the loan) and Martin Logan Mikros (thanks to Beagle!!) and the Monster DNA on-ears (thanks to Monster for being part of the customer focus group). The Monsters are here now and boy, they are really good. I'm happy to say that with these and the DNA Pro (over-ears), Monster really does get that it's much more than just the styling and bass slam of the Monster Beats from before.

Excellent! I'm very interested in the 545's, and considering I just succumbed to the Mikros 90 hype machine, I'm very interested in your impressions of them as well :)

Feb 7, 2014 at 11:31 PM Post #1,534 of 4,373
  Just to confirm, these are the DNA headphones, not the N-Pulse, which are really good too!

What do you think of the DNA Pros? I'm curious. 
smile.gif

Oh my bad... I phrased that sentence the wrong way! lol.
Haven't received the DNA Pro's yet. Hopefully my Tuesday next week or so.!

Feb 8, 2014 at 1:16 AM Post #1,535 of 4,373
I found the H6s much more comfortable than the P7s. The H6s are also more portable than the P7s due to being lighter/smaller, though you will need to buy a case for them as MH mentioned. Sound-wise, I need to spend more time with the H6s, but both performed well with the music I tried them with; the P7s being darker/fuller (not overly so). Didn't try them with an iPhone, but both were easily driven by the 'latest' iPod Classic; that is, to a reasonable enough volume, to get the most out them perhaps they could be amped (though these are marketed at the Apple crowd).

I think both are great choices :)  

IMO the H6 is more than durable and I believe it can sit in our bags xD

Feb 10, 2014 at 4:48 AM Post #1,539 of 4,373
Dear MH, can you kindly also include the weight of the headphones in your rankings the next time you update the table? I think weight is also an important variable in comparing portables. The weight of a pair of headphones have influence on the comfort and the portability.

Including the upcoming reviews, I think the Thinksound On1 is probably the lightest behind the DT-1350?

Feb 10, 2014 at 6:21 AM Post #1,540 of 4,373
Not really, I believe when MH is calculating a headphone's comfort and portability, he will take weight into accounts :) +1 all the headphones reviewed are meant for portable or on the go use so it should be at least, lighter in weight than things like your DAP + amp stacks xD IMO

Feb 10, 2014 at 6:56 AM Post #1,541 of 4,373
Not really, I believe when MH is calculating a headphone's comfort and portability, he will take weight into accounts
smily_headphones1.gif
+1 all the headphones reviewed are meant for portable or on the go use so it should be at least, lighter in weight than things like your DAP + amp stacks xD IMO

Then I wonder why the Beat Executive has the highest portability rating (5) with the Aviators following behind at rating 4. Both seem larger and heavier than the DT1350 which has a rating of 3.5.

Many factors contribute to a person's subjective opinions on portability and comfort. 
Variables like weight however, are objective.

Feb 10, 2014 at 7:59 AM Post #1,542 of 4,373
Just listened to the bw p7 in an apple store. Sounds like a phonak pfe 232 but meaner treble... heavy hitting subbass, very enhanced treble and huuge stage.
I auditioned the kef m500 as well and prefer it clearly over the p7.

Kinda disappointed after seeing all the positive reviews. My esw11 still destroys them. :))

Feb 10, 2014 at 8:09 AM Post #1,543 of 4,373
Then I wonder why the Beat Executive has the highest portability rating (5) with the Aviators following behind at rating 4. Both seem larger and heavier than the DT1350 which has a rating of 3.5.

Many factors contribute to a person's subjective opinions on portability and comfort. 
Variables like weight however, are objective.

Both are foldable for storage :) while the DT1350 can't if I am not mistaken

Feb 10, 2014 at 8:13 AM Post #1,544 of 4,373
Both are foldable for storage
smily_headphones1.gif
while the DT1350 can't if I am not mistaken

Really?

If you mean foldable as in at the cups, then the HP-50 has the same portability rating as the DT-1350 according to MH. So is he saying they are very similar in portability? Why then does the H6 have a rating of 3?

I'm just suggesting that having their weights in the table is an objective measure of the headphones in discussion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back