Comfortable full size closed headphones with HD25 sound signature?
Sep 27, 2011 at 10:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

nw130d

100+ Head-Fier
I find the sound of the HD25-1 ii very addictive but the clamping force not so much. In the "Closed Cans Shootout" review on headfonia, Mike stated that the K181dj has similar sound signature as HD25 but with even higher clamping force!...

So the question is anyone know of comfortable closed full size cans that are circumaural, with similar sound signature and attack speed of the HD25? Thanks

Sep 27, 2011 at 10:48 PM Post #2 of 17
What is the sound signature you're looking for?

Sep 27, 2011 at 11:05 PM Post #3 of 17
Looking for clear-fast bass with a punch and a very slight treble kick while still having in your face mids (why I think HD25 is so great). Also ideally, with bigger cups hopefully comes with a bit more instrument [size=10.0pt]separation[/size] and bigger sound stage.

Sep 28, 2011 at 10:35 AM Post #4 of 17
I'd also be interested to hear what people have to say on this subject. I use HD25s for live monitoring when I'm playing electronic drums (I use ACS T1s for when I'm playing acoustic drums and they are absolutely incredible!). I'm pretty happy with the sound of the 25s but they get so hot to wear after a while and are very uncomfortable to wear on a 2+ hour show. I've been looking into AKG K271 Mk2s. Are there any comparisons that can be drawn between these two headphones from a sound sig point of view? Does anyone have any experience of the outside sound attenuation the k271s offer in very loud situations?

Sep 28, 2011 at 10:38 AM Post #5 of 17

Quote:
Looking for clear-fast bass with a punch and a very slight treble kick while still having in your face mids (why I think HD25 is so great). Also ideally, with bigger cups hopefully comes with a bit more instrument [size=10.0pt]separation[/size] and bigger sound stage.

Denon D2000.

Very best,

Sep 28, 2011 at 4:17 PM Post #6 of 17
The HFI-780's have a nice attack and detail for rock/metal music. 

Sep 28, 2011 at 4:24 PM Post #7 of 17
The AIAIAI TMA-1's are said to have less clamping force. They are still not circum-aural though and are said to be darker sounding. With the addition of a pad under the headband i find them to be very comfy.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk.

Sep 29, 2011 at 9:18 AM Post #9 of 17

Quote:
I've been looking into AKG K271 Mk2s. Are there any comparisons that can be drawn between these two headphones from a sound sig point of view?

I went from HD25s to K271 mkIIs after i got sick of my HD25s breaking (the left hand connector issue). i have to say the AKGs are fundamentally different headphones, really great, but different. they sound more laid back than the Senns. good isolation, the comfort and the easily removable/replaceable cable with no obvious weak spots are big pluses for me.

Sep 29, 2011 at 2:06 PM Post #10 of 17

Quote:
Denon D2000.
Very best,

The D2000 does look promising, pretty elegant looking too. MalVeauX do the D2000 require amping to get let say...90% of their performance? Also how good is the external sound isolation? It seems most Denons aren't very good, but how bad or average is it?

Sep 29, 2011 at 2:19 PM Post #11 of 17

Quote:
The D2000 does look promising, pretty elegant looking too. MalVeauX do the D2000 require amping to get let say...90% of their performance? Also how good is the external sound isolation? It seems most Denons aren't very good, but how bad or average is it?

Heya,

My D2000 sounds wonderful off my Sansa Fuze with no additional amplification. It also sounds great out of my Matrix CUBE (with amplifier). Is there a difference? Sure. I would say maybe approaching 1% difference if I was forced to quantify it. I would not worry about not having an amplifier. Most portable players, sound cards, and phones have plenty enough juice (and some a lot of juice) to power a Denon. External sound isolation is better than an open-air headphone, but less than a tightly sealed clamping headphone. I wear my Denon's outside and I don't have any issue with it's isolation. Yes, it's less isolated than a tightly squeezing DT770 or M50, but I would call it marginal. If you're worried about it leaking sound in the dead of silent at night in a house, they're still more quiet than a pair of open-airs. I would recommend them solidly, so long as maximum isolation is not desired. Maximum isolation headphones generally aren't that comfortable though, keep that in mind (most use the property of sealing from pressure to make that isolation).

Very best,

Sep 29, 2011 at 2:25 PM Post #12 of 17

Quote:
The HFI-780's have a nice attack and detail for rock/metal music. 

Not that looks should matter but I guess it does lol... the looks of HFI-780 don't do it for me

Quote:
The AIAIAI TMA-1's are said to have less clamping force. They are still not circum-aural though and are said to be darker sounding. With the addition of a pad under the headband i find them to be very comfy.
Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk.

It seems TMA-1 seems like a very good alternative to to HD25 but think I rather have an around ear. 

Quote:
i would go with hd448, the only problem is the bass roll off

I could be wrong but I thought the hd448 is a open can? and looking for a bass performer along with other freqs

Thanks rowett guess the k271 isnt what I am looking for.

Sep 29, 2011 at 2:31 PM Post #13 of 17

Quote:
Heya,

My D2000 sounds wonderful off my Sansa Fuze with no additional amplification. It also sounds great out of my Matrix CUBE (with amplifier). Is there a difference? Sure. I would say maybe approaching 1% difference if I was forced to quantify it. I would not worry about not having an amplifier. Most portable players, sound cards, and phones have plenty enough juice (and some a lot of juice) to power a Denon. External sound isolation is better than an open-air headphone, but less than a tightly sealed clamping headphone. I wear my Denon's outside and I don't have any issue with it's isolation. Yes, it's less isolated than a tightly squeezing DT770 or M50, but I would call it marginal. If you're worried about it leaking sound in the dead of silent at night in a house, they're still more quiet than a pair of open-airs. I would recommend them solidly, so long as maximum isolation is not desired. Maximum isolation headphones generally aren't that comfortable though, keep that in mind (most use the property of sealing from pressure to make that isolation).

Very best,

Thanks for the info, seems like they are what I am looking for. I'll will look into it and go demo a pair.

Sep 29, 2011 at 3:10 PM Post #14 of 17

Quote:

I could be wrong but I thought the hd448 is a open can? and looking for a bass performer along with other freqs

nope the hd448 is fully close and offers a good amount of isolation, they offer very punchy hard hitting bass, a little less than the hd25 in quantity.

Sep 30, 2011 at 6:29 PM Post #15 of 17
has anyone heard of the AKG k550 yet? It seems there is only one review on head-fi

Users who are viewing this thread

Back