Closed vs open headphones
Oct 13, 2008 at 5:38 PM Post #61 of 64
Well,after getting HD650 ,I feel open headphone in some respect is much better as compared to closed one .Sound pressure built up due to closed headphones makes them unbearable to wear them for a long time straight .

Whereas ,If other people are sitting in the room,then I feel its much better to listen music using closed headphones as others tend to get disturb .

Oct 13, 2008 at 6:19 PM Post #62 of 64
HD25-1 vs HD595, well i love both, different applications though, i don't feel bad about HD25-1 in public, though i think this closed cans is better for receiving the 'full effect' of music being driven forcefully into your ears rather than allowing yourself to listen deeper into the music with something open that gives it more room to move. i tend to wear closed phones if i'm listening to straight techno trance or breaks but i find myself selecting other styles like dub, ambient or minimal / glitch with the open ones. it's partly about mood, i give myself more time (laid back attitude for open cans) & partly application (need for isolation) that decide for me.

but - i'm starting to enjoy the open ones more. i think i notice open cans 'opening up' more than i did with closed cans.

Oct 29, 2008 at 12:25 PM Post #63 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by stuge(original) /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well,after getting HD650 ,I feel open headphone in some respect is much better as compared to closed one .Sound pressure built up due to closed headphones makes them unbearable to wear them for a long time straight .

Whereas ,If other people are sitting in the room,then I feel its much better to listen music using closed headphones as others tend to get disturb .

Are you sure you are using them at similar volume? The cd3000 is much more sensible than the hd650.
The only thing that would make the cd3000 unbearable for me to wear for a long time would be that they make your ears very hot.
Other than that I think closed vs open is just a design choice, the closed design can be just as good or better than open design (ie: in my headphone list my 3 favorites are actually closed headphones, the first open one is only 4th)

Mar 11, 2011 at 8:42 PM Post #64 of 64

Quote:
Closed headphones necessarily reduce sound from outside of them. Regardless of amount of isolation, there is a physical barrier that can and does deflect external and internal sound.

Open headphones necessarily allow most outside sound through open spaces in them or around them, unaltered or nearly so.

There is physically no way around the above two points, comparing a fully open headphone to a fully closed headphone. Closed headphones are likely to cause your ears to get warm, where open are likely not to.

Quote:

This is due to the fact that the Driver is not moving in both directions because it is held at one side to reduce resonance.

confused.gif
Fail. The driver must move in both directions, and be able to move as much in one direction as the other, to produce a given frequency of sound at a given amplitude.

My limited opinion? I trust engineers to do what they can to make something good for the price, and use the best design for the sound they are going for, within their various design limits. Each headphone you listen to, from conception to your head, is the result of more compromises than I think any of us want to comprehend. Headphones are no different than any other piece of technology.

I think me meant not going back further than they came forward (their origination point) like having more of a barrier on how far they could go back by going in one direction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back