Closed vs open headphones
Sep 28, 2008 at 7:58 AM Post #17 of 64
My favorite closed headphones, my R10's are not good at isolation at all.

My favorite open headphones, my K1000's don't isolate at all, quite the opposite.
biggrin.gif

-Ed

Sep 28, 2008 at 7:58 AM Post #18 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by QQQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Will i live till that day when Nocturnal310 stops to EDUCATE everyone on Head-fi...?

There are 2 types of people on forums

the First say something which invites criticism or praise.

the 2nd types just keep replying to others and not say anything themselves.

Why dont u explain once and for all. i ll listen and understand

Sep 28, 2008 at 8:06 AM Post #19 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My favorite closed headphones, my R10's are not good at isolation at all.

My favorite open headphones, my K1000's don't isolate at all, quite the opposite.
biggrin.gif

-Ed

Lets debate the other way round.

What is the Advantage of CLOSED headphones over Open other than sound isolation?

Sep 28, 2008 at 8:25 AM Post #20 of 64
Quote:

There are 2 types of people on forums

the First say something which invites criticism or praise.

the 2nd types just keep replying to others and not say anything themselves.

Why dont u explain once and for all. i ll listen and understand

Actually there's 3-rd type also. It's called Nocturnal310

And what can i explain to you once and for all? Everything?
I can explain only one thing:listen-first, say-second. And that was said to you numerous times by different people.

Sep 28, 2008 at 8:35 AM Post #21 of 64
Nocturnal310. Ok! So your statement was based on your own experience only, and just for similar priced open- and closed-back headphones. Meaning that you still open up for the fact that closed-back headphones can beat open-back headphones. But only if they are more (or less?) expensive.

Its a general consensus among most of us that its more difficult to create a great sounding closed-back headphone than an open-back one, since more thought, design hours, materials, ... need to be put down to control the back wave. Hence why they may be more expensive.
Closed-back headphones can produce sound on par with open-back headphones though, if done properly!

Sep 28, 2008 at 2:21 PM Post #22 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If designed and done properly I am under the impression that closed-back headphones can sound just as good as open-back ones.

Take the Stax SR-404 vs. Stax 4070 as an example. They both use the same transducers (and cable), and the 4070 in no way stand back against the SR-404 when it comes to sound quality.

Too bad the 4070 costs more than three times the 404.

You seem to acknowledge that, though:
Quote:

Its a general consensus among most of us that its more difficult to create a great sounding closed-back headphone than an open-back one, since more thought, design hours, materials, ... need to be put down to control the back wave. Hence why they may be more expensive.
Closed-back headphones can produce sound on par with open-back headphones though, if done properly!

Which still brings us back to the question: "Why would you ever buy closed headphones if you don't need isolation?"

Sep 29, 2008 at 12:05 PM Post #23 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Closed headphones cannot sound as good as Open headphones.

This statement seems to be irrrrr well you know.
but I like this statement.He just said what he feel based on his experience and he knew people will begin to debate the statement.
Just look at a good side of the story such a statement causes spicy
Discussions.
Yummy
beerchug.gif

Sep 29, 2008 at 12:13 PM Post #24 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by coolcat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This statement seems to be irrrrr well you know.
but I like this statement.He just said what he feel based on his experience and he knew people will begin to debate the statement.
Just look at a good side of the story such a statement causes spicy
Discussions.
Yummy
beerchug.gif

As Robonaut said Quote:

Which still brings us back to the question: "Why would you ever buy closed headphones if you don't need isolation?"

Why would u go for something like that? ... i could have bought HD280 but no..i bought HD555 for obvious reasons.

Sep 29, 2008 at 12:29 PM Post #25 of 64
Quote:

This Closed v/s Open is my opinion.

i prefer Open.

because Audio experience is also about HOW sound reaches your ear.

Now for example... someone mentioned Sony R10 are king of Dynamic? ...but i think they are not superior to K1000 when it comes to Dynamic.

I can talk more about R10 v/s K1000 debate but the Comparison is already done HERE

In general, if u buy an Open & a Closed headphone of same price category ..then Closed cannot feel as good as open.

Take for example HD280 v/s HD555 ... both sound damn good.. HD280 are awesome for monitoring at a home studio ... BUT which one would u prefer for listening to music ? definitely HD280 is the conditions are ideal..such as silent room & enough burn in.

the Closed in sub $100 category suffer from Bass emphasis , Resonance issues & Lack of real Soundstage... not to mention your Ears will Sweat before u can even understand them.

u compare A700 to AD700 for example ... A700 is a closed Audio technica whereas AD700 is open... u just try listening to both.

Open will certainly sound more natural even if Sound Quality is slightly inferior.

Even i can enjoy Closed headphones but the priority are Open. .. guess what? ..next friday i am going to Try Sony R10.

maybe they 'll give me a perspective. ..but for now in same price category .. Open can beat Closed in overall experience

Why say all this when you've never heard the r10 before yourself. You said that you don't agree that r10 is the kind of dynamics instead of k1000 when you've not heard it. I know you mentioned think. But you have not heard it yet so what made you think so and write it down? In addition, you're basing on a comparison written by some other people and not your own experience on the part on the r10 and k1000. Other than the comparison you gave between hd 280/555 , everything that you said were mere assumptions.
"Open will certainly sound more natural even if Sound Quality is slightly inferior."

Sep 29, 2008 at 12:57 PM Post #26 of 64
Quote:

As Robonaut said

Why would u go for something like that? ... i could have bought HD280 but no..i bought HD555 for obvious reasons.

yo I love the open cans more than the closed too.Cuz of the price,soundstage etc .
for my last post I didn't sarcastically mean it. I just seriously like your statement,cuz it's straight.It really brings more people to come out and give their comments.
I always accept and respect all the comments because it's very personal when it comes to the discusstion about headphone.
beerchug.gif

Sep 29, 2008 at 1:36 PM Post #27 of 64
What if I say the HP-DX1000 has larger soundstage than the HD650?

Sep 29, 2008 at 1:37 PM Post #28 of 64
For me, open headphones are just flat out less headphone-y than closed headphones.

Why? Because the ideal type -I- have of headphones somewhere in my head are those that come with a bit of isolation. I always felt the light, open, junk headphones they gave away for free with every other device in the 90's were crap. The first pairs I tried that were large and closed were like dimming the lights when watching a movie - they cut out distractions without blasting your ears.

Granted, I have a couple pairs of nice open headphones, and I like them. But neighbors, the dehumidifier, AC, and life in general makes enjoying them a royal pain at times.

I'll grant that good sounding closed headphones have some of their "value" taken up by isolation - I'm sure it costs a tad bit more to engineer a good sounding headphone without the cheat of just leaving the back baffle open. That makes speakers sound good too, if you have 15-20 feet of space behind them that you don't need! And sound treat the wall, and...

So I guess I view open headphones as a cheap hack. Sure, they sound good, but at a compromise to their basic headphone-ness.

Sep 29, 2008 at 2:51 PM Post #29 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by nor_spoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What if I say the HP-DX1000 has larger soundstage than the HD650?

yo you can say that if you already listened to them both(and I guess you already did).
but like krmathis said
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nocturnal310. Ok! So your statement was based on your own experience only, and just for similar priced open- and closed-back headphones. Meaning that you still open up for the fact that closed-back headphones can beat open-back headphones. But only if they are more (or less?) expensive.

well Just want to make it clear. I have the same idea as the quote above
what If I say the HP-DX1000 costs 3-4 times the HD650?
such a question will go on and on.
I think you know what I'm talking about

Sep 29, 2008 at 2:59 PM Post #30 of 64
Quote:

I can talk more about R10 v/s K1000 debate ...

...next friday i am going to Try Sony R10.

Please don't comment on headphones you've not heard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back