Closed vs open headphones
Sep 29, 2008 at 4:59 PM Post #31 of 64
Before you guys respond all too seriously on Nocturnal310's marvelous statement, a search on his past post would reveal that it wasn't his debut.
biggrin.gif
Unfortunately, it appears to be his chosen lifestyle.

Sep 29, 2008 at 5:04 PM Post #32 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Navyblue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Before you guys respond all too seriously on Nocturnal310's marvelous statement, a search on his past post would reveal that it wasn't his debut.
biggrin.gif

Subtle he ain't.
icon10.gif

Sep 29, 2008 at 5:16 PM Post #33 of 64
Quote:

biggrin.gif

Well said!
angry_face.gif

Sep 29, 2008 at 5:27 PM Post #35 of 64
Closed headphones necessarily reduce sound from outside of them. Regardless of amount of isolation, there is a physical barrier that can and does deflect external and internal sound.

Open headphones necessarily allow most outside sound through open spaces in them or around them, unaltered or nearly so.

There is physically no way around the above two points, comparing a fully open headphone to a fully closed headphone. Closed headphones are likely to cause your ears to get warm, where open are likely not to.

Quote:

This is due to the fact that the Driver is not moving in both directions because it is held at one side to reduce resonance.

confused.gif
Fail. The driver must move in both directions, and be able to move as much in one direction as the other, to produce a given frequency of sound at a given amplitude.

My limited opinion? I trust engineers to do what they can to make something good for the price, and use the best design for the sound they are going for, within their various design limits. Each headphone you listen to, from conception to your head, is the result of more compromises than I think any of us want to comprehend. Headphones are no different than any other piece of technology.

Sep 29, 2008 at 5:33 PM Post #37 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by QQQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In that thread i tried to do the right thing in post #4, but no one listened
icon10.gif

Actually, it was your post that prompted me to post on that thread.
biggrin.gif

Before that I thought "here he goes again" and wanted to just ignore him. After reading your post I'm glad that I'm not alone.
biggrin.gif

Sep 29, 2008 at 5:40 PM Post #38 of 64
Quote:

They are the best things on earth, buy them all, and don't come back.

Thought you guys were not seriously meant that in that thread !!
biggrin.gif

well then
beerchug.gif

Sep 30, 2008 at 11:13 AM Post #42 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio-Omega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What about Audio Technica ATH-W5000 and Sennheiser HD650, which is better ?

I haven't heard the W5000, but if the W1000 I heard is any indication, among the two I'd pick the HD650. But that doesn't mean W5000 is objectively worse. I'm afraid only your ears are able to answer your question.

Sep 30, 2008 at 2:47 PM Post #43 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by QQQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In that thread i tried to do the right thing in post #4, but no one listened
icon10.gif

Nice try!
biggrin.gif

But (sadly?) it did not go on as expected...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back