Closed vs open headphones
Sep 27, 2008 at 3:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 64

wolf18t

100+ Head-Fier
Reading the forum I often find comments about closed vs open headphones. Some even say that closed headphones are not for them. Other than isolation, what generally differienciate both family?

I only heard and have open headphones in my inventory, sorry if this question is quite basic for some.

Sep 27, 2008 at 4:24 PM Post #2 of 64
i can do basic!

no real need for closed cans other than for isolation purposes, well maybe more bass. it's just for your listening environment. there is often a compromise through modding (drilling tiny holes, or strategically blocking some vents on open cans). in an ideal world, i would be wearing HD650 on the bus but others might not like it.

Sep 27, 2008 at 5:07 PM Post #3 of 64
Apart from the obvious sound isolation there are very few general differences.
One may be that closed-back headphones in general have more bass volume, while another may be that open-back headphones in general have a more open/larger headstage.

If done designed properly, both designs can sound really stunning and on par with each other.
o2smile.gif

Sep 27, 2008 at 6:49 PM Post #4 of 64
I have a pair of HD650 and CD3K. They have different sound signatures, but I think that's due to the inherent differences in their designs (and they're both very good). Now, if there's one thing I don't like about the CD3K it's that it tend to build up 'pressure' (I don't know if that's the right term) at a faster rate than the HD650. I don't if this is due to the fact that it's a closed headphone, but I suspect that it is.

Sep 27, 2008 at 7:13 PM Post #5 of 64
Closed headphones cannot sound as good as Open headphones.

This is due to the fact that the Driver is not moving in both directions because it is held at one side to reduce resonance.

Sep 27, 2008 at 7:21 PM Post #6 of 64
I have both open and closed cans. I like variety. Both can sound good depending on design. My two favourte cans are the Grado 325i and the AKG 271s. Both are very different animals, but I enjoy what each one has to offer.

Sep 27, 2008 at 7:55 PM Post #7 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That statement is certainly up for discussion!
popcorn.gif

If designed and done properly I am under the impression that closed-back headphones can sound just as good as open-back ones.

Take the Stax SR-404 vs. Stax 4070 as an example. They both use the same transducers (and cable), and the 4070 in no way stand back against the SR-404 when it comes to sound quality.
Lots of people around here seem to enjoy the Sony MDR-R10, Audio-technica ATH-L3000, and other closed-back headphones as well...

Sep 27, 2008 at 7:58 PM Post #8 of 64
Quote:

Oh really !? Could you elaborate then, why is the king of dynamic cans- Sony R10 a closed phone ?

Sep 27, 2008 at 9:10 PM Post #9 of 64
Quote:

This is due to the fact that the Driver is not moving in both directions because it is held at one side to reduce resonance.

How did you come to this conclusion?

Sep 27, 2008 at 10:38 PM Post #11 of 64
In my experience open headphones do generally sound better than closed phones (I used to own AKG271S, DT-250-250, HD280, HD25-1, W1000). Many closed phones sound rather unnatural to me. I always attribute this to resonance of the closed cup that is not easy to control, but that's just my theory. You should definitely try some, you might like or hate it.

Sep 28, 2008 at 7:06 AM Post #12 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is a common and unfortunate misconception.

Indeed!
..so I want 'Nocturnal310' to return to this thread and let us know how he made up such a strong statement. Perhaps he have auditioned them all (closed and open-back ones) and find open-back ones to be more of his taste?

Sep 28, 2008 at 7:12 AM Post #13 of 64
I have owned quite a few open backed headphones and i honestly prefer closed over them
smily_headphones1.gif
Its really a matter of taste! I like to be isolated with my music so nothing can bother me, sort of drags me into the music alot more then open has for some odd reason.

Sep 28, 2008 at 7:20 AM Post #14 of 64
Personally I think that if you like the sound of an open phone, you can find a closed counterpart that suits you as well, and vice versa.

this isnt something that you can put fact on, headphones as a general topic is completely opinion based.

for example:

I could say that I like Bose Triports more than R10s. Now, obviously, this would be a statement that MANY people on this forum would disagree with. it doesn't make it untrue, though - if I like what I'm hearing, I like what I'm hearing.

Personally, I seem to prefer open cans, but I'm about to get a pair of HFI-780, followed by a GS1000, so I like both types. They both have their purposes.

***DISCLAIMER***

the above opinion is not the true statement of above poster, as he has never heard either headphone listed, and probably never will. you can, however, give him your R-10s, if you feel so inclined.
biggrin.gif

Sep 28, 2008 at 7:39 AM Post #15 of 64
This Closed v/s Open is my opinion.

i prefer Open.

because Audio experience is also about HOW sound reaches your ear.

Now for example... someone mentioned Sony R10 are king of Dynamic? ...but i think they are not superior to K1000 when it comes to Dynamic.

I can talk more about R10 v/s K1000 debate but the Comparison is already done HERE

In general, if u buy an Open & a Closed headphone of same price category ..then Closed cannot feel as good as open.

Take for example HD280 v/s HD555 ... both sound damn good.. HD280 are awesome for monitoring at a home studio ... BUT which one would u prefer for listening to music ? definitely HD280 is the conditions are ideal..such as silent room & enough burn in.

the Closed in sub $100 category suffer from Bass emphasis , Resonance issues & Lack of real Soundstage... not to mention your Ears will Sweat before u can even understand them.

u compare A700 to AD700 for example ... A700 is a closed Audio technica whereas AD700 is open... u just try listening to both.

Open will certainly sound more natural even if Sound Quality is slightly inferior.

Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lots of people around here seem to enjoy the Sony MDR-R10, Audio-technica ATH-L3000, and other closed-back headphones as well...

Even i can enjoy Closed headphones but the priority are Open. .. guess what? ..next friday i am going to Try Sony R10.

maybe they 'll give me a perspective. ..but for now in same price category .. Open can beat Closed in overall experience

Users who are viewing this thread

Back