Closed. Flat response. Soundstage. Does something like that exists?
Jan 7, 2013 at 10:21 AM Post #31 of 86
Quote:
Whatever you've been reading is wrong then
redface.gif
- firstly, in the whole "newer is better you need more "tech" to be good" mythos (it's bunk with speakers - not much has changed since the 1940s), and secondly in the criticisms of Koss. The DJ100 are a fantastic candidate for what you want, and do not require an amplifier. None of the cans I suggested are boomy, per request. I couldn't stand the M50 either (I really think we probably have similar tastes - hence why I'm steering you away from extremely cold cans; I kind of "get" what you're looking for, but analytical, detailed, and natural does not have to mean cold, and cold is very fatiguing over time).
The A900X are also a fine choice, assuming they will fit your head. I think you'd be happy with either honestly. As far as the pricing, I've seen them between $220 and $299 at Best Buy, it seems seasonal.

The DJ100 seems good, but the coiled cable is a major con :E

Quote:
I own both the Shure SRH940 and the AKG K550. The AKG has a wider soundstage but it almost sounds like it's less cohesive than the 940s. In my opinion, the Shure is more full-bodied sounding (maybe because the bass seems a touch more prominent) and makes nuances stick out more than the AKG. That's not to say that the K550 isn't detailed; it is, but it's a little more subtle. At times the wide soundstage of the K550 sounds a little strange with music, but if you want it for gaming, it's a top choice in terms of soundstage width from a closed headphone.

There are issues with both headphones though. As mentioned before, the K550 can be a little fickle in terms of fit. If you have a smaller sized head, it may not seal properly. The SRH940, on the other hand, doesn't feel like it's constructed all that well and there have been reports of the headband cracking. However, I'm sure if you don't abuse the headphones then it shouldn't be a problem. Mine are still fine, but it's just something that's on my mind every time I put it on and take it off.

Which one has better isolation in your opinion?

Jan 7, 2013 at 11:19 AM Post #32 of 86
the koss dj 200 is the same as the 100 but with removable cable and remote.

i would say k550 is on par with srh940 regarding isolation, if you can get a good seal with the somehow big cups of the akg.

Jan 7, 2013 at 11:19 AM Post #33 of 86
Quote:
I own both the Shure SRH940 and the AKG K550. The AKG has a wider soundstage but it almost sounds like it's less cohesive than the 940s. In my opinion, the Shure is more full-bodied sounding (maybe because the bass seems a touch more prominent) and makes nuances stick out more than the AKG. That's not to say that the K550 isn't detailed; it is, but it's a little more subtle. At times the wide soundstage of the K550 sounds a little strange with music, but if you want it for gaming, it's a top choice in terms of soundstage width from a closed headphone.

There are issues with both headphones though. As mentioned before, the K550 can be a little fickle in terms of fit. If you have a smaller sized head, it may not seal properly. The SRH940, on the other hand, doesn't feel like it's constructed all that well and there have been reports of the headband cracking. However, I'm sure if you don't abuse the headphones then it shouldn't be a problem. Mine are still fine, but it's just something that's on my mind every time I put it on and take it off.

I full agree with your wiev of the fullier bloodied sounding Shure in front of the more spacious AKG, but i would like to point another difference, the Shure fails a bit short in the low basses. AKG has a very good bass extension (provided you get a good seal), and shure has a notorious roll-off in the lowest notes. 

In any case both are great headphones, two of my favorites.

Jan 7, 2013 at 11:21 AM Post #34 of 86
i had both at the same time and can easily say, that the shure expands even deeper and gives a better rumble, when the music calls for. the soundstage of the k550 may be a tad wider, but lacks depth and precision compared to the shure.

Jan 7, 2013 at 1:09 PM Post #35 of 86
Quote:
the koss dj 200 is the same as the 100 but with removable cable and remote.

i would say k550 is on par with srh940 regarding isolation, if you can get a good seal with the somehow big cups of the akg.

Other thing that bothers me is the fact that they're circular, so I don't think they seal around the ear very good.

Quote:
I full agree with your wiev of the fullier bloodied sounding Shure in front of the more spacious AKG, but i would like to point another difference, the Shure fails a bit short in the low basses. AKG has a very good bass extension (provided you get a good seal), and shure has a notorious roll-off in the lowest notes. 

In any case both are great headphones, two of my favorites.

i had both at the same time and can easily say, that the shure expands even deeper and gives a better rumble, when the music calls for. the soundstage of the k550 may be a tad wider, but lacks depth and precision compared to the shure.

Eh, this is what I hate, people contradicting each other, doesn't exactly makes easier to choose headphones.

Jan 7, 2013 at 2:59 PM Post #36 of 86
My K550s had slightly less bass extension than my M50 and D5000 back when I had them. I haven't heard the SRH940 so I can't compare but I think I would agree with sofastreamer.

Jan 7, 2013 at 3:10 PM Post #39 of 86
If budget is no issue (which is not the case with OP but anyway) the Paradox is the best bet for fully closed headphone with extremely neutral and open* sound.

*as open as closed headphones can sound anyhow

Personally I don't dig perfectly neutral sound though, just too dry. I like a sound that is just as flat/smooth but with a little more emphasis on bass and lower midrange.

Jan 7, 2013 at 3:13 PM Post #40 of 86
Quote:

Which one has better isolation in your opinion?

As mentioned by sofastreamer, the two headphones are basically on par with each other. They are both great headphones; if you get a chance to a/b them, that might help you decide if it comes down to these two.

Jan 7, 2013 at 3:36 PM Post #42 of 86
http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=3571&graphID[]=3101

I have not heard the 940 but the K550 has pretty good, relatively flat bass extension. Denon D-X000 are flatter.

The only thing about the K550 is getting a good fit/seal. If you have a small head I wouldn't recommend them.

Jan 7, 2013 at 3:47 PM Post #43 of 86
Quote:
Beyerdynamic DT660. Nuff said.

Added to list, though they seem hard to find, still thanks.

Quote:
wait, soundmagic hp100 come to mind.

They have some good reviews, but the cable is coiled, which I don't really like.

Quote:
If budget is no issue (which is not the case with OP but anyway) the Paradox is the best bet for fully closed headphone with extremely neutral and open* sound.

*as open as closed headphones can sound anyhow

Personally I don't dig perfectly neutral sound though, just too dry. I like a sound that is just as flat/smooth but with a little more emphasis on bass and lower midrange.

They seem to have a smaller, albeit more accurate, soundstage than the Mad Dogs

Quote:
i would say the shure has a slight edge in detail and resolution. for me srh940 is a keeper. k550 went back to the shop.

Quote:
http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=3571&graphID[]=3101

I have not heard the 940 but the K550 has pretty good, relatively flat bass extension. Denon D-X000 are flatter.

The only thing about the K550 is getting a good fit/seal. If you have a small head I wouldn't recommend them.

For that price, the ATH-A900X appear to be better cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back