Closed. Flat response. Soundstage. Does something like that exists?
Jan 6, 2013 at 8:59 PM Post #16 of 86
Quote:
Why would you want to listen to that?
tongue.gif

Personal choice, and as for the recomendations, I've read all around the internet that Koss is stuck in the 80s, and haven't really progressed much tech-wise, that combined with the fact that I don't have an amp, nor money to buy one (all the moneys are going to the cans :p) doesn't make Koss a very appealing brand to me atm. I'll still look into them in detail to see what can I find, thanks.
And if I can say, I don't personally look for something boomy, that's why the ATH-M50 is not on my list, I want something really analytical, it's something that I enjoy while listening music, to analyse it.

Quote:

X2.  They have all 3 features you are looking for.

It's a very solid candidate, in fact, on par with my favourite so far, the ATH-A900X

Quote:
http://www.mrspeakers.com/index.php?route=common/home

I will look forward into it since they seem to ship to Mexico, thanks.

Jan 6, 2013 at 9:36 PM Post #17 of 86
Quote:
Eh, there seems to be a lot of complains about the upper mids, for a headphone that price, you'd expect better.

I hope you understand most of those complaints are exaggerated for the sake of comparison. Not every headphone is perfect, but Head-fi often makes it seem like every little flaw is a dealbreaker. Totally not the case. The bigger issue is the seal, IMO. But if you can get a seal, they are fantastic, and quite literally have the widest soundstage I've heard in a closed pair. Fits all your criteria, you can find one around $250 these days.

Jan 6, 2013 at 9:56 PM Post #18 of 86
Quote:

I hope you understand most of those complaints are exaggerated for the sake of comparison. Not every headphone is perfect, but Head-fi often makes it seem like every little flaw is a dealbreaker. Totally not the case. The bigger issue is the seal, IMO. But if you can get a seal, they are fantastic, and quite literally have the widest soundstage I've heard in a closed pair. Fits all your criteria, you can find one around $250 these days.

Thanks for the tip, I hope I could at least try them first.

Jan 6, 2013 at 11:55 PM Post #21 of 86
The KNS6400 soundstage is similar to the 8400. Not suitable for competitive gaming. The A900X is the best can on your list, but it might be a bit bright for some, the A700X is like the A900X but with much less low end impact and punch. The SRH940 is the most detailed(in fact it's the most detailed can I've ever heard), but it's soundstage doesn't compare the the audio technicas, hasn't got much impact at the little low end.

Jan 7, 2013 at 12:12 AM Post #23 of 86
Sounds like electrostatic to me.

Jan 7, 2013 at 12:39 AM Post #24 of 86
Quote:
The KNS6400 soundstage is similar to the 8400. Not suitable for competitive gaming. The A900X is the best can on your list, but it might be a bit bright for some, the A700X is like the A900X but with much less low end impact and punch. The SRH940 is the most detailed(in fact it's the most detailed can I've ever heard), but it's soundstage doesn't compare the the audio technicas, hasn't got much impact at the little low end.

Yeah, I'm ditching the KNS, there's better stuff. And the audio technicas seem to be the best ones so far, only the BRAINWAVZ tempt me so much with their price.

Quote:
I once heard the German Maestro GMP and they also have those three qualities.  (pours malt liquor on the floor for Acix)

Which specific model?

Jan 7, 2013 at 1:58 AM Post #25 of 86
My local Best Buy carries both the AKG K550 and A-T A900X, and I'd recommend either one, although they sound quite different.  I own a pair of SRH840's that I would consider analytical and I very nearly stepped up into SRH940's but went for a more fun (i.e. not analytical/cold) sounding headphone instead.

So from my somewhat limited experience, I'd like to echo the thoughts of many people before me:  A900X, K550, SRH940, in that order of preference :)

The former two are going to have much better soundstaging and imaging than the SRH940, that's why I'd recommend either of them.  I think if you're willing to mod a bit the K550's would be your best option, but A900X if you want to just pull it out of the box and have it be a winner.

Jan 7, 2013 at 2:11 AM Post #26 of 86
Quote:
My local Best Buy carries both the AKG K550 and A-T A900X, and I'd recommend either one, although they sound quite different.  I own a pair of SRH840's that I would consider analytical and I very nearly stepped up into SRH940's but went for a more fun (i.e. not analytical/cold) sounding headphone instead.

So from my somewhat limited experience, I'd like to echo the thoughts of many people before me:  A900X, K550, SRH940, in that order of preference :)

The former two are going to have much better soundstaging and imaging than the SRH940, that's why I'd recommend either of them.  I think if you're willing to mod a bit the K550's would be your best option, but A900X if you want to just pull it out of the box and have it be a winner.

Though the A900X is quite expensive @ Bestbuy!

Jan 7, 2013 at 2:50 AM Post #29 of 86
JCRG said:
  Personal choice, and as for the recomendations, I've read all around the internet that Koss is stuck in the 80s, and haven't really progressed much tech-wise, that combined with the fact that I don't have an amp, nor money to buy one (all the moneys are going to the cans :p) doesn't make Koss a very appealing brand to me atm. I'll still look into them in detail to see what can I find, thanks.
And if I can say, I don't personally look for something boomy, that's why the ATH-M50 is not on my list, I want something really analytical, it's something that I enjoy while listening music, to analyse it.

Whatever you've been reading is wrong then :xf_eek: - firstly, in the whole "newer is better you need more "tech" to be good" mythos (it's bunk with speakers - not much has changed since the 1940s), and secondly in the criticisms of Koss. The DJ100 are a fantastic candidate for what you want, and do not require an amplifier. None of the cans I suggested are boomy, per request. I couldn't stand the M50 either (I really think we probably have similar tastes - hence why I'm steering you away from extremely cold cans; I kind of "get" what you're looking for, but analytical, detailed, and natural does not have to mean cold, and cold is very fatiguing over time).

The A900X are also a fine choice, assuming they will fit your head. I think you'd be happy with either honestly. As far as the pricing, I've seen them between $220 and $299 at Best Buy, it seems seasonal.

Jan 7, 2013 at 3:40 AM Post #30 of 86
I own both the Shure SRH940 and the AKG K550. The AKG has a wider soundstage but it almost sounds like it's less cohesive than the 940s. In my opinion, the Shure is more full-bodied sounding (maybe because the bass seems a touch more prominent) and makes nuances stick out more than the AKG. That's not to say that the K550 isn't detailed; it is, but it's a little more subtle. At times the wide soundstage of the K550 sounds a little strange with music, but if you want it for gaming, it's a top choice in terms of soundstage width from a closed headphone.

There are issues with both headphones though. As mentioned before, the K550 can be a little fickle in terms of fit. If you have a smaller sized head, it may not seal properly. The SRH940, on the other hand, doesn't feel like it's constructed all that well and there have been reports of the headband cracking. However, I'm sure if you don't abuse the headphones then it shouldn't be a problem. Mine are still fine, but it's just something that's on my mind every time I put it on and take it off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back