Closed. Flat response. Soundstage. Does something like that exists?
Dec 16, 2013 at 10:14 AM Post #77 of 86
  Alpha dogs match your criteria completely , if you can spare 600$. Mad dogs might be a bit dark.

Yeah, but somehow they have lower ratings, and the soundstage seems subpar in comparison with the Mad dogs.

Final list of contenders:
German Maestro GMP 8.35 D
Mr Speakers Mad Dogs
FA-003Ti
Shure SRH 940

Dec 16, 2013 at 12:16 PM Post #78 of 86

Yeah, but somehow they have lower ratings, and the soundstage seems subpar in comparison with the Mad dogs.

Mr Speakers Mad Dogs
FA-003Ti
Shure SRH 940

They are fairly new, so there isn't as many impressions on them. I don't think anyone will tell you the Mad dog's soundstage is bigger.

Dec 17, 2013 at 2:37 AM Post #79 of 86

Stay away from the T50RP and any mods of it, they all have some treble hash due to the T50RP driver's poor modal behavior, and the headphone is damn awful sounding in stock form. Shure's headphones are all notoriously bad and harsh sounding up top as well.

You might want to try an AKG K/Q701 as your next upgrade though. Very neutral and transparent, extremely clean, ruthlessly revealing, excellent soundstage, though you need a pretty good amp to handle them. If you do in fact need a closed can, my earlier recommendation (the FA-003) remains a very good contender in the closed can scene.

I'm sensing a degree of fire-breathing exaggeration.

Even the two non-commercial T50RP mods I've heard are good, though I wouldn't call them neutral. It's chameleon-like in that it really depends on the modder. Maybe the reason is its mid-centricity, which a modder is working around. Stock is too loose, and worked for me with only the most aggressive music such as Norwegian black metal, but expert modding will improve it to being a very good closed option.

I don't recommend SRH940 because it's too bright, though you hear a lot of detail that way. SRH840 sounds perceptually more neutral. It's warm and inviting, and everything sounds good on it. I like it for piano music because of the way it accurately places the piano toward the front of the soundstage. It has a heavy headband, which can be completely modded.

If that's a dragon joke... *grumbles*

But I stand my ground: there are quite a few options that absolutely kill the best a T50RP can do for far under the cost of buying a good modded pair like the TP-1 and Mad Dog/Alpha Dog, and assuming he is not DIY oriented, he won't be able to nor want to futz around with a stock one until it's as good as the top mods. Not to mention that all T50RP mods share one thing, and that's hot, harsh treble that's caused by the modal behavior of the T50RP driver. Some mods can quell it to some degree but it's still there.

The 940 is very harsh and bright up top and they're extremely breakable. Shure's headphones all perform far below their price brackets, in more ways than one, which is why I don't recommend them. Plus the 840 lacks the frequency extremes and soundstage of the FA-003, so the latter is the better option so long as price isn't an issue because it'd be closer to the performance of the A900X.

Dec 17, 2013 at 2:41 AM Post #80 of 86

But I stand my ground: there are quite a few options that absolutely kill the best a T50RP can do for far under the cost of buying a good modded pair like the TP-1 and Mad Dog/Alpha Dog, and assuming he is not DIY oriented, he won't be able to nor want to futz around with a stock one until it's as good as the top mods. Not to mention that all T50RP mods share one thing, and that's hot, harsh treble that's caused by the modal behavior of the T50RP driver. Some mods can quell it to some degree but it's still there.

The 940 is very harsh and bright up top and they're extremely breakable. Shure's headphones all perform far below their price brackets, in more ways than one, which is why I don't recommend them. Plus the 840 lacks the frequency extremes and soundstage of the FA-003, so the latter is the better option so long as price isn't an issue because it'd be closer to the performance of the A900X.

Hmm, I thought the FA-003 were way cheaper than the ATH-A900X.

Dec 17, 2013 at 2:44 AM Post #81 of 86

Alpha dogs match your criteria completely , if you can spare 600$. Mad dogs might be a bit dark.

Mr Speakers Mad Dogs
FA-003Ti
Shure SRH 940

Regarding the FA-003Ti, it's a little bit brighter than the standard FA-003 but is generally more refined. It's considerably more expensive though.

Additionally, and I cannot stress this enough: do not give in to the hype of the Alpha Dogs; you're paying $600 for a $70 headphone with new cups slapped onto it. The T50RP can only be so good and $600 is where I draw the line. 

Dec 17, 2013 at 2:49 AM Post #83 of 86

Hmm, I thought the FA-003 were way cheaper than the ATH-A900X.

They're more expensive than the 840s is what I meant, but actually I was mixing up the price of the 003 with the 003Ti. The 840 is actually almost double the price of the 003, which changes it from a 'no' to a 'hell no'.

As for the sound of the 003s, the Ti is basically a slightly brighter version of the 003 with better detail retrieval and control; it's basically a straight up improvement because it's the same driver, with a more rigid diaphragm, which gives it better control. So perhaps that's an even better option.

Mar 18, 2014 at 12:48 AM Post #84 of 86
Hm, a Pioneer Monitor 10 actually might be more worth your time now that I think of it. It's got a very flat response, good bass, and an absolutely sublime soundstage for any headphone, closed or open. Additionally, there's this... sweetness to the sound. It's especially prominent in the treble. It's hard to describe; think liquidy smooth and soothing, yet engaging and detailed. I haven't really heard anything like it before. 

It's easy to drive so you won't need an amp, though they do scale well. It is however, very very heavy. It doesn't hurt my neck but the headband doesn't feel the best. I'd suggest putting foam cushions on the headband(s) if you decide to try it. Most go for ~$100-120 in good shape on eBay, which is more than a fair price for their sound. 

However, if you can find a Monitor 10-II or a Monitor 10R... jump on it like stink on ****. It's one of the best headphones I've ever heard and it's half the weight of the original. It's literally the original on steroids and it can compete with modern high-end gear. 

A note: None of these headphones are the best idea if you wear glasses, but if your frames are relatively low profile you should be fine. My old frames stuck out a lot, which not only nommed the bass but also caused them to be clamped into my skull by the headphone. My new frames are much flatter and don't cause any issues.

Mar 18, 2014 at 3:45 AM Post #85 of 86
I got my ATH-A900X when they were selling the refurbs at Buydig for $ 120.00 so you can get a deal on them at times. Great headphones with a great balance and soundstage and great separation of instruments.

Mar 22, 2014 at 4:34 AM Post #86 of 86
  Hm, a Pioneer Monitor 10 actually might be more worth your time now that I think of it. It's got a very flat response, good bass, and an absolutely sublime soundstage for any headphone, closed or open. Additionally, there's this... sweetness to the sound. It's especially prominent in the treble. It's hard to describe; think liquidy smooth and soothing, yet engaging and detailed. I haven't really heard anything like it before. 

It's easy to drive so you won't need an amp, though they do scale well. It is however, very very heavy. It doesn't hurt my neck but the headband doesn't feel the best. I'd suggest putting foam cushions on the headband(s) if you decide to try it. Most go for ~$100-120 in good shape on eBay, which is more than a fair price for their sound. 

However, if you can find a Monitor 10-II or a Monitor 10R... jump on it like stink on ****. It's one of the best headphones I've ever heard and it's half the weight of the original. It's literally the original on steroids and it can compete with modern high-end gear. 

A note: None of these headphones are the best idea if you wear glasses, but if your frames are relatively low profile you should be fine. My old frames stuck out a lot, which not only nommed the bass but also caused them to be clamped into my skull by the headphone. My new frames are much flatter and don't cause any issues.

Thanks, will consider for my second pair!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back