Closed Back Over Ear Headphones under 50 dollars.
Feb 6, 2023 at 7:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

krys42

New Head-Fier
Hi, I need help with Over Ear Closed Back Headphones under 50$, I'd use them for listening Metal and Rock music on computer. Which headphones should I buy under 50 bucks?
Thank you for any help.

Feb 6, 2023 at 8:34 AM Post #2 of 7
Not a lot comes to mind. There are some Sennheisers and Audio Technicas under $50 but I've not heard them.

Feb 7, 2023 at 1:57 AM Post #4 of 7
@pbui44 is probably right here. For $15 more you're likely to get double the quality from the Philips than something you get for $49 and really emotionally enjoy your music.

If it's $50 firm, I recommend going used. Because you're right at that point where you can score some seriously nice mid-fi quality in the used market.

You could get SHP9500 or 9600 for $50 or less this way. It will put to shame anything new for $49.

Lucky score would be Beyerdynamics DT700 or DT770. I got a lucky score on my DT770 Pro from craigslist, by the way. But to get a lucky score means watching every day.
If you do find Beyers, make sure it's the 80ohm or less version. 250ohm version not so good without external amp.

Feb 7, 2023 at 3:52 AM Post #5 of 7
@pbui44 is probably right here. For $15 more you're likely to get double the quality from the Philips than something you get for $49 and really emotionally enjoy your music.

If it's $50 firm, I recommend going used. Because you're right at that point where you can score some seriously nice mid-fi quality in the used market.

You could get SHP9500 or 9600 for $50 or less this way. It will put to shame anything new for $49.

Lucky score would be Beyerdynamics DT700 or DT770. I got a lucky score on my DT770 Pro from craigslist, by the way. But to get a lucky score means watching every day.
If you do find Beyers, make sure it's the 80ohm or less version. 250ohm version not so good without external amp.
Found DT770 Pro but they are 250ohm. How much would I pay for amp?

Feb 7, 2023 at 5:44 AM Post #6 of 7
There are so many possibilities for how to amp it, at different price ranges. We'll get to that later ...

If you find the 250ohm DT770 near this price range, you are definitely getting something way better than $50 new headphones. By a lot, several leaps higher!

WARNING: if you choose 250ohm on a low budget, you are risking to get lost in a maze of complexity and costs beyond your original $50.
ADVANTAGE: Room to upgrade quality later if you are enthusiast seeking higher ceiling to sound quality, you will be able to scale much higher.
BUT because you are starting from a low place not getting near its potential of what it can do when amped properly.

Without amp (I am testing it now on my laptop), DT770 Pro 250Ω at 100% volume sounds like 55%. Quality also seems flat and washed and "clock radio" compared to amp, even though it still can show its personality of impressive bass, and noticeable detail in treble, the actual quality of those representations is worse and soundstage suffers.
Doing A/B and switching it to amp, it's a big jump of quality when adjusted to be at same perceived loudness, (but can confidently go much higher, much smoother, with stable quality and richer sound.)

I don't have SHP9600 to simultaneously A/B test against. But if you have no amp, I feel sure SHP9600 would do better than 250ohm version of DT 770 Pro.

So, back to the amp question. It's not worth getting this headphone if you won't get the amp.

You could wait and save for it, or you could find something cheap. You could even do headphone out into almost any used amp or receiver you find. Often AVR are super cheap because as home theatre standards keep upgrading, models from a few years ago people are dumping for almost nothing. Or you could get any little AC-to-DC power amp such as the Fiio, used. This is where it gets more complicated to tell you how much it is because for each $15 more you spend you keep getting something better, and better, and better, and better.... so I don't know what to tell here. If you're still interested in going this way, you could patiently wait for "lucky find" and start a new thread on "cheapest way to amp a high impedance headphone with good quality result." I bet there is lots of good advice out there.

Cheers

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2023 at 10:45 AM Post #7 of 7
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back