Classical musician about to take the headphone plunge, need advice!
Dec 29, 2011 at 10:51 PM Post #16 of 76
sennheiser hd 555 don't need an amp either and are fairly cheap and would be good for classical, and even a very very basic amp could power it well.

same for the 598.

600s will sound beetter but need a better amp thats at least 150-200 dollars.

Dec 29, 2011 at 11:37 PM Post #17 of 76
For under $300 you could get HD598 once they drop back to  ~$173   +   a FiiO E10 (~$80)   =   ~$255 (+ shipping).  I didn't catch if you need a portable amp, but if you can listen from your computer you should have a DAC in there somewhere - so either E10, or an E17 if you need it portable as well.

I've heard the Shures are good for classical, but they're soundstage should be less then the Sennheisers.  Those Denons will have small soundstage and be bassy heavy.

Q701 + E10 from amazon would be $320 shipped (free super saver shipping)....It has a different sound then the HD598s and would scale up better in the future

Dec 30, 2011 at 1:37 AM Post #18 of 76
Thanks everyone.  I'm seriously considering ordering the 598 from Target, but may wait until Amazon has it a bit cheaper with free shipping.  In the meantime I'll see if I can find anyone in the area with a Shure or Sennheiser to compare.

Thanks again,

- John

Dec 30, 2011 at 1:46 AM Post #19 of 76
I'll third (or fourth or whatever) the HD 598.  Exceedingly competent across all genres.  I had the HD 600s, and it was a while ago, but I think the 598s are more versatile.

Dec 30, 2011 at 2:07 AM Post #20 of 76
EDIT:  I just saw amazon has it for $173 as well.  $173 is as low as it ever goes, no point in waiting. I would do amazon, they ship faster then electronic expo and have a good return policy.

Electronic expo has on sale HD598 every other week it seems.  And what do you know, its on sale right now!
They are an authorized Senn dealer.  I got my PC360s from them.

http://www.electronics-expo.com/sennheiser-hd-598-open-circumaural-headphones-beige
http://bensbargains.net/deal/sennheiser-hd-598-audiophile-headphones-169-at-electronics-expo-233453/?referrer=rss

Coupon code is BensBargains

Dec 30, 2011 at 2:20 AM Post #21 of 76
Another vote for the HD598s. Exceptional detail in the mids and trebles,  They really grabbed my attention on vocals and percussion.  Mind you I auditioned the 598s with a serious front end DAC/amp, so I can't speak to how they would perform driven off a PC sound card.

Dec 30, 2011 at 10:41 AM Post #22 of 76
Thanks everyone, I'm probably going to order the 598s from Amazon, and am wondering if I should grab the E11 Amp now or wait a bit and see what they're like without one.  Basically, without the amp, are they less clear, or just less loud, or is the issue something else entirely?

Thanks again,

- John

P.S. -> Are these amps a bad idea and, if so, why?  They're damn cheap.

http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-Pro-PHA40-4-Channel-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B003M8NVFS/ref=zg_bs_13880161_14

P.P.S. -> I'm pretty clueless about audio equipment, sorry!  I've tried to read about it online in various places, including here, but I just don't quite "get" it unless able to use the stuff in a more hands-on (ears-on?) way.

Dec 30, 2011 at 11:14 AM Post #23 of 76
I am sorry to disturb, but I am a classical pianist (to pro but I play for many years), and I would want also to get advice on headphone purchase up to 800$ . I currently have hd598 and they are fine but I am looking for more detailed sound, a bit more bass especially detialed one (to me it has a bloated bass, without enough details ), clarity and more treble sparkle.

Dec 30, 2011 at 11:35 AM Post #25 of 76

Quote:
Then you would like the shure 940 they have a lot of detail great mids and tight bass.caveat: they are a little short on the mid bass but to my ears they sound perfect!

I have the fear that they would not have the same soundstage as the hd598 which is one of their biggest pros. How is their high end? sometimes the hd598 can be too sharp for me in that regard- trumpets and violins when they play in high octaves sound harsh. I want detailed treble, a little bit sparkly and smooth at the same time and never harsh.
By the way I think that the hd598 presents voices amazingly well, a bit upfront but it make voices sound special and warm.

Dec 30, 2011 at 11:43 AM Post #26 of 76
The sound stage is very good for a closed can!Some people claim they are a little treble emphasized I found them to be very well balanced and even better after some burn in time.Do yourself a favor and audtition these at least at you local music store you will not be dissapointed!

Dec 30, 2011 at 11:49 AM Post #27 of 76
Btw, I was wondering earlier about the Fostex T50RP, on sale for $75 at Amazon.  Is that a reasonable choice for classical (unmodded, that is)?  Of course, classical now covers roughly 500 years of widely differing music styles, so I suppose I should emphasize orchestral music of the last, oh, say 200 years, string quartets, and piano.

Dec 30, 2011 at 11:50 AM Post #28 of 76
To the OP - First things first!  Has no one yet said "Welcome the head-fi; sorry about your wallet?"  (Apologies if I missed it earlier.)

On to headphones - I use primarily closed headphones, strictly for isolation purposes.  If I were getting headphones for classical music, I would NOT get closed phones unless I needed them for isolation.

One of my first pairs of headphones was a pair of Sennheiser HD580's with what at the time were the mods many did - HD600 grills, HD650 cable.  I doubt either really changed the sound any, but they looked better.  If I were buying on a budget for classical music, I would buy another pair of the HD580's used, or I would try the Sennheisr 598's based on many comments such as those noted in this post.

There are a lot of other great headphones for classical, as noted in this thread.  I just happen to like the Sennheiser house sound, and I really don't think closed headphones do classical justice.  That said, I listen to and enjoy classical on closed phones, because for now, that is all I use.

Dec 30, 2011 at 12:02 PM Post #29 of 76

Quote:
Btw, I was wondering earlier about the Fostex T50RP, on sale for $75 at Amazon.  Is that a reasonable choice for classical (unmodded, that is)?  Of course, classical now covers roughly 500 years of widely differing music styles, so I suppose I should emphasize orchestral music of the last, oh, say 200 years, string quartets, and piano.

While I love my T50RP, I do not think it meets your needs, especially unmodded. For one, the sound stage is pretty small, and that gives me issues with classical imaging. There are also a few peaks I've found in the high mids - which can sound pretty honky with anything string heavy (violins). 

Ballcall2 - not sure what to suggest really... you might look for a used Senn HD800. 

Dec 30, 2011 at 12:21 PM Post #30 of 76
Thanks very much for the greeting and future condolences. 

To be honest, I get the sense that no matter what I buy there will be something, somewhere, that makes me immediately regret my purchase, or at least make me want to buy that other thing to compare, and then that another other thing, and so forth, until I have a freaking fleet, nay, an armada, of headphones bedecking my apartment, no money for food, and after attempting to live off ramen for two months I will succumb to MSG poisoning, and upon my emaciated frame being dragged off, some paramedic will notice my collection, whistle appreciatively, shake their head, and say, "Hey, Fred, lookie here - another classic case of audiodementia. The heavily modded Fostex TR50 in that corner was probably the last straw.  Poor devil didn't stand a chance."

In retrospect, I probably should have just gotten a Bose, or perhaps just kept that thing they gave me on my last JetBlue flight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back