Classical musician about to take the headphone plunge, need advice!
Jan 3, 2012 at 3:28 PM Post #46 of 76

Quote:
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Beyerdynamic yet

In the OP's preferred price point, and stated needs, Beyer doesn't make much that lines up very well IMO. 

Jan 3, 2012 at 5:34 PM Post #47 of 76

Quote:
I record classical and I think the Grado line does string instruments the best.  In your price range, look closely at the Grado 225i.

It should perhaps be noted that this is not a typical view of Grado headphones. Most people would suggest that classical and Grado do not make ideal bedfellows.

Jan 3, 2012 at 6:38 PM Post #48 of 76

Quote:
It should perhaps be noted that this is not a typical view of Grado headphones. Most people would suggest that classical and Grado do not make ideal bedfellows.

Count me as one of the people who do listen to classical music on Grados.  It's just fine.

Jan 3, 2012 at 8:12 PM Post #49 of 76

Quote:
Thanks everyone, I'm probably going to order the 598s from Amazon, and am wondering if I should grab the E11 Amp now or wait a bit and see what they're like without one.  Basically, without the amp, are they less clear, or just less loud, or is the issue something else entirely?

Thanks again,

- John

P.S. -> Are these amps a bad idea and, if so, why?  They're damn cheap.

http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-Pro-PHA40-4-Channel-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B003M8NVFS/ref=zg_bs_13880161_14

P.P.S. -> I'm pretty clueless about audio equipment, sorry!  I've tried to read about it online in various places, including here, but I just don't quite "get" it unless able to use the stuff in a more hands-on (ears-on?) way.

The Fiio E11 has one very annoying charachteristic. It can't be used while it is being charged. I hope Fiio comes out with a new version of this that allows charging while it is in use.

Jan 3, 2012 at 8:58 PM Post #50 of 76

Quote:
K701 or HD600 for classical.  The 600's periodically go on sale on Amazon, some say they are phasing them out.  You can get the 600 for $260 if you wait for deals, the K/Q701 can be had for $200-250-ish.

I found the HD600 more balanced and versatile than the K701, and I ultimately supplanted my K701 with the K501, which I still enjoy after several years.  The K501 are tougher to drive, though, and on top of that can be finicky with amping. 

Jan 3, 2012 at 9:17 PM Post #51 of 76
This is an amazing amount of information, thanks.  In the meantime I've this Stageworks HM4 thing, and am wondering if anyone knows anything about it.  It's clearly obscure, but not at all bad - quite comfortable and the sound is, while not spectacular, surprisingly decent for a ten dollar pawn shop pickup.  Still looking for a better cord, though.

Jan 3, 2012 at 9:58 PM Post #52 of 76

Quote:
Thanks very much for the greeting and future condolences. 

To be honest, I get the sense that no matter what I buy there will be something, somewhere, that makes me immediately regret my purchase, or at least make me want to buy that other thing to compare, and then that another other thing, and so forth, until I have a freaking fleet, nay, an armada, of headphones bedecking my apartment, no money for food, and after attempting to live off ramen for two months I will succumb to MSG poisoning, and upon my emaciated frame being dragged off, some paramedic will notice my collection, whistle appreciatively, shake their head, and say, "Hey, Fred, lookie here - another classic case of audiodementia. The heavily modded Fostex TR50 in that corner was probably the last straw.  Poor devil didn't stand a chance."

In retrospect, I probably should have just gotten a Bose, or perhaps just kept that thing they gave me on my last JetBlue flight.

Just wanted to say ....

This is funny and TOTALLY on the mark. Now you know what the Head-Fi community is all about. 

Enjoy!

Jan 3, 2012 at 10:20 PM Post #53 of 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scherzo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Still looking for a better cord, though.

Repost from earlier...

Check out monoprice. 6 foot and 12 foot 3.5mm to 3.5mm interconnects - $1
http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10218#1021802

$2.50 if you want premium. 

Jan 3, 2012 at 10:47 PM Post #55 of 76

Quote:
To the OP - First things first!  Has no one yet said "Welcome the head-fi; sorry about your wallet?"  (Apologies if I missed it earlier.)

On to headphones - I use primarily closed headphones, strictly for isolation purposes.  If I were getting headphones for classical music, I would NOT get closed phones unless I needed them for isolation.

One of my first pairs of headphones was a pair of Sennheiser HD580's with what at the time were the mods many did - HD600 grills, HD650 cable.  I doubt either really changed the sound any, but they looked better.  If I were buying on a budget for classical music, I would buy another pair of the HD580's used, or I would try the Sennheisr 598's based on many comments such as those noted in this post.

There are a lot of other great headphones for classical, as noted in this thread.  I just happen to like the Sennheiser house sound, and I really don't think closed headphones do classical justice.  That said, I listen to and enjoy classical on closed phones, because for now, that is all I use.

I'm always pleased to see mention of the venerable HD580, the poor man's HD600 back in the day (as it shared the same basic design and comfort but had plastic rather than metal mesh grills). 

The HD580 coupled with the HeadRoom Little amp literally made me relisten to all of my best classical recordings. It was this rig through which i first heard fingers touching frets, wind instrumentalists gulping air after a challenging passage, and the conductor's baton inadvertantly tapping a music stand. This was a financial stretch for me when i first bought it as an "entry level audiophile" rig and I've continued to enjoy it for years on end. 

My point?  Pay more now or you'll just find yourself coming back to the well for an upgrade. I haven't listened to the HD598 and it may suit your needs perfectly, but the HD600 cans are "classics" that you'll never have to apologize for (or upgrade from). Yes, you'll want an amp but you can afford that (if not now then soon) and if you shop right there too you'll be set for the foreseeable future with a rig you can enjoy--and even brag about on Head-Fi.com!

I'd recommend the HD580 and Little amp but alas neither are available anymore ...

good luck!

Jan 3, 2012 at 11:42 PM Post #56 of 76
Quote:

Check out monoprice. 6 foot and 12 foot 3.5mm to 3.5mm interconnects - $1
http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10218#1021802

$2.50 if you want premium. 

Thanks, though shipping pretty much kills that deal unless I get something else there as well.  Looking to see what else they have now. :)

Jan 4, 2012 at 4:05 AM Post #57 of 76

Quote:

Two professionals have already weighed in that Grados are excellent for classical music. To be honest, I often doubt reviewers of classical works by armchair audiophiles. Seeing as how most orchestral/vocal works are recorded, I find it hard that it would ever recreate a live performance no matter how good your gear is. All the headphones recommended here are good. Maybe investing in a DAC or amp would be better money spent when realizing detailed classical reproduction.

Jan 4, 2012 at 6:08 AM Post #58 of 76

Quote:

My point?  Pay more now or you'll just find yourself coming back to the well for an upgrade.

i second that , all the time you can save on upgrades and research is worth the n. of upgrades many go through to finally land on those pairs ... ( me included )

and suggest again the hd580/600 + a later cable upgrade as your end-of-game cans . i finally kept the hd580 , modded ( open drivers + cable upgrade ) , over the 600 and the 650 ( which i didn't like and i do not advice  ...

if i remember well .. i was able to snatch the 580 off ebay for 150 if not less ...... that was some time ( years ) ago though ..

Jan 4, 2012 at 9:40 AM Post #59 of 76
While it is of course in the long run cheaper to just buy the "really good pair you'll keep", the problem in practice for I think not just myself but most neophytes is not only finding that pair in the first place but appreciating it, as I suspect it's only by going through the process of trying out various other headphones that one begins to clearly understand what one likes, dislikes, and is missing.

Also, the logic of saving money by buying the good-but-more expensive pair raises the obvious question: why stop at $300?  Why not $3000?  I'd guess that for many the $3000 pairs aren't THAT much better as to justify the expense, but does the difference between $100 and $300 pairs justify the expense for me?  Hard to say unless I try both, even if just at a store.

On the other hand, screw it, I think I'm probably just going to get the 598s when they next go on sale.

Jan 4, 2012 at 9:51 AM Post #60 of 76
Er, or the 580's.  Hmm.  What are the differences again?  Ergh.

Oh, and I should also check out the K702 or the K701 with or without a 'Q'.  I mean the K501.  Wait, I'm not sure that one exists any more - when I type it into a search engine I wind up with someone offering me a "Dunlop 5010 Mic Stand Pickholder" instead.  Or was that the ATH-700?  Also I could be one of the happy people and get a Grado, or wait until the next time Neptune aligns with Vega and grab a K340.

Fark...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back