Clas or fostex ?
Aug 20, 2012 at 10:30 PM Post #34 of 61
I have the CLAS and an ALO RX Mk3 as well as a Portaphile 627 amps. Don't ask. :)

I work in NYC and B&H Photo is near where I work. They give you 30 days full return policy. I was curious about the Fostex HP-P1 and if it was better than using any of the combinations that I mentioned above. It is not even close. The The CLAS combo has so much more depth, detail, soundstage, dimension than the Fostex.

I will say that I did not pair up the Fostex with an external amp, but I don't think people are buying the Fostex to be used as a separate DAC to be used with an external amp.
Ken

Hi,
I am very impressed with your setup, the combo CLAS + RxMK3.
Don't mind if you can share your real experience what are the significant improvement in sound quality "with" and "without" the CLAS DAC?

Aug 21, 2012 at 9:10 AM Post #35 of 61
I would also be interested to hear your thoughts on the Portaphile.
Best
James

Sep 5, 2012 at 10:26 AM Post #36 of 61
Quote:
Ken, you seem to say, and also I gathered from others, that the fostex is leaner and colder than the clas+ amp.
With my miracles, I think I'm gonna end up with a shrilling sound with not enough bass to my taste if paired with fostex. You convinced me. I'll keep my pico slim, buy the clas, and later sell the pico to get the sr71b. That's the plan. Thx
rolleyes.gif

Sometimes THIS can mean that the amp isn't colouring the music, that the amp is letting you hear the source more accurately.
I rather prefer an amp that isn't "opinionated" about how I hear the music, I am considering this Fostex myself for that reason.
I was pleased to see someone remark to it's transparency!

gotta love HeadFi. you can find an answer to EVERYTHING.
biggrin.gif

Sep 6, 2012 at 11:37 AM Post #39 of 61
Ken, you seem to say, and also I gathered from others, that the fostex is leaner and colder than the clas+ amp.
With my miracles, I think I'm gonna end up with a shrilling sound with not enough bass to my taste if paired with fostex. You convinced me. I'll keep my pico slim, buy the clas, and later sell the pico to get the sr71b. That's the plan. 

Interesting thread. I am currently using the Clas with the Pico Slim and UM Miracles and Ipod Classic and very pleased but if I was to change the amp I would also consider the SR71B - I have not been able to determine from these forums whether this would represent much of an improvement as the Pico Slim is such a good amp and I have not seen any comments from users who have moved from a slim to a sr71b with this combo.

Sep 6, 2012 at 11:41 AM Post #40 of 61
I'd also be very interested in such a comparison. Having the fostex paired with miracles, this would be more than interesting to me. I also find the Amp section of the fostex lacks somehow in punch — in mids and bass...

Sep 6, 2012 at 12:38 PM Post #41 of 61
And I think I'll buy the sr71b first... If anyone is interested in selling, please let me know.

I have miracle too and drive with RS 71 B and as source i use Iphone 4 S , this set up is very good synergie .
For more detail I use my Fostex Hp 1 as DAC and connect with mini to mini to my RS 71 B , you become more detail and wider soundstage and better bass impact .

Sep 8, 2012 at 1:59 PM Post #42 of 61
I have my CLAS paired with my L3! liking it alot, haven't heard the HP-P1?and not even considering one, as I am ssooo happy with the CLAS at this point, no upgradeitis bug biting yet? and I am very suseptible to their bitings! 

but am cosidering the Merlin hybrids? I have a set of the W4s, and ASG-1.2s, and love going back and forth with them, one week on one week off! oh and I still adore having the ZOv1 added into the mix aswell, huge soundstages with either IEM! deluxe detail, and excellent instrumnet seperation!

have to get some customs soon? that way I can justify the small fortune that I have invested into my audio since lurking here on Head-Fi, buwa ha ha ha ha! lol, 
very_evil_smiley.gif
 simply deliciosly evil! 

Sep 10, 2012 at 5:59 PM Post #44 of 61
I am on a business trip at moment and over the weekend tested my rig with and without the CLAS. Rig is unique melody miracles, iPod classic, Pico slim and Clas solo. All music is ripped lossless.

For me, it is a significant difference when the Clas is removed and I am surprised to read comments of some on this forum that argue there is not a significant difference. To me at least it is close to a night and day difference with the Clas in the chain. Overall far better sound quality, soundstage, transparency, tone, detail.

Sep 10, 2012 at 7:24 PM Post #45 of 61
Quote:
For me, it is a significant difference when the Clas is removed and I am surprised to read comments of some on this forum that argue there is not a significant difference. To me at least it is close to a night and day difference with the Clas in the chain. Overall far better sound quality, soundstage, transparency, tone, detail.

I have the same "night and day" experiences with the CLAS adding significant improvement in sound quality.  I no longer omit the CLAS from any rig save for when I'm at the gym with my Nano 6 + RSA Shadow + Klipsch X10.......adding the CLAS would just look silly.....but I have tried it with this very small rig and the differences in sound quality are still amazing.  This is a true class product.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back