Chord Mojo issue solutions thread.
Sep 10, 2019 at 4:07 AM Post #992 of 1,068
Also experiencing this issue. Is there a way how to fix this. Thank you

Umm, okay, so this is a little embarrassing, but I’m going to come clean. As I mentioned before, for as long as I’ve owned the Mojo (~ 2 years), my volume level was always within a few clicks up or down of the double red ball setting.

The key to this story is that for reasons that still aren’t clear to me, in between normal listening sessions, something caused my Mojo to reset itself to very near the lowest volume setting. So the next time I went to listen, thinking I was still in my regular volume zone, but barely able to hear anything, I clicked up the volume button and was almost immediately presented with one red ball (and the other volume ball sharing some of this color presumably through internal reflections). But the sound through my IEMs remained barely audible.

So I kept clicking up and up on the volume past this red zone until the balls were bright blue - a level I couldn’t ever remember having seen before. But still the sound level was very low. It was my belief at this point that the volume was set to what should be a very high level, but that a short or some other defect was interrupting the amp’s power delivery. My fear was that if I went any higher outside my normal volume range and a bump or jostle caused the short to momentarily resolve itself, my IEMs, my ears or both might get blown out. It was at this point that I posted seeking assistance.

Fortunately, with the guidance of my supremely patient and helpful friends at The Source A/V, I learned that the Mojo’s volume scale actually has two reddish zones and that I was operating on the lower one. The bright blue balls didn’t look familiar because they were actually well below my normal volume level. Doh.

Yeah, I felt like a pretty big dummy. I hope your resolution is as simple as mine ended up being.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2019 at 7:16 AM Post #993 of 1,068
Umm, okay, so this is a little embarrassing, but I’m going to come clean. As I mentioned before, for as long as I’ve owned the Mojo (~ 2 years), my volume level was always within a few clicks up or down of the double red ball setting.

The key to this story is that for reasons that still aren’t clear to me, in between normal listening sessions, something caused my Mojo to reset itself to very near the lowest volume setting. So the next time I went to listen, thinking I was still in my regular volume zone, but barely able to hear anything, I clicked up the volume button and was almost immediately presented with one red ball (and the other volume ball sharing some of this color presumably through internal reflections). But the sound through my IEMs remained barely audible.

So I kept clicking up and up on the volume past this red zone until the balls were bright blue - a level I couldn’t ever remember having seen before. But still the sound level was very low. It was my belief at this point that the volume was set to what should be a very high level, but that a short or some other defect was interrupting the amp’s power delivery. My fear was that if I went any higher outside my normal volume range and a bump or jostle caused the short to momentarily resolve itself, my IEMs, my ears or both might get blown out. It was at this point that I posted seeking assistance.

Fortunately, with the guidance of my supremely patient and helpful friends at The Source A/V, I learned that the Mojo’s volume scale actually has two reddish zones and that I was operating on the lower one. The bright blue balls didn’t look familiar because they were actually well below my normal volume level. Doh.

Yeah, I felt like a pretty big dummy. I hope your resolution is as simple as mine ended up being.

Mojo should not reset its volume to a lower level. The unit is faulty.

Both volume balls at blue mean you are running at about 2v to 3v. When I use my Mojo with 20ohm IEMs I use very low power. It shows as left ball blue and right ball red. There is only one range in the volume controls that show both balls blue and that is in the 2-3v range.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2019 at 9:25 PM Post #994 of 1,068
Mojo should not reset its volume to a lower level. The unit is faulty.

Both volume balls at blue mean you are running at about 2v to 3v. When I use my Mojo with 20ohm IEMs I use very low power. It shows as left ball blue and right ball red. There is only range in the volume controls that show both balls blue and that is in the 2-3v range.

LOL, because here too we have the possibility for confusion, I should have probably specified the lighter ice blue as opposed to the deep cobalt blue that you see higher on the volume scale.

Sep 11, 2019 at 5:08 AM Post #995 of 1,068
Another strange thing I’m just now noticing is that, once you get beyond the violet color, the center ball doesn’t really seem to be changing color at all itself, as much as just reflecting some of the color of the ball right next to it. :triportsad:

Also experiencing this issue. Is there a way how to fix this. Thank you

I found out that it is not an issue on my Mojo. I have read the manual and found below notes regarding Volume Indication.

Volume Indication
The + and – volume balls are illuminated to indicate the volume setting. The standard range is from
brown to white for maximum volume.
At both minimum volume and maximum volume the range has been extended and the balls illuminate
specially to indicate this.
At minimum volume the + ball will remain brown whilst the – ball will continue to change colour
through the range from white back down to brown again. This allows for finer volume adjustment
when using in ear monitors.
At maximum volume the – ball will remain on white whilst the + ball will change through the colours
from red to white at maximum volume. This gives a finer adjustment at very high volume.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2019 at 12:34 AM Post #998 of 1,068

What source or sources do you use?
Have you tried turning up your source volume to max before connecting?
I need to have the Hiby R3 player at MAX volume to get 100% output into the Mojo.

Feb 28, 2020 at 2:52 AM Post #999 of 1,068
When I try to use my Mojo with my Samsung S10+, I hear all these static noises, regardless of whether or not I'm playing music. I am also not charging. Using it with my iPad Pro, however, there are no problems. I have tried different cables. Anyone know of a fix?

Feb 28, 2020 at 3:14 PM Post #1,001 of 1,068
When I try to use my Mojo with my Samsung S10+, I hear all these static noises, regardless of whether or not I'm playing music. I am also not charging. Using it with my iPad Pro, however, there are no problems. I have tried different cables. Anyone know of a fix?
Really need more contextual information (such as iphone or android, music player app, is the static continuous or only occasional, etc) before anyone can provide a focussed answer.
If you are using usb, then the two main sources of static are usually:
  • noise coming through the usb cable (either electrical noise from the phone, or short pauses in the usb data signal, sometimes caused by the phone settings prioritising screen updates above a continuous usb data stream)
  • RFI noise generated by the phone, which is then picked up by the cable itself acting as an antenna for the radio waves. @Rob Watts attributes this to 2g phone transmissions. Many cell networks now use 4g, but can resort to using 2g if the signal strength is too low for 4g - so it could be worth investigating if your phone or cell network is using 2g

Mar 4, 2020 at 9:33 AM Post #1,002 of 1,068
Just a quick question, do you guys find that the volume buttons on the Chord Mojo require an unusual amount of pressure to change? If it is in my hand, it isn't too bad, but it is significantly more than the power button and it's significantly harder to change if it is flat on a desk.
For context, both buttons require the same pressure, and I am not having to white knuckle it for the volume to change, it just requires more than what I expect.

Mar 4, 2020 at 3:12 PM Post #1,003 of 1,068
Just a quick question, do you guys find that the volume buttons on the Chord Mojo require an unusual amount of pressure to change? If it is in my hand, it isn't too bad, but it is significantly more than the power button and it's significantly harder to change if it is flat on a desk.
For context, both buttons require the same pressure, and I am not having to white knuckle it for the volume to change, it just requires more than what I expect.
Is this a new Mojo? All 3 buttons should feel the same.
If it is an old Mojo, then maybe the buttons are a bit worn and sticking in position - the buttons are spherical, so you could try gently rotating them to see if that frees them up a bit.
I think the balls rest on a spring or plate, and there were a handful of reports of this becoming displaced/deformed. Can you hear anything loose when you shake your Mojo?
If still no luck, then you can unscrew the base of the Mojo, and try and loosen the balls a bit. If you are not confident to do that, then email support@chordelectronics.co.uk

Mar 6, 2020 at 11:27 PM Post #1,004 of 1,068
Is this a new Mojo? All 3 buttons should feel the same.
If it is an old Mojo, then maybe the buttons are a bit worn and sticking in position - the buttons are spherical, so you could try gently rotating them to see if that frees them up a bit.
I think the balls rest on a spring or plate, and there were a handful of reports of this becoming displaced/deformed. Can you hear anything loose when you shake your Mojo?
If still no luck, then you can unscrew the base of the Mojo, and try and loosen the balls a bit. If you are not confident to do that, then email support@chordelectronics.co.uk

I just bought it a couple weeks ago and it was the floor unit from the shop but they assured me it had barely been touched. The power button is really easy to push and it actually has a small depression when you put it in. The volume knobs on the other hand don't have a depress feel to them and do take more effort. That being said, when I push them, they do work every time, I just have to push twice as hard.

Ill wait till my dealer gets some new stock in and ask to compare them.

Mar 7, 2020 at 4:38 AM Post #1,005 of 1,068
I just bought it a couple weeks ago and it was the floor unit from the shop but they assured me it had barely been touched. The power button is really easy to push and it actually has a small depression when you put it in. The volume knobs on the other hand don't have a depress feel to them and do take more effort. That being said, when I push them, they do work every time, I just have to push twice as hard.

Ill wait till my dealer gets some new stock in and ask to compare them.
Problems with sticking balls do occasionally get flagged up on head-fi.
Here are some posts from 4 years ago.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chord-mojo-dac-amp-☆★►faq-in-3rd-post-◄★☆.784602/post-12279566
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chord-mojo-dac-amp-☆★►faq-in-3rd-post-◄★☆.784602/post-12280406
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chord-mojo-dac-amp-☆★►faq-in-3rd-post-◄★☆.784602/post-12280505
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chord-mojo-dac-amp-☆★►faq-in-3rd-post-◄★☆.784602/post-12280580

So you could try carefully rotating and cleaning the balls, to see if that cures the problem.
If that fails, then do ask your dealer for the chance to compare Mojos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back