1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Chord Mojo issue solutions thread.

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by greenbow, Nov 25, 2015.
Tags:
First

Back
56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65
Next

Last
  1. miketlse
    Sounds unusual so best to email support@chordelectronics.co.uk

2. ok3wire
    Thanks for the response. I’ve never known the Mojo to be sensitive to the volume level on the iPhone - which would seem to make sense given my understanding that the phone is only delivering the digital coding to the Mojo. But that being said, out of pure desperation, I did vary the volume level on the phone and it made no difference.

3. ok3wire
    Thanks, Mike. I’ll give it a shot and see what they have to say.

4. ok3wire
    Another strange thing I’m just now noticing is that, once you get beyond the violet color, the center ball doesn’t really seem to be changing color at all itself, as much as just reflecting some of the color of the ball right next to it. :triportsad:

5. ok3wire
    One more data point - I was able to substitute another family member’s iPhone for my own and the results were the same. That would seem to rule out both the iPhone and the Apple camera connector kit as the culprit.

6. chimney189
    So I connected my Mojo to my laptop through usb input with it's stock cable that's provide... I'm only hearing noise from my right driver and it's barely audible.

Any solutions?

7. Fishdo
    I’ve been hanging around here for a while now and I just registered on the forum. Firstly and most importantly thank you all for the information you’re willing to share and advice your all willing to give. Thank you.

I have just purchased a Mojo and I should have it shortly...

But reading through this thread and some of the issues guys have had especially with the USB connection I wanted to ask how easy or not it might be to accidentally select the ‘in-line’ operation of the Mojo and if that could cause damage to either the DAC itself or the earphones?

Also I have a couple of Meenova cables I have used on other DACs of mine (Topping NX4 DSD and Onkyo HA200) as I have an iPhone XS Max and they work perfectly with my earphones (RHA T20 wireless, RHA T10i and Audeze iSine 10’s) but a previous poster here suggested that some of those reported (here) issues maybe because of using non Apple certified cables like the Meenova so my question is please... should I avoid using that particular cable or indeed any non Apple certified cables with my Mojo am I likely to damage the Mojo doing so..?

I do use a HIFi IEmatch cable on my output with the Onkyo as I want to be safe using my more Sensitive earphones which have a Linum G2 Bax cable but I’m assuming I won’t need to with the Mojo?

I wanted to check here because I saved for a good while to buy the Mojo and I don’t want to risk causing any damage.

Just to confirm I prefer to use the Meenova cable due to its length and size as I spend more time using it in a portable setup and the Chord and Apple CCK tend to be rather cumbersome on the move...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated... thanks again for all your advice here and on other threads so far... it’s really been a great help

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  8. Fishdo
    Would anyone know if using the Mojo usb charging cable (supplied) is also the best option for transferring the audio signal from an iPhone and CCK? Or would a ‘better ‘ quality cable provide a noticeable difference say something like the Silver Dragon?

One thing I did learn is that a few noise issues do arise if you charge the Mojo with a 1 Amp plug like the one you get with an iPhone for charging is used as generally these plugs perform with less than 1 Amp and Chord says the plug must be a minimum of 1 Amp so you’re better off getting a plug you know will provide that minimum like the bigger iPad plugs you get now which are over 2 amps... by doing so apparently you avoid noises like hissing etc coming through the Mojo..

9. miketlse
    The answers to most of your questions, are in the faq in post #3 of the main mojo thread. It is a good start point for newbies.

10. Olafcx
    You could use a coat hanger to get the signal to the mojo and it wouldn’t make a difference. It’s digital. Hissing issues have nothing to do with the power you charge them at, which I know from experience. Best to use a 12W charger or so because it’s a pretty big battery. New batch mojo’s don’t have the hissing issue. It’s also really not a big deal.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
  11. miketlse
    The hissing is often caused by using chargers which produce too much ripple current. This is well documented in the FAQ in post #3 of the main mojo thread.
    Samsung, Apple and Anker were the most popular brands of reliable chargers.

12. Fishdo
    Thanks for your reply mate.,.

The reason I mentioned that is because Chord says that is the case and likely cause of any hissing noise... Chord uses the word hissing in their trouble shooting FAQs.... so I was going from that.., they also explained why but I cannot remember right now...

Thanks again for all your replies guys

13. Olafcx
    Strange, I get this hissing with all chargers, even when charging from batteries, so as clean as DC gets. 5W apple, 10W apple, 12W belkin, 5W samsung, all the same.

14. Earbones
    Assuming you normally use your iPad Pro in the landscape format with the Smart Keyboard, the Shanling L2 will be too short. Any USB-C to Micro USB cable that supports data will do.

I prefer cables with an angled USB-C, around 10 inches long. Amazon sells a couple of options for like $8.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
  15. miketlse
    From the FAQ in post #3 of the main mojo thread:

is it normal to have the mojo make a hissing sound (ie the unit itself, audio output is fine) when plugged in to power? brand new unit but it makes this weird noise when its plugged in (both when off and on). the hissing dies down when i plug in the signal cable (unit still off), not sure if i should send my unit back.
    It's normal - it is the charging regulator going into low power mode. Don't worry, there is nothing wrong.

Rob

Further testing on the charger and cable compatibility. Chosen Anker PowerPort 5 for good measured performance and multi-port charging with Anker PowerLine due to good construction with braid + foil shielding. All are available at a reasonable price.

Case 1: Virtually silent, only heard very minor hiss when ear is pretty much on the unit
    Case 2: Only noticeable hiss when you put your ears near the unit
    Case 3: Loud whine lasting the only the first few seconds, faint charging noise after that.
    Case 4: Loud whine, and it goes on for a few seconds and off for a few (voltage drop causing charging circuit to shut down)

Combo 1: Sony or Samsung charger + Sony or Samsung USB cable + extension cord = Case 4

Combo 2: Sony or Samsung charger + Any cable = Case 3

Combo 3: Apple 1A charger + Sony or Samsung USB cable = Case 2

Combo 4: Anker charger + Sony or Samsung USB cable = Case 2, slightly quieter than combo 3

Combo 5: Sony or Samsung charger + long 6ft Anker cable (same cable length as Combo 1) = Case 3

Combo 6: Apple 1A charger + Anker cable/Chord Mojo's bundled cable = Case 1

Combo 7: Anker charger + Anker cable/Chord Mojo's bundled cable = Case 1, slightly quieter than combo 6 directly compared, with no pattern to the noise (always the same loudness)

Anker PowerPort is tested at it's worse case scenario(unloaded), the ripple and spike measurements are better when the charger is fully loaded with devices. The Anker charger have noticeable more steady noise pattern than the Apple charger even with the best cable connected, the Apple charger's noise ripples in loudness and the Anker one is very steady at the same amplitude.

In short:

If you already have a Apple charger handy, just getting a quality USB cable like the one I've tested will yield noticeable gain, especially if you are using longer cables.

If you don't have an Apple charger, getting an Anker charger with their PowerLine cables will yield the best possible result without going to go with a lab bench linear power supply. Having a multiport desktop charager will also allow you to run shorter cables.

Link where I bought them:
    Anker PowerPort 5: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00VTI8K9K
    Anker PowerLine: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B014H3GKZ4

First

Back
56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65
Next

Last