Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Oct 17, 2015 at 10:54 PM Post #812 of 42,765
Theorem 720 vs Mojo anyone?

Oct 17, 2015 at 11:28 PM Post #814 of 42,765
49 members, 43 guest, this is start of something new. I always said if the manufacturer listen to their customers the product will sale itself. I really hope chords focus on the now not so niche market of portable audio. 

I still a chord amp, and a chord iem/headphone. No I am not suggesting the chord amp is to be paired with Hugo/Mojo. There are many people out there who like to have a chord amp to pair with their digital music player. An amp that follows the chord sound philosophy.

I know Dita is in collaboration with Chord and I have read that the designer of Chord Hugo/mojo hinted in him liking the Audioquest nighthawk however I haven't seen them recommend a product which they believe is capable of offering the full potential of what their product has to offer. I know sound is personal however I am certain the chord audience would not mind a headphone/iem recommendation.

Once I have my chord mojo I will go through the entirety of my products and try to produce a compatibility chart, I also welcome others to do the same and it would be great if we could compile all this in one post for folks to find easily accessible.

The mains ones I have currently with me as follows and I will do my best to report my so called product synergy with all this following items:

• Westone UM50pro
  • Sony EX-1000
  • Sennheiser IE800
  • Sennheiser HD600
  • Fostext TH900
  • AKG K812
  • AKG K3003
  • AKG K702
  • FLC8
  • Kaede II
  • Fitear F111
  • Final audio 6
  • Ultrasone IQ
  • Sony XBA-4
  • ATH CKR10
  • ATH ES10
  • ATH CK100Pro
  • Ortofon e-Q8
  • Dita Truth
  • Beyer Dynamic T5p

I'm interested in the ex1000, hd600 and k812 pairing!

Oh man does this thread move fast! Woke up to find 6 or 7 pages unread

Oct 17, 2015 at 11:33 PM Post #815 of 42,765
Humm some of you mentioned that the Mojo is warm sounding... how "warm" does the Mojo sound?
I like neutral and some what bright sound,so i'm worried it will sound too warm and dark....and that the treble will be rolled off too much.

Oct 17, 2015 at 11:41 PM Post #816 of 42,765
Humm some of you mentioned that the Mojo is warm sounding... how "warm" does the Mojo sound?
I like neutral and some what bright sound,so i'm worried it will sound too warm and dark....and that the treble will be rolled off too much.

I think it more subtle from what i have read, and that is a little richer sound with better base in the lower end than the Ultra Clean Hugo.

Oct 17, 2015 at 11:56 PM Post #817 of 42,765
I think it more subtle from what i have read, and that is a little richer sound with better base in the lower end than the Ultra Clean Hugo.

I read it that way too, the 'warmth' was relative to the Hugo, whose signature was not to some folks liking (too lean/cold/sterile were some of the criticisms I've seen levelled at the Hugo).

Oct 18, 2015 at 12:02 AM Post #818 of 42,765
I read it that way too, the 'warmth' was relative to the Hugo, whose signature was not to some folks liking (too lean/cold/sterile were some of the criticisms I've seen levelled at the Hugo).

lol - cold and sterile. Hugo is delicate, transparent and musical. I really have no clue what ears these people have.

They say it's a "warm" sound but is lean? .......

edit: - ah, I get it. It's those with HD800. We all know how cold, analytical and non musical the stock HD800 can be.

Oct 18, 2015 at 12:06 AM Post #819 of 42,765
lol - cold and sterile. Hugo is delicate, transparent and musical. I really have no clue what ears these people have.

Hey we all hear different, no need to denigrate them for that. FWIW some of the detractors are extremely experienced with high-end gear, even having their own measurement rigs and so forth. They're not randoms and I don't think you can write off their criticisms as being straight-up invalid in absolute terms, just different.

Edit: Response to your edit - no, we're not talking unmodified HD800s here. There is no easy way to dismiss their take on it, I would just file it under 'those guys don't hear things the way I do' and move on. I've not heard the Hugo, so no stakes in this myself, but certainly I've seen people have completely different takes than me on gear I've known well. I don't take it personally when someone doesn't dig a piece of gear I cherish.

Oct 18, 2015 at 12:24 AM Post #820 of 42,765
Hey we all hear different, no need to denigrate them for that. FWIW some of the detractors are extremely experienced with high-end gear, even having their own measurement rigs and so forth. They're not randoms and I don't think you can write off their criticisms as being straight-up invalid in absolute terms, just different.

Edit: Response to your edit - no, we're not talking unmodified HD800s here. There is no easy way to dismiss their take on it, I would just file it under 'those guys don't hear things the way I do' and move on. I've not heard the Hugo, so no stakes in this myself, but certainly I've seen people have completely different takes than me on gear I've known well. I don't take it personally when someone doesn't dig a piece of gear I cherish.

I get that we have different ears, but to me they are rambling. They say it's lean but warm - and they also say it is warm but yet cold? In both ways of "warm" definition it does not sound right.- I don't know who these "experienced" listeners are but because one is experienced in something does not necessarily mean it is set in stone - but like you said it is all subjective.

Oct 18, 2015 at 12:36 AM Post #821 of 42,765
Sorry, you've not read my earlier statement correctly. The warmth comment was in relation to the post above mine, which was in reference to the context in which people were saying the Mojo is warm - not in absolute terms, but relative to the Hugo which yet others have described as cold and lean. Nothing conflicting in the description of the Hugo.

Also, not sure why you'd characterise my statements as indicating some admiration for the guys I was talking about. I was merely pointing out that your attempts to cheapen their take on the Hugo to invalidate their opinion is incorrect. Sometimes we seek to understand conflicting opinions by trying to write them off somehow (Oh, that was a bad pairing/that was under meet conditions/the amp is underpowered etc), and sometimes that is correct, but sometimes you can't do that and just have to conclude their subjective opinion is different to ours.

Oct 18, 2015 at 12:37 AM Post #822 of 42,765
I think end of the day it come down to your pairing headphone/IEM and your own tolerance. For instances one of my all time favourite gear is Kaede II which is a very particular IEM. Paired with a warm source it produces a very organic and detail sound but paired with HUGP the sound becomes overly analytical and resolving which can get fatiguing. 

So yes it is not an easy answer, best is to test your source with a well known bright IEM and that is how you can know for surce.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

In DAP matching: 

I was thinking what can be a best source, best no only in sound but how it connects to Mojo. While Mojo is marketed to pair with various mobile device almost all of them require some form of otg and microUSB configuration which can get messy. So that leaves Optical and Coaxial. Issue with optical is for those of us who use DSD files it cannot natively do DoP so now the solution is to find a DAP that does DoP via Coaxial. Currently I know of two DAPS which offer a DoP feature: 
  1. Luxury&Percision L5P Pro and
  2. Eshter M1

What you guys think?

Oct 18, 2015 at 12:40 AM Post #823 of 42,765
At this point the noise being reported in use with phones is putting the use of the Mojo with them as transports in jeopardy much more than any difficulty in using OTG etc.

Oct 18, 2015 at 1:15 AM Post #824 of 42,765
At this point the noise being reported in use with phones is putting the use of the Mojo with them as transports in jeopardy much more than any difficulty in using OTG etc.

I havent received my Mojo yet, but this could be a killer reason not to use it. My HA-2 doesn't have feedback, nor has any previous item I have used or owned. Fortunately most of my music is on my iPhone and not streamed, so I hope with a foot separation between the Mojo and iPhone I dont get stupid feedback etc..

Oct 18, 2015 at 1:17 AM Post #825 of 42,765
I havent received my Mojo yet, but this could be a killer reason not to use it. My HA-2 doesn't have feedback, nor has any previous item I have used or owned. Fortunately most of my music is on my iPhone and not streamed, so I hope with a foot separation between the Mojo and iPhone I dont get stupid feedback etc..

In these heady early days of feedback we just need more data points, be interested to hear yours in due course.

Sometimes the negative feedback is as clouded by emotion as the positive, small disappointments can get blown out of proportion (not sure yet if this is one of those times). In the QP1R thread a guy mentioned some hiss with a particularly sensitive pair of IEMs, which caused like two pages of consternation from potential buyers who'd never heard the device, only for him to apologise for having raised it as it was so slight that it wasn't really an issue for him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back