Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Oct 18, 2015 at 1:19 AM Post #826 of 42,788
In these heady early days of feedback we just need more data points, be interested to hear yours in due course.

Considering I will have to use the Apple CCK there should be enough gap and the need to stack on top could be avoided with the devices placed side by side with a space left. I subscribe to 2 streaming services trials, so I will try to see how good or bad etc.

Oct 18, 2015 at 1:26 AM Post #828 of 42,788
I just tested the MoJo with the iPhone 5s. No hiss, no interference, no clicks, beeps, bops, etc. Connected with the standard CCK to micro USB cable to MoJo. Tried browsing the web, texting, and even called myself from the land line (the phone rings through the MoJo - blew my ears out!). No noise.

Not sure what the differences are that others may be experiencing but this is my experience with the 5s and MoJo. Also, my X5 and X5ii DAPs are silent connected through coaxial to the MoJo.

Oct 18, 2015 at 1:29 AM Post #829 of 42,788
Sorry, you've not read my earlier statement correctly. The warmth comment was in relation to the post above mine, which was in reference to the context in which people were saying the Mojo is warm - not in absolute terms, but relative to the Hugo which yet others have described as cold and lean. Nothing conflicting in the description of the Hugo.

Also, not sure why you'd characterise my statements as indicating some admiration for the guys I was talking about. I was merely pointing out that your attempts to cheapen their take on the Hugo to invalidate their opinion is incorrect. Sometimes we seek to understand conflicting opinions by trying to write them off somehow (Oh, that was a bad pairing/that was under meet conditions/the amp is underpowered etc), and sometimes that is correct, but sometimes you can't do that and just have to conclude their subjective opinion is different to ours.

Ah, but you see, I can invalidate them - my ears invalidate what they are saying. I've had the Hugo played on 3 setups - As a standalone DAC out to my amp to my speakers. Then as both a DAC and an Amp powering my speakers directly and finally as a headphone dac/amp to the HD800. - To my ears they were far, far away from being sterile and cold in all 3 setups.

Being sterile and cold means it is not doing its job as a DAC bringing the analog warmth to the sound. A Cold and a sterile DAC means it is passing digital signals right along without any filtering.
With the excessive amount of taps being used to tackle the very nature of digital music being cold, and sterile, are these guys implying that FPGA is a gimmick? - if that was the case, Hugo would not be as popular as it is today. You say a few "experienced" listeners say it sounds "digital". I disagree and I'm sure 10,000 owners would as well. Perhaps it is better for you to stop saying what other have said, when you have never heard it yourself.

Oct 18, 2015 at 1:30 AM Post #830 of 42,788
I just tested the MoJo with the iPhone 5s. No hiss, no interference, no clicks, beeps, bops, etc. Connected with the standard CCK to micro USB cable to MoJo. Tried browsing the web, texting, and even called myself from the land line (the phone rings through the MoJo - blew my ears out!). No noise.

Not sure what the differences are that others may be experiencing but this is my experience with the 5s and MoJo. Also, my X5 and X5ii DAPs are silent connected through coaxial to the MoJo.

Thanks, good to know your 5S seems fine, also good to know in advance that ring tones will be sent via the Mojo! I can't actually remember taking a call whilst listening via DACs on my Android devices, usually they route to the speaker I think in Android.

Oct 18, 2015 at 1:31 AM Post #831 of 42,788
Ah, but you see, I can invalidate them - my ears invalidate what they are saying. I've had the Hugo played on 3 setups - As a standalone DAC out to my amp to my speakers. Then as both a DAC and an Amp powering my speakers directly and finally as a headphone dac/amp to the HD800. - To my ears they were far, far away from being sterile and cold in all 3 setups.

Being sterile and cold means it is not doing its job as a DAC bringing the analog warmth to the sound. A Cold and a sterile DAC means it is passing digital signals right along without any filtering.
With the excessive amount of taps being used to tackle the very nature of digital music being cold, and sterile, are these guys implying that FPGA is a gimmick? - if that was the case, Hugo would not be as popular as it is today. You say a few "experienced" listeners say it sounds "digital". I disagree and I'm sure 10,000 owners would as well.

You don't seem to get what I'm saying. They are invalid *to you*, but your truth is no more correct or absolute than theirs. You can disagree here, but you can't invalidate their opinion. Remember, we agreed that we all hear different?

My saying they are valid is not tantamount to saying their view is the truth, in a subjective hobby multiple points of view can be valid.

Also, it is perfectly fine to point to dissenting opinions, whether you have heard the device in question or not.

Oct 18, 2015 at 1:33 AM Post #832 of 42,788
You don't seem to get what I'm saying. They are invalid *to you*, but your truth is no more correct or absolute than theirs. Remember, we agreed that we all hear different?

Perhaps it is better then for you to stop bringing up what "experienced others" have said if you have never heard it yourself?

- I understand it's like talking to a brick wall since you have no experience with hugo. You will prabably never get what I'm saying. Oh well, moving on.

Oct 18, 2015 at 1:38 AM Post #833 of 42,788

will the mojo work with the cable you pointed out earlier or was that cable specific for the hugo? Man the more I read about mojo the more I want it. I wonder how it compares to the Geek Out v2? I am going to be sending in my V2 to pay the difference in price to upgrade it to V2+  If the Mojo is much better I might end up selling the V2+ and save up for the mojo 

Oct 18, 2015 at 1:42 AM Post #834 of 42,788
Perhaps it is better then for you to stop bringing up what "experienced others" have said if you have never heard it yourself?

- I understand it's like talking to a brick wall since you have no experience with hugo. You will prabably never get what I'm saying. Oh well, moving on.
That is more than a little harsh!!

FWIW, I am one of the people that finds the Hugo cold and sterile, compared to well, the Mojo, and also players like the ZX2, and definitely against vinyl... I have all of those items, does that invalidate my thoughts as well? what probably doesn't help me is that I generally listen to bright IEMs, but I do mention this, and this is a valid argument, alongside those that use the HD800...

I add those disclaimers to my posts, feel free to search through my posts right now to check, now, tell me I do not know what I'm listening to, or how I'm listening to it, and I'll leave this site never to come back, due to the elitist, arrogant nature of some of its members, however, tell me you understand different people come from different directions and that you get that opinions are like brains, everyone has one - then, I'll buy the next round at the bar...

Your move.

Oct 18, 2015 at 1:43 AM Post #835 of 42,788
will the mojo work with the cable you pointed out earlier or was that cable specific for the hugo? Man the more I read about mojo the more I want it. I wonder how it compares to the Geek Out v2? I am going to be sending in my V2 to pay the difference in price to upgrade it to V2+  If the Mojo is much better I might end up selling the V2+ and save up for the mojo 

It should work Tamal, but as I explained earlier I haven't tried it. I specifically want to try it with the MoJo.

Oct 18, 2015 at 1:44 AM Post #836 of 42,788

Hi Searchofsub, I do understand your standpoint with regards to Nztechfreak, however what Nztechfreak is trying to point out is that different ppl have different interpretations of SQ. Which is why certain products will appeal to certain ppl and not others.
Similarly to why some bassheads will comment that certain headphones/IEM sound flat and without substance while others will tell you they have ample bass.
Another example would be the not so recent viral image of the Blue/Black or White/Gold dress. You wouldn't address the other person as color blind would you?

Oct 18, 2015 at 1:52 AM Post #838 of 42,788
That is more than a little harsh!!

FWIW, I am one of the people that finds the Hugo cold and sterile, compared to well, the Mojo, and also players like the ZX2, and definitely against vinyl... I have all of those items, does that invalidate my thoughts as well? what probably doesn't help me is that I generally listen to bright IEMs, but I do mention this, and this is a valid argument, alongside those that use the HD800...

I add those disclaimers, now, tell me I do not know what I'm listening to, or how I'm listening to it, and I'll leave this site never to come back, due to the elitist, arrogant nature of some of its members, however, tell me you understand different people come from different directions and that you get that opinions are like brains, everyone has one - then, I'll buy the next round at the bar...

Your move.

Ofcourse I understand that all other factors including amps, headphones, cables associated with the final outcome of sound will have influences of their own. However, the member that spoke of those people that call it sterile and cold never mention anything about the rest of the gear or what they compared it to, but just say "these experienced listeners say Hugo is cold and sterile". That is what I am trying to respond to.

If the rest of the story and gears used to compare it to were brought up, I would be able to hear the reasons behind it, but it was never mentioned. Compared to SET amps, tube preamps, tube dacs like lampizator or vinyls, ofcourse it will sound "cold-ER" but I would still have to disagree about it being straight sterile no matter what equipment it is compared to.

However, in general I do understand that people do have different ears and opinions of what they hear.

Oct 18, 2015 at 2:10 AM Post #840 of 42,788

Were they stacked? With my Fiio E18, I hear EMI only when they're stacked back to back with iPhone. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back