Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Oct 17, 2015 at 5:54 PM Post #781 of 42,765
I guess considering the Mojo is being compared favorably to the Hugo which is around £1400 the extra £140 for the Mojo over the HA-2 is probably worth in... Damn audio temptations!

Oct 17, 2015 at 6:00 PM Post #782 of 42,765
I know a few people have both the Chord Mojo and the Oppo HA 2 in this threat but so far we haven't had a good in depth comparison. I bought the Oppo HA 2 a few weeks ago and now am tempted to return it for this. It's going to be used mainly with a pair of Westone W60 and Beyerdynamic DT 1770. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

No comparison with the mojo. 

Bought my HA-2 2 weeks ago, and if I had know the mojo was going to be out I wouldn't have bothered. I had both of them at the same time, and the sound quality between the two is vastly different.

The mojo is so much more musical than the Oppo. Lets just say I sold the Oppo for a loss. 
tongue_smile.gif

Oct 17, 2015 at 6:18 PM Post #783 of 42,765
I'm sure it would be a very nice sounding unit. It's a bigger market than Hugo, I'm sure Chord put alot of effort into it. - Sometimes it doesn't work that way because simply the engineering side isn't there for those companies, but we all know Chord can deliver with sound.

However, as much as I'd like it to be, I highly doubt it will be as good as Hugo. For me, that 1% -10% of sound improvement is what gets me that euphonic sound that gives me a headchange, so I understand why many equipment that is just couple percentages better have such price difference. - but I am sure Mojo will be one of the best unit in its own price range. Just like Hugo was IMO the best sound for its own range.

Oct 17, 2015 at 6:38 PM Post #784 of 42,765
Might be just me, however - I find that the MoJo seems to really start living up to its name when the volume is a fair way up...

Might be normal to some people (remembering from CanJam how loudly some people were listening) however - for those that have the Mojo, the sound (to me) really starts getting truly musical at yellow left, green right on the volume... this, with the Laylas...

Am I alone in this, or - just slightly insane / deranged / deaf?

Oct 17, 2015 at 6:50 PM Post #786 of 42,765
Might be just me, however - I find that the MoJo seems to really start living up to its name when the volume is a fair way up...

Might be normal to some people (remembering from CanJam how loudly some people were listening) however - for those that have the Mojo, the sound (to me) really starts getting truly musical at yellow left, green right on the volume... this, with the Laylas...

Am I alone in this, or - just slightly insane / deranged / deaf?

maybe.....

i read something a while ago which said that when increasing the volume, the sound quaity does not improve but enjoyment does. then it went in to detail about he science and how we naturally like our music loud! 

bain vs dac LOL

Oct 17, 2015 at 7:02 PM Post #787 of 42,765
49 members, 43 guest, this is start of something new. I always said if the manufacturer listen to their customers the product will sale itself. I really hope chords focus on the now not so niche market of portable audio. 

I still a chord amp, and a chord iem/headphone. No I am not suggesting the chord amp is to be paired with Hugo/Mojo. There are many people out there who like to have a chord amp to pair with their digital music player. An amp that follows the chord sound philosophy.

I know Dita is in collaboration with Chord and I have read that the designer of Chord Hugo/mojo hinted in him liking the Audioquest nighthawk however I haven't seen them recommend a product which they believe is capable of offering the full potential of what their product has to offer. I know sound is personal however I am certain the chord audience would not mind a headphone/iem recommendation.

Once I have my chord mojo I will go through the entirety of my products and try to produce a compatibility chart, I also welcome others to do the same and it would be great if we could compile all this in one post for folks to find easily accessible.

The mains ones I have currently with me as follows and I will do my best to report my so called product synergy with all this following items:

1. Westone UM50pro
  2. Sony EX-1000
  3. Sennheiser IE800
  4. Sennheiser HD600
  5. Fostext TH900
  6. AKG K812
  7. AKG K3003
  8. AKG K702
  9. FLC8
  10. Kaede II
  11. Fitear F111
  12. Final audio 6
  13. Ultrasone IQ
  14. Sony XBA-4
  15. ATH CKR10
  16. ATH ES10
  17. ATH CK100Pro
  18. Ortofon e-Q8
  19. Dita Truth
  20. Beyer Dynamic T5p

Oct 17, 2015 at 7:37 PM Post #789 of 42,765
Getting some terrible interference when paired with my iPhone when using 4g. Anyone else experiencing same issue?

I'm also getting strong interferences when streaming while listening through IPhone 6s and Mojo. It is the same on wifi and 4g. Using Pandora 6 and AKG K3003. I am now just listening while offline, though it is not ideal to turn your phone off while listening to music.

Oct 17, 2015 at 8:12 PM Post #791 of 42,765
Interference happens with almost all the portable DAC/Amps I've tried - even when other reviews said it didn't. Maybe I'm just really sensitive to it...

Definitely happens with the ALO CDM, but it was said to be designed that way as the shielding was said to negatively impact SQ.

Oct 17, 2015 at 8:45 PM Post #792 of 42,765
  Can you please do a quick comparison between the Groove and the Mojo?
Thanks!

The Groove is good for the price, better than my IFI Nano IDSD - it's very flat/neutral response as is expected from Apogee, clear but not shrill, has authority over the headphone, and gets down to business but can sound slightly congested at times. Mojo is in a different league however (and should be given it's almost twice the cost), it's like a comparison between a nice CD player and a very good turntable (Mojo). I will be selling the Groove sad to say as it's rather nice, I can't justify keeping it alongside the M.

Oct 17, 2015 at 8:55 PM Post #793 of 42,765
I must admit i am confused when i read about people listening to lossy music and spending a large amount of money on the equipment to do so.....Spotify is a great service but it doesnt make a lot of sense to use a hugo or mojo with costly headphones because there is only so much you can do with an MP3....Tidal is another story however

Oct 17, 2015 at 8:57 PM Post #794 of 42,765
Im a hair away from ordering one!

Is the mojo the end game setup for smartphone users with ciems as i have a CT-6E and would LOVE a portable step up as the LG phone i have leave me much to be desired?

Oct 17, 2015 at 8:59 PM Post #795 of 42,765
Interference happens with almost all the portable DAC/Amps I've tried - even when other reviews said it didn't. Maybe I'm just really sensitive to it...

Agreed. All of Ray Samuels amps (and I have three of them) are renowned for their blackhole quiet background BUT they all pick up radio frequency interference from both the cellular and or wifi connection. The only solution I have found when using an iPod Touch or iPhone is to put the iDevice in airplane mode when using the amplifier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back