Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Aug 3, 2021 at 12:24 AM Post #41,716 of 42,765
@damdl forgot to mention, if you like the Mangird Tea sound, but want an upgrade, the new Shuoer EJ07M has similar sound but upgrade in pretty much every way for just a little more. I also just reviewed it. I also like the Dunu SA6 a lot!

Aug 3, 2021 at 1:16 AM Post #41,717 of 42,765
Hi everybody! So I've been on the fence about my next step in IEM's... I've been rocking my mangird teas since last year, and they pair amazingly with the mojo. I'd say they are mid-chi-fi tier, and I would like to jump to the Hi-Fi tier. (IERZ1R's, Mest, Valkyrie, etc.) The issue with this is that in the end... In "my market" Hi-Fi means paying about double the usual amount for headphones; and sending them back... Well usually costs as much as ordering them, haha. This said I don't really have a lot of space to try and send back...

I know it's possibly a very complicated question to answer and completely dependent on one's taste, but what are those High-end IEM's that pair greatly with the Mojo?

I'm someone who is "sensitive" to high frequencies**

After buying the Mojo in 2017 I have been working my way up through the IEM market over the past 4 years.
It was really a journey, learning about technologies, what is available at which prices and who's opinion to listen to.
Toranku listed a number of recommended reviewers here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/tor...ws-and-target-eq-filters.895832/post-16465893
I found the threads by Toranku and Precogvision exceptionally helpful, especially the ranking list by Precog, linked in his opening post:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/precogs-iem-reviews-impressions.937468/post-15739675

My current rotation consists of the IER-M9, the Moondrop Variations and the Unique Melody 3DT. Each of them excells at different things.

The M9 is really good, but as everyone says, it's quite laid back. It presents music very precisely and evenly, with lots of detail, very good body and soundstage.
One thing to know is that the upper treble is quite defined and crisp, rather than just smooth. In this track the M9 almost gets a little gritty:
https://tidal.com/browse/track/99219618
Fit is comfortable but a little tricky to get right. Quite good isolation.

The Moondrop Variations is brand new, and very different from the M9, but overall almost equally good.
( I had considered the Thieaudio Monarch, but when I saw that Toranku and Precogvision put the Variations on their personal favorites list I got them instead)
Excellent bass, clean, fast, punchy and detailed, silky smooth but slightly lean mids and treble that is present and detailed without ever getting aggressive.
It has slightly less detail than the M9, a wider but less deep soundstage with maybe slightly less focused imaging, but in turn it is more dynamic. Great with female vocals, a bit thin with males. It's cleaner and tighter than the M9. The fit is great for me, isolation is similar to the M9.

The UM 3DT is maybe not for you, it's maybe too V-shaped and needs some modding to smooth out the treble.
Then it's an incredibly dynamic, grande sounding IEM with excellent isolation, smooth, engaging, with good detail and stage, excellent clarity and good layering.

Long story short - The M9 is really good, but I’d take a look at the Variations too.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2021 at 3:22 PM Post #41,718 of 42,765
Thanx for your response.
I suppose I wait for upcoming CanJam to try some headphones out, to see what is what.
I don't know much about UAPP, as I couldn't find a trial version - and I don't like the idea that I have to buy it first just to try it out, as cheap is it maybe.
As for Neutron, it is my choice of player for years. The recent update and headphone correction database, I found it as just a gimmick!
It has a large database of equalizer correction presets, apparantly based on Crinacle curves.
For me it didn't work, HOWEVER! - there is a facility to edit or create your own, which is great - I did that and it works for me.
Regarding the HD6xx headphones, it is claimed that 660X is a turbo charged 650 - in which it is fine tuned better, and it has a better driver with wider response and lower distortion.
As flawed as Sennheiser iem models IE800 and IE 400 pro are (the ones I have heard), there is no deying that they have very special drivers!
The bass quality and quantity from either is phenomenal. General resolution of their sound is very high too, but the tuning sucks big time!
Both have V shaped frequency response (or mid range suckout) - so to get them sounding right, I had to resort to physical modification and digital equalization, but they respond well to them.
Until I can actually hear my next headphone before hand, I am not going to buy anything again.
Here we go CanJam.

(Emphasis Added)
A Google search for "usb audio player pro demo" provides this link - https://www.extreamsd.com/index.php/uapp-trial

Aug 3, 2021 at 3:41 PM Post #41,719 of 42,765
Aug 4, 2021 at 10:53 AM Post #41,721 of 42,765
I have been advised that the mojo has officially been discontinued...

Do you know if Chord is likely to keep making/stocking the batteries for it? Mine is running as new strong (lack of travel due to pandemic), but I can see myself needing one in two years or something...

Aug 4, 2021 at 10:54 AM Post #41,722 of 42,765
Do you know if Chord is likely to keep making/stocking the batteries for it? Mine is running as new strong (lack of travel due to pandemic), but I can see myself needing one in two years or something...
No idea but chord is a good company. I guess support for discontinued products remain in place. Mojo 2 on the way?

Aug 4, 2021 at 11:06 AM Post #41,725 of 42,765
If Mojo2 is the replacement, I suspect it would have a similar form factor to match with Poly?
I also reckon if there is a Mojo2 then there would also be 2poly!
Poly'a BT section is way outdated.
At least it would need an LDAC upgrade.
But if such a 2poly turns up, and it does fit old Mojo and a little cheaper, then it would sell like hot-cakes!

Aug 4, 2021 at 11:36 AM Post #41,726 of 42,765
I do not see the purpose of hugo 2 for myself. At my home setup I've got Chord Qutest which I believe has the same dac section as hugo 2 and I think my amplifier bests amp section of Hugo 2.

My main target is a decent tube amp just to try another flavor and see how it goes with Utopia
The Qutest DAC’s analogue output (it is not a separate amp stage) is actually the same as the Mojo’s, as confirmed by Rob. The Hugo2 DAC’s analogue output is more sophisticated with second order noise shapers. I reckon that this is because, by design, the Qutest is meant to be used with an external amp, but be aware that the DAC’s analogue stage (what drive’s all of the outputs in Rob’s designs) is not bypassed compared to traditional gear with a separate amp section.

Go for what you enjoy of course, and a tube amp may give what you’re looking for.

Aug 4, 2021 at 11:51 AM Post #41,727 of 42,765
Aug 4, 2021 at 1:24 PM Post #41,728 of 42,765
If nothing is launched at upcoming CanJam , chances are nothing will be launched till next one.
Assuming CanJam itself won't get cancelled .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back