Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Aug 4, 2021 at 5:26 PM Post #41,731 of 42,765
Shouldn't the Hugo 1, Hugo 2, Chord Mojo and even Chord Dave all sound exactly the same due them being audibly transparant as per the audiosciencereview site?

Really? Audibly transparent? Is there a test for that?

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-measurements-of-chord-mojo-dac-and-amp.5120/

"There is really nothing broken in Chord Mojo. It performs well in a variety of tests. The issue with it is so much technical hype about its superiority that one is left empty after seeing performance that is well below state-of-the-art. We have DACs at less than half the price easily outperforming it on many tests. I cannot see any technical benefit to its design approach. On the contrary, that approach brings with it much higher cost, and power consumption. Combine that with the poor user interface and the Chord Mojo is simply not my cup of tea."

Aug 4, 2021 at 5:46 PM Post #41,734 of 42,765
As long as you are happy to pay for more boxes...
there are reasons for more boxes.
Mojo for various reasons almost has no free space inside, to squeeze poly inside is not possible, also not everyone requires wireless functionality (me!), why carry it about and pay for something I don't use, also poly can protect Mojo from RFI or EMI.
If Mojo had wireless facility but was £200 more expensive, I wouldn't have bought one.

Aug 4, 2021 at 6:03 PM Post #41,736 of 42,765
Shouldn't the Hugo 1, Hugo 2, Chord Mojo and even Chord Dave all sound exactly the same due them being audibly transparant as per the audiosciencereview site?

If you blindly believe their reviews based on measurements you will most likely end up with flat and boring sound. I have their highly praised, 0 distortion, one of the best measured dac Topping E30. Once I purchased Chord Qutest it basically killed E30 without a contest in my audio chain. Qutest gave detailed, better layered and more exciting sound. The difference was even larger when I tested dac's with speakers.

Aug 4, 2021 at 6:10 PM Post #41,737 of 42,765
I would like a Chord dap with a Chord dac and functionality similar to modern daps. If they want to call it the Mojo 2, fine. They could produce this in cooperation with companies such as Shanling or Fiio who have a good handle on dap technology.

Aug 4, 2021 at 6:28 PM Post #41,738 of 42,765
If you blindly believe their reviews based on measurements you will most likely end up with flat and boring sound. I have their highly praised, 0 distortion, one of the best measured dac Topping E30. Once I purchased Chord Qutest it basically killed E30 without a contest in my audio chain. Qutest gave detailed, better layered and more exciting sound. The difference was even larger when I tested dac's with speakers.
Yeah, I also found it weird that he measured the HD600 and HD650 to sound the same, and when he did the listening test he said they sounded exactly the same...

Thanks for confirming your experience with such an excellent measuring DAC. Listening still is the number 1 priority :)

Aug 4, 2021 at 7:14 PM Post #41,739 of 42,765
Yeah, I also found it weird that he measured the HD600 and HD650 to sound the same, and when he did the listening test he said they sounded exactly the same...

Thanks for confirming your experience with such an excellent measuring DAC. Listening still is the number 1 priority :)

ASR crew strongly believes that all well measured dac's sound the same. I mean I start to think that these guys actually do not listen to music. Priority for them is to reach already inaudible measurements leaving all the rest behind. Personally I could spot the difference even between portable dac's. When you get a revealing headphone, DAC starts to play very important role. I was actually most impressed with the DAC performance when I jumped into desktop tier

Aug 5, 2021 at 4:35 AM Post #41,741 of 42,765
Doubtful. Especially since one would expect them to make the new Mojo able do whatever the poly does. That would make attaching an old poly pointless.

This. There are £15 Chromecast Audios that can pretty much delivery the same functionality of the Chord Poly (excluding SD card reading) so there is no excuse in my book why this functionality should not be built in to the Mojo 2 in 2022.

Aug 5, 2021 at 5:00 AM Post #41,742 of 42,765
This. There are £15 Chromecast Audios that can pretty much delivery the same functionality of the Chord Poly (excluding SD card reading) so there is no excuse in my book why this functionality should not be built in to the Mojo 2 in 2022.
I have the cromecast and I am sorry but there is no comparison between the poly and this unit

Aug 5, 2021 at 9:17 AM Post #41,743 of 42,765
I have the cromecast and I am sorry but there is no comparison between the poly and this unit
I also have the CCA and Poly. And I do not think there is a £585 difference between the CCA and Poly.
CCA also has better WiFi range than the poly and can easily be used with most streaming services.
The only way the poly works well is with roon. All other play methods "feel" like a workaround.

Aug 5, 2021 at 11:02 AM Post #41,744 of 42,765
I also have the CCA and Poly. And I do not think there is a £585 difference between the CCA and Poly.
CCA also has better WiFi range than the poly and can easily be used with most streaming services.
The only way the poly works well is with roon. All other play methods "feel" like a workaround.
why don't you sell it then?

Aug 5, 2021 at 11:08 AM Post #41,745 of 42,765
ASR crew strongly believes that all well measured dac's . . . .
Don't knock Audio Science Review, they serve a needed purpose.
As the name claims, they are a Science based organization.
To ASR, measurements are everything, they knock things that do not measure well enough, and state it should sound accordingly.
But they have said on so many occasions that the reverse is not necessarily true, meaning devices that measure well MUST sound good also!
The Beef;
On reviewing Mojo, they said that with all the talk regarding Mojo's claimed (by Mr. Watts) technical superiority, he (Amir) could not measure super-duper results!
Even though he did praise Mojo for having virtually no Jitter and low level stability was almost perfect, STILL it did not bode well with Mojo lovers (US)!
On reviewing the Qutest (I believe) he praised it so much, but still, the die was cast.
ASR provides valuable information on what not to buy! and what to consider - as someone else has already said:
Listening still is the number 1 priority.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back