Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Aug 5, 2021 at 6:54 PM Post #41,761 of 42,765
Why not? People pay for a Ferrari that technically does the same thing with a Toyota. Still they buy the Ferrari.
Sure, if you take performance out of the equation.

Aug 5, 2021 at 9:07 PM Post #41,762 of 42,765
I would say, three quarter are just posers , meaning to show off " look at my new toy, you can not afford!"
the other one quarter, actually understand that Porsche does certain things a Toyota doesn't , and they want those things.
they just can not have those things for less money.
Toyota sells far far more cars than Porsche! because it has higher value for money.
but this is not a good example. if Porsche was a bit cheaper, I still wouldn't touch it!
but if Poly was cheaper .....
This is a good question. Out of curiosity, how much cheaper would it have to be? I’ve followed this thread from the beginning, and originally there were going to be multiple modules: SD card, WiFi, etc. but Chord decided to put it all in one. I think that was wise, because it creates more value and less complication, but trades off flexibility. They also developed a custome 10-layer chip to fit the small form factor.

So, for trade offs to lower the price, would you accept a larger form factor, a plastic case instead of aluminum, or ?? I leave that to the DIYers and look to Chord for the premium product, even in the lower mobile range.

Aug 5, 2021 at 11:03 PM Post #41,763 of 42,765
Anyone have any experience driving Aeon Noire headphones with a Mojo?

Aug 5, 2021 at 11:08 PM Post #41,764 of 42,765
Anyone have any experience driving Aeon Noire headphones with a Mojo?
Yes, that is now my primary combo for daily listening, about an hour a day in the morning, when away from mScaler/TT2. It is the best combination I could imagine for Mojo, and I started with the A2C with stock pads and then went to the perforated pads and then the A2C. It’s both sweet and detailed to my ears, with good, balanced bass, minds and treble. Revealing and pleasurable. Mojo drives them fine on double red to as high as double green, depending on source and loudness preference. Highly recommended.

Aug 5, 2021 at 11:22 PM Post #41,765 of 42,765
Yes, that is now my primary combo for daily listening, about an hour a day in the morning, when away from mScaler/TT2. It is the best combination I could imagine for Mojo, and I started with the A2C with stock pads and then went to the perforated pads and then the A2C. It’s both sweet and detailed to my ears, with good, balanced bass, minds and treble. Revealing and pleasurable. Mojo drives them fine on double red to as high as double green, depending on source and loudness preference. Highly recommended.
Thank you so much for your reply. That you also have a TT2 provides me with an additional helpful data point. Glad you are really happy with them!

Aug 6, 2021 at 5:44 AM Post #41,766 of 42,765
Why not? People pay for a Ferrari that technically does the same thing with a Toyota. Still they buy the Ferrari.
I would consider the poly a Ferrari if it has the latest level Bluetooth with all the latest codecs and effortless connectivity to either roon smartphone or pc/Mac etc. If it had an accompanying app that worked quickly and efficiently with no requirement for 3rd party apps. If it's battery life was not terrible. If it's WiFi range was even close to CCA or a smartphone (after all the poly costs as much as a high end smartphone)
Then I would consider the poly a Ferrari and then your comparison to a Toyota would make sense to me.

Aug 6, 2021 at 8:07 AM Post #41,767 of 42,765
I would consider the poly a Ferrari if it has the latest level Bluetooth with all the latest codecs and effortless connectivity to either roon smartphone or pc/Mac etc. If it had an accompanying app that worked quickly and efficiently with no requirement for 3rd party apps. If it's battery life was not terrible. If it's WiFi range was even close to CCA or a smartphone (after all the poly costs as much as a high end smartphone)
Then I would consider the poly a Ferrari and then your comparison to a Toyota would make sense to me.
Which car has more "accessories"? A Ferrari Enzo or a Toyota Auris? When we talk strictly about performance then yes, it's a Ferrari.

Aug 6, 2021 at 10:02 AM Post #41,769 of 42,765
Which car has more "accessories"? A Ferrari Enzo or a Toyota Auris? When we talk strictly about performance then yes, it's a Ferrari.
Just for fun! :smile:
Which car (or hifi equipment) has an accessory that costs more than the car itself ???
For comparison , if I am correct:
Hugo2 retails for about £1800 - 2Go retails for about £1000 (i.e. %56)
Mojo is £400 - Poly is £500 (i.e. %125 !)
These are really expensive accessories, compared to the price of the equipment.
dCS rossini is £20k , the clock is £6.6K (%33)
dCS network bridge is just over £4K !

I am not knocking Chord at all - If one needs a Poly, then pay for it, by all means.
I think Poly is an expensive acc. with limited use. Because Chord could not sell it in mass numbers, the cost of original R&D and limited manufacturing has inflated its price.
Mojo has stood the test of time, but Poly quickly got outdated (The BT section at least).

Aug 6, 2021 at 10:28 AM Post #41,770 of 42,765
Which car (or hifi equipment) has an accessory that costs more than the car itself ???

I am not knocking Chord at all - If one needs a Poly, then pay for it, by all means.
I think Poly is an expensive acc. with limited use. Because Chord could not sell it in mass numbers, the cost of original R&D and limited manufacturing has inflated its price.
Mojo has stood the test of time, but Poly quickly got outdated (The BT section at least).

I agree re the price of the Poly. Despite the response from Chord that I quoted above, I believe that indeed Chord finance/marketing (nothing to do with Rob / engineering) decided that they have a captive clientele and slapped a very, very unreasonable price on the Poly. It really is mind boggling to claim the Poly hardware and research cost more than the Mojo itself.

I get it that they are a respected brand that designs and manufactures high quality niche products. As such, I don't think they should go down market with the prices to chase more customers; I for one don't think a Mojo 2 that does more than the original Mojo should cost the same. But with the Poly they went so unreasonably high that they lost even a "loyal" customer on this particular product -- as a matter of principle.

Aug 6, 2021 at 10:39 AM Post #41,771 of 42,765
I agree re the price of the Poly. Despite the response from Chord that I quoted above, I believe that indeed Chord finance/marketing (nothing to do with Rob / engineering) decided that they have a captive clientele and slapped a very, very unreasonable price on the Poly. It really is mind boggling to claim the Poly hardware and research cost more than the Mojo itself.

I get it that they are a respected brand that designs and manufactures high quality niche products. As such, I don't think they should go down market with the prices to chase more customers; I for one don't think a Mojo 2 that does more than the original Mojo should cost the same. But with the Poly they went so unreasonably high that they lost even a "loyal" customer on this particular product -- as a matter of principle.
Pairing the Mojo with a low end DAP beats the Poly with far greater feature set and much lower price. The only advantage the Poly has is it fits nicely with the Mojo. Right now, I own a Mojo/Poly and it gets no ear time at all because my DX300 outperforms it in every way.

Aug 6, 2021 at 11:17 AM Post #41,773 of 42,765

The question for me is simple. 400 and 500£. Can you find a portable device that sounds better for this money? But again, what is better. Anyway. To change the subject. Does anybody knows if you can tell the year build of a mojo from its S/N?

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2021 at 11:33 AM Post #41,774 of 42,765
The question for me is simple. 400 and 500£. Can you find a portable device that sounds better for this money?
For Mojo:
Not yet, but I am on the look out.
For Poly:
Don't know, the price was inhibitive, for my limited use it wasn't worth it.

I mean if I was to have a phone or a tablet to control what to play, it is not much of a bother to run a USB cable to the DAC (not a tiny 2" cable, but a 1.2m cable).
Think about it, I have to be close enough to the DAC to plug my ear/headphones to it, don't I? so I could plug the USB too.
I never use my Mojo as a desktop DAC, so that condition never applies to me.

BTW, I moded an X05BT Pro (see here) to add BT capability to my Mojo - I sold it on eBay, as even that, never got any use.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2021 at 12:45 AM Post #41,775 of 42,765
The question for me is simple. 400 and 500£. Can you find a portable device that sounds better for this money?
By portable device if you mean an alternate to Ploy. The best one I can think of would be the xDuoo X10T II. It's almost the same size as Mojo, built to be used as a transport, has built-in controls and EQ, has a screen, has HiBy Link to control playback from a phone, SD Card for Offline use, can be used with other devices cause of multiple outputs... and costs less than Poly, the only fault with the X10 T II is lack of LDAC.

If you are OK with loosing some sound quality, the Topping BC3 is a great option and much better than 05BL Pro. I got the BC3 about 4 days ago and have tested it with my Mojo and iDSD Signature both work great with no delay connected via an Optical Cable. It has better range than 05BL Pro, can be used as a bluetooth DAC/Amp for IEM's or even easy to drive Headphones like my Meze 99C. because it has the ability to use an optical cable there is no need to worry about noise or interference from usb input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back