Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Aug 2, 2021 at 9:50 AM Post #41,701 of 42,765
Does anyone else finds nice synergy between HD650 and Mojo ? I was expecting Mojo to fit Utopias better, but it actually got glued with HD650. This combo bests my previous lower tier tube desktop equipment ( Feliks Echo + Topping E30 dac). Even though with Echo vocals sounds more romantic, but whole presentation is too laid back. Technically Mojo is superior here and brings more life to HD650 while keeping it's organic sound signature.

With Utopias it can be hit or miss and is very track dependent. Some tracks can sound a bit grainy and thin in treble region. That doesn't mix well with utopias aggressive approach. Where HD650 is naturally rolled off in bass, mojo with utopia misses on impact in lowest registers. With well recorded track it will still show strengths on Utopia, but with HD650 everything gells so well that I can listen to any genre.

Aug 2, 2021 at 11:46 AM Post #41,702 of 42,765
Does anyone else finds nice synergy between HD650 and Mojo ? I was expecting Mojo to fit Utopias better, but it actually got glued with HD650. This combo bests my previous lower tier tube desktop equipment ( Feliks Echo + Topping E30 dac). Even though with Echo vocals sounds more romantic, but whole presentation is too laid back. Technically Mojo is superior here and brings more life to HD650 while keeping it's organic sound signature.

With Utopias it can be hit or miss and is very track dependent. Some tracks can sound a bit grainy and thin in treble region. That doesn't mix well with utopias aggressive approach. Where HD650 is naturally rolled off in bass, mojo with utopia misses on impact in lowest registers. With well recorded track it will still show strengths on Utopia, but with HD650 everything gells so well that I can listen to any genre.
If you like the Mojo mids with the Utopia but want more definition and extension in lows and highs, check out the Hugo 2!

Aug 2, 2021 at 12:05 PM Post #41,704 of 42,765
If you like the Mojo mids with the Utopia but want more definition and extension in lows and highs, check out the Hugo 2!

I do not see the purpose of hugo 2 for myself. At my home setup I've got Chord Qutest which I believe has the same dac section as hugo 2 and I think my amplifier bests amp section of Hugo 2.

My main target is a decent tube amp just to try another flavor and see how it goes with Utopia

Aug 2, 2021 at 12:55 PM Post #41,705 of 42,765
My main target is a decent tube amp just to try another flavor and see how it goes with Utopia
Exactly for tube amp you are looking for or can be something else ?

What i would recommend is to check Xduoo XD05 Plus (plus right) or the new balanced version of it. Then you could order few different operational amplifiers and switch the stock one. That will change the sound a lot. Muses03 is superb for bright headphones.

Some positive points:

- Can be used as amp and so connect it to any DAC, Mojo included.
- Can change it's battery after time.
- Has internal DAC with AKM chips, no reason to use it since you have Mojo, but there is this option.
- Separate port for charge and USB, so will not drain battery of your other device if you decide use it as DAC/Amp.
- Line out (if you use it as DAC).
- Coaxial input.
- Not very expensive.

Negatives:

- Suitable for headphones above 32 ohms, no iems and very sensitive stuff. Which the Focal Utopia should not be that sensitive.

Main point is to try different operational amplifiers with this, which will be like trying whole new amps and other devices.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2021 at 1:18 PM Post #41,706 of 42,765
I'll be honest I have not got a set of headphones or IEMs that the mojo does not pair well with.

I thought the 650's would be too warm with the mojo but I agree with what you said about them pairing very well.

Aug 2, 2021 at 1:47 PM Post #41,707 of 42,765
Exactly for tube amp you are looking for or can be something else ?

What i would recommend is to check Xduoo XD05 Plus (plus right) or the new balanced version of it. Then you could order few different operational amplifiers and switch the stock one. That will change the sound a lot. Muses03 is superb for bright headphones.

Some positive points:

- Can be used as amp and so connect it to any DAC, Mojo included.
- Can change it's battery after time.
- Has internal DAC with AKM chips, no reason to use it since you have Mojo, but there is this option.
- Separate port for charge and USB, so will not drain battery of your other device if you decide use it as DAC/Amp.
- Line out (if you use it as DAC).
- Coaxial input.
- Not very expensive.

Negatives:

- Suitable for headphones above 32 ohms, no iems and very sensitive stuff. Which the Focal Utopia should not be that sensitive.

Main point is to try different operational amplifiers with this, which will be like trying whole new amps and other devices.

Mojo actually sealed the deal for me regards similar portable devices. I see no purpose of Xduoo XD05 in my scenario as it won't match qualities of good desktop amplifier.
My current desktop setup Mac->Denafrips Iris-> Chord Qutest->Luxman P1 punches way above than any portable dac/amp can bring to the table, but Mojo comes closest.

With tube amplifier I want to achieve additional bass impact, improved staging and timbre for Utopia. I want to see how luxman will stack against decent tube amplifier and In the end I plan to keep only one.

Aug 2, 2021 at 5:26 PM Post #41,708 of 42,765
Hi everybody! So I've been on the fence about my next step in IEM's... I've been rocking my mangird teas since last year, and they pair amazingly with the mojo. I'd say they are mid-chi-fi tier, and I would like to jump to the Hi-Fi tier. (IERZ1R's, Mest, Valkyrie, etc.) The issue with this is that in the end... In "my market" Hi-Fi means paying about double the usual amount for headphones; and sending them back... Well usually costs as much as ordering them, haha. This said I don't really have a lot of space to try and send back...

I know it's possibly a very complicated question to answer and completely dependent on one's taste, but what are those High-end IEM's that pair greatly with the Mojo?

I'm someone who is "sensitive" to high frequencies**

Aug 2, 2021 at 6:10 PM Post #41,711 of 42,765
Not entirely sure of what to make of that, haha... I know I'm asking for a lot here, But I'm curious of some of your experiences... I still feel pretty much a newbie in the game :ksc75smile:
means, me too.

Aug 2, 2021 at 6:42 PM Post #41,712 of 42,765
Curious myself.
As i'd rate my FD5 higher on my "music-pleasure-scale" than my D9200 with the Mojo, it's gonna be a surprise what's next. ^^
(pls don't hit me for that statement :) )

Even with this "bargain" single dd the Mojo is great match.
Much better than BTR5 or V30.
Didn't hung it on to my R28 yet.

Aug 2, 2021 at 7:23 PM Post #41,713 of 42,765
Hi everybody! So I've been on the fence about my next step in IEM's... I've been rocking my mangird teas since last year, and they pair amazingly with the mojo. I'd say they are mid-chi-fi tier, and I would like to jump to the Hi-Fi tier. (IERZ1R's, Mest, Valkyrie, etc.) The issue with this is that in the end... In "my market" Hi-Fi means paying about double the usual amount for headphones; and sending them back... Well usually costs as much as ordering them, haha. This said I don't really have a lot of space to try and send back...

I know it's possibly a very complicated question to answer and completely dependent on one's taste, but what are those High-end IEM's that pair greatly with the Mojo?

I'm someone who is "sensitive" to high frequencies**

I recently got the Mojo/Poly and been using it with MEST CIEM and Viento CIEM amongst other in-ears. If you're sensitive to highs, check out the Sony IER-M9 maybe? Or the U12T, although that has a peak at around 16KHz, which for many may not be audible anyway. IER-Z1R has bright-ish treble, and may be worse if you have small ears like me, where the insertion depth really makes it bright due to its large size. Valkyrie, has bright highs too, but makes up for it with big bass (V-shape).

Aug 2, 2021 at 11:22 PM Post #41,714 of 42,765
I recently got the Mojo/Poly and been using it with MEST CIEM and Viento CIEM amongst other in-ears. If you're sensitive to highs, check out the Sony IER-M9 maybe? Or the U12T, although that has a peak at around 16KHz, which for many may not be audible anyway. IER-Z1R has bright-ish treble, and may be worse if you have small ears like me, where the insertion depth really makes it bright due to its large size. Valkyrie, has bright highs too, but makes up for it with big bass (V-shape).
That IER-M9 has an interesting price... Yeah, I am a Sony fanboy, but I've heard that the IER-Z1R has a big spike in the treble. A 1700 USD error would hurt... The U12T... That is near to the no-go zone in terms of pricing but, those reviews on the U12T make it sound like a no brainer...

What are your thoughts on the IER-M9?
Curious myself.
As i'd rate my FD5 higher on my "music-pleasure-scale" than my D9200 with the Mojo, it's gonna be a surprise what's next. ^^
(pls don't hit me for that statement :) )

Even with this "bargain" single dd the Mojo is great match.
Much better than BTR5 or V30.
Didn't hung it on to my R28 yet.
Been thinking about those single DD's... IE 900 might be another competitor there... but for that price... maybe FD5 is kickass

Aug 3, 2021 at 12:22 AM Post #41,715 of 42,765
That IER-M9 has an interesting price... Yeah, I am a Sony fanboy, but I've heard that the IER-Z1R has a big spike in the treble. A 1700 USD error would hurt... The U12T... That is near to the no-go zone in terms of pricing but, those reviews on the U12T make it sound like a no brainer...

What are your thoughts on the IER-M9?

Been thinking about those single DD's... IE 900 might be another competitor there... but for that price... maybe FD5 is kickass
The M9 is one of my favorite under $1K. Its an easy, non-fatiguing listen. I wrote a full review of it here: https://www.audiodiscourse.com/2020/09/sony-ier-m9-review.html

I dont own one though, and I explain why in the review. (it's because I own a similar CIEM in the Viento)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back