Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Oct 1, 2017 at 7:46 PM Post #33,961 of 42,765
Well, I actually ended up getting an Oppo UDP-205. The step from Mojo to UDP-205 is bigger to my ears and is up rather than sideways.

It must be a big improvement to the Oppo bdp 105d, whose dac I don't rate over that of the Mojo...i'd be interested in hearing others' perspectives of the UDP-205, as this would possibly be a more cost-effective and widely useful upgrade, than a new dac/headphone amp alone, for those wishing to spread their Mojo wings...

PS thanks for the heads-up for that breeze audio usb-to-optical converter, @Hooster; I bought one, and do really like the difference it makes...

Oct 2, 2017 at 1:41 AM Post #33,963 of 42,765
Thanks for the feedback. The Breeze is great and a great value.

I believe that the upd-205"s dac is far superior to previous Oppo dacs.

Going off-topic here, but are you using powered speakers with the 205, or do you have a power amp connected to it? UDP-205 is on my list when I'm upgrading my home theater at some point, and I was wondering if it makes sense to connect eg. Schiit Vidar to the 205, and drive passive speakers, like Elac Uni-Fis or Adantes with the system? We can continue the discussion via PM if its too distracting for the topic.

Oct 2, 2017 at 2:44 AM Post #33,965 of 42,765
Is the Mojo really considered to have a warm signature? Planning to pair it with my tube amp. Worried about this being too bassy or muddy.

Sounds pretty good through my woo audio WA2, so I would say, not particularly. But then that's with my Beyers Dt 1770 pros, which need something to take their edge off... Combo works really well. It might help to know what you're trying to drive, as this will have more effect on the final sound imho...

Oct 2, 2017 at 2:47 AM Post #33,966 of 42,765
Sounds pretty good through my woo audio WA2, so I would say, not particularly. But then that's with my Beyers Dt 1770 pros, which need something to take their edge off... Combo works really well. It might help to know what you're trying to drive, as this will have more effect on the final sound imho...

Thanks for the response.

Plan to use the Chord Mojo as DAC to my Darkvoice 336SE and use Sennheiser HD6XX. I do adminy that I prefer strong bass and a warm signature. I just don’t want too much. :)

Oct 2, 2017 at 4:00 AM Post #33,967 of 42,765
Thanks for the response.

Plan to use the Chord Mojo as DAC to my Darkvoice 336SE and use Sennheiser HD6XX. I do adminy that I prefer strong bass and a warm signature. I just don’t want too much. :)

Yep I've not heard the darkvoice but those around here seem to rate it highly...i also have sennheiser HD600's (and used to have sennheiser hd800s) and the setup described above works well for them, too... Better for hd800s than hd600's though imho, as the treble's not at all bright in the 600's.

You might find your proposed setup a bit polite with 600's and 650's for your described tastes, as I find them slightly on the darker side of neutral sounding 'phones...i use my Beyers when I want to listen to EDM or rock (or when I need to Listen to closed phones as I don't want to disturb others in the house), and sennies hd600's through the same setup when I want a change from my Ethers... But Ethers mostly, through Mojo alone, for everything other than EDM and rock.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2017 at 4:12 AM Post #33,968 of 42,765
Yep I've not heard the darkvoice but those around here seem to rate it highly...i also have sennheiser HD600's (and used to have sennheiser hd800s) and the setup described above works well for them, too... Better for hd800s than hd600's though imho, as the treble's not at all bright in the 600's.

You might find your proposed setup a bit polite with 600's and 650's for your described tastes, as I find them slightly on the darker side of neutral sounding 'phones...i use my Beyers when I want to listen to EDM or rock (or when I need to Listen to closed phones as I don't want to disturb others in the house), and sennies hd600's through the same setup when I want a change from my Ethers... But Ethers mostly, through Mojo alone, for everything other than EDM and rock.

Hope to be corrected by people here. I heard the Darkvoice 336se is a poor man’s Woo haha! I’m guessing a Mojo and the Darkvoice will pair well enough with a warmer hd650? Currently use a Dragonfly Red. Well i’ll find out tomorrow. I’m borrowing my dad’s mojo.

Oct 2, 2017 at 4:45 AM Post #33,969 of 42,765
Hope to be corrected by people here. I heard the Darkvoice 336se is a poor man’s Woo haha! I’m guessing a Mojo and the Darkvoice will pair well enough with a warmer hd650? Currently use a Dragonfly Red. Well i’ll find out tomorrow. I’m borrowing my dad’s mojo.

I think the WA2 may be the poor man's woo... It's a lot cheaper than their more esoteric gear, and really good sound for the money, but it can't play my Ethers, as it can't handle their low impedance (or any low impedance phones)...

Report back with your impressions of your setup... I'd be interested to hear them :)

Oct 2, 2017 at 6:11 AM Post #33,970 of 42,765
i tried mojo with my phone and pc via usb input.

i wasnt impressed.

just today, i tried sound blaster e5 optical output to mojo.

it sounded very colorful but in a good way.

sound blaster e5 alone has very weird sound stage and low resolution.

i think a good source is more beneficial to mojo than an amp.

Oct 2, 2017 at 7:37 AM Post #33,971 of 42,765
Mojo into HD 650 is superb from Huawei P10 using OTG and Onkyo player.

Now playing: The Beta Band - Dogs Got a Bone

Oct 2, 2017 at 1:22 PM Post #33,973 of 42,765
I'm currently using Fiio A5 as an portable amp with L3-LOD, iPod Classic 160 GB and Sennheiser HD 650 (and sometimes with IE800). Would the Chord Mojo be a worthy upgrade compared to A5? I read somewhere on this thread that you can't use the DAC with iPod Classic so is worth getting but only using it as an amp?
I went from a Fiio E12A (not too dissimilar to an A5), and it was like day and night. Keep in mind that the A5 is just an amp, and the Mojo is a magic DAC which will improve your sound the most.

Oct 2, 2017 at 2:02 PM Post #33,974 of 42,765
Just for anyone looking to buy cables, I purchased some coax cables for my Mojo from flashbacksales in UK. There didn't seem to be a great deal of options for BNC > 3.5mm (from Naim ND5xs to mojo) & also from Fiio X3ii to mojo but flashback were most helpful in getting me sorted...

IMG_20170916_131055_1_zpsj25pyo5s.jpg

IMG_20170916_124711_zpsocs7yoyx.jpg

IMG_20170916_130729_zpsq4jw4nfy.jpg

Hope this helps - cheers!

Oct 2, 2017 at 2:49 PM Post #33,975 of 42,765

Users who are viewing this thread

Back