Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Sep 30, 2017 at 4:49 PM Post #33,946 of 42,765
The Mojo will send out as many V as you tell it to by adjusting the volume. There is really no line out "mode". Both outputs are connected together so will send out the same volume.

Yes, but the volume shortcut known as "line out" (holding down both volume buttons when turning Mojo on) will set the volume to 3V (not 4V) output. This will not be remembered by Mojo when you turn it off and on again, unless you have changed the volume manually. 4 clicks down from line out will give you 1.9V, and I think 2 clicks up will give you about 4V, if that's what you need.

Sep 30, 2017 at 5:07 PM Post #33,947 of 42,765
How much you send out depends on input sensitivity of the Amp, gain, and headphone sensitivity. It works as a preamp, but like a digitally volume adjustable DAC. Dedicated DACs typically are not meant to be driving transducer directly, and hence output impedance is greater than ideal(which Mojo is close to nil so you can drive wider range of impedance of transducers out of it directly which is the most reasonable reason for getting one). Think of as a DAC and like stated above, voltage gets adjusted by volume, and I personally find that the signal output seems clean for the built in amp for my JBL 305 monitors(and my outlook for using it as powered speaker DAC is quite high, notice I only said this for speakers) Great match. I've tried others and Mojo sounds most linear to my ears out of the 305s.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2017 at 6:09 PM Post #33,949 of 42,765
I have S8, and S8 does recognize the Mojo as an audio device, however, no apps except Usb Audio player pro outputs audio to the Mojon and you must set it to output audio via usb through the usb audio player pro settings.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2017 at 10:11 AM Post #33,952 of 42,765
Quick comparison of DAC preamp output of Mojo(with Hugo 2 mixed in) vs Questyle CMA600i:

When driving full sized headphone M1060 planars, the 600i has more refinement as does the Hugo 2(which I have recently tried). 600i tend to sounded a bit warm with wide stage presentation compared to the Hugo 2. 600i has more of a laid back treble charactersitics compared to the Hugo 2, and also the Mojo. If you have the 800 or 800s, 600i should help in supressing the peaks in the lower treble region as it is laid back, and especially it's sibilant characteristics. Although 600i sounds more detailed as does the Hugo 2 than the Mojo, it has a bit of a treble texturing that creates a slight faux detailing. It's not the most resolving source I've tried for this reason. Compared to the Hugo 2, it does present a warmer sig, and given it suppresses some peakiness may come off as a tube like presentation in sig although it is solid stage DAC/Amp. In terms of detailing, the definition of both the 600i and Hugo 2 is better, but Hugo 2 can be the most transparent which may not bide well at the output with peaky tracks, and therefore I prefer the 600i than the Hugo 2. 600i comes very close to the Hugo 2 for being less than half the price, but downside is that it is not portable like the Hugo 2 or the Mojo.

I would recommend giving M1060 a try as it does scale with better sources.

Mojo, although lacks a bit on the definition and resolution of sound compared to the other two, interestingly sounds very good out of my studio monitor speakers. I have not tested the Hugo 2 yet with the 305 monitors though. What Mojo does well is punchiness and tightness and how well it controls the planar drivers of the M1060, but with this, it has a more of a forward and aggressive characteristic.

Lesson here is that although 600i better than Mojo for headphones, not for my studio monitors(JBL 305). For some reason, the dynamics and definition is lost using the powered speakers as output. As I've said in the past, out of any DAP/portable DAC/Amp, Mojo has provided the cleanest output to my JBL 305 powered speakers. So, just because a source does well for headphones, doesn't mean, it will equally perform well for speakers. Just to add, I've used balanced output of 600i and headphone out of Mojo. This is also a lesson that balanced does not mean better.

This was quite counter intuitive experience as I hear punchy bass out of the M1060 planars, but not my JBL 305, do I take it that planars are driven better with 600i, but not really for dynamic speakers.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2017 at 1:59 PM Post #33,954 of 42,765
I have not tested the Hugo 2 yet with the 305 monitors though.

How the Hugo 2 compares to the Mojo with speakers is the main thing I'm curious about.

If you still have your hands on it, I'd be very interested in your impressions! Be sure to test all types of music.

I don't recall how well you have the monitors set up in your room or even if you're using full-size stands. I did lots of experimenting with the positioning of the LSR305s when I had the 2Qute and Mojo. It's worth the trouble since you can get significantly better sound with the right room setup.

(Ironically, my floorstanding speakers seem to be less sensitive to this. I noticed that I had less problems with room acoustics in general with them despite how much larger and more complex they are.)

Lesson here is that although 600i better than Mojo for headphones, not for my studio monitors(JBL 305). For some reason, the dynamics and definition is lost using the powered speakers as output.

Do you think it's because the 600i's electronics are interfering with the signal even though it can function as a line level preamplifier? I noticed that my Schiit SYS passive preamp sounded better than using conventional amps (such as the ones in the iFi micro iDSD and Schiit Fulla 2 DAC/amps) as preamps. (And naturally, the Mojo doesn't have that problem either.)

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2017 at 3:49 PM Post #33,955 of 42,765
It's done by the DPLL - and this creates a new word clock, synchronous to the ultra low jitter local clock. Internally, the data has a micro buffer, so data is clocked out by the DPLL created word clock.

The DPLL module is identical for Mojo right up to Dave. Use of this system completely eliminates incoming source jitter; indeed, I can add 2uS of source jitter, and it makes zero measurable difference.

Hi Rob, thanks for the answers. I was perhaps confused since I read that Mojo did not use the same USB clocking as the Hugo - perhaps there is a difference? I would have some more questions regarding the DSD engine for a small experiment that I'm doing using some studio mastered material, perhaps could I contact you directly?

Just to not let my original comment in the air, John Atkinson has shown some clear jitter signals on the Mojo. Is that somehow particular to the Toslink input? Care to ellaborate?

Oct 1, 2017 at 3:59 PM Post #33,956 of 42,765
Lesson here is that although 600i better than Mojo for headphones, not for my studio monitors(JBL 305). For some reason, the dynamics and definition is lost using the powered speakers as output. As I've said in the past, out of any DAP/portable DAC/Amp, Mojo has provided the cleanest output to my JBL 305 powered speakers. So, just because a source does well for headphones, doesn't mean, it will equally perform well for speakers. Just to add, I've used balanced output of 600i and headphone out of Mojo. This is also a lesson that balanced does not mean better.

Your post is fascinating to me. A couple of days ago I came close to replacing my Mojo with a 600i.I used the Mojo directly into a power amplifier, which is close to using it directly into monitors. Well, I actually ended up getting an Oppo UDP-205. I am truly delighted, what a gloriously well engineered piece of equipment. To me it's DAC is almost night and day better than the Mojo. It even makes music from youtube sound fascinating and fun to listen to. Oh, and it also plays DVDs, SACDs and Blu Rays beautifully. I am glad I did not get the 600i.

I have said this before, but now I say it with more conviction, my days of upgrading are over for a while. I came to Mojo from an Oppo HA-1. I felt that the Mojo had incrementally better sound quality than the HA-1, slightly better and also sideways, towards a more analogue, warm kind of presentation. The step from Mojo to UDP-205 is bigger to my ears and is up rather than sideways.

Finally, I have been considering a Hugo2. I have finally crossed that off my list. The reasons are in order of importance, value for money, a battery that who knows when will need replacing and quirky ergonomics.

Thanks, Chord for making the Mojo. Owning it was fun.

Oct 1, 2017 at 4:10 PM Post #33,957 of 42,765
hi hooster

i don't understand how the oppo doubles as bluray player//headphone system. i do have 4k/hdr tv but not that much into movies i'm more music. would the bluray function be wasted and if i use roon/tidal how to set up? many thanks

Oct 1, 2017 at 4:59 PM Post #33,958 of 42,765
hi hooster

i don't understand how the oppo doubles as bluray player//headphone system. i do have 4k/hdr tv but not that much into movies i'm more music. would the bluray function be wasted and if i use roon/tidal how to set up? many thanks

I have not tried the Oppo with headphones yet, but it is great with my speakers. I use it with an external XMOS decoder to the so spdif coax and it is just plug and play.

Even if you don't use blu ray it is well worth it. The picture quality from streaming video like Netflix is for example amazing. I suspect that the Oppo would be worth the price, even if it was just a dac. The sound is just lovely.

Oct 1, 2017 at 6:28 PM Post #33,959 of 42,765
Finally, I have been considering a Hugo2. I have finally crossed that off my list. The reasons are in order of importance, value for money, a battery that who knows when will need replacing and quirky ergonomics.

Thanks, Chord for making the Mojo. Owning it was fun.
For the money, I wouldn't bother with Hugo 2, wait until it drops in value once the hype dies down like how Hugo 1 has suffered, and this is the case with lots of gears here. I didn't find it amazing to warrant the price point.

UDP-202 is more than twice the price of Mojo, and does it perform well for the practicality of the audience here in headfi for earphones?

I do like that it has myriads of functionalities, but at that price point, it should pretty much be expected if you look around. For AV functional purposes, it makes sense, but I take your word that it performs well for speakers. I will have to get a hand on one since I need a top 4k uhd device, and if it function quite well for speakers/headphones, it pretty much hit the bird with more than one stone.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2017 at 6:44 PM Post #33,960 of 42,765
Do you think it's because the 600i's electronics are interfering with the signal even though it can function as a line level preamplifier? I noticed that my Schiit SYS passive preamp sounded better than using conventional amps (such as the ones in the iFi micro iDSD and Schiit Fulla 2 DAC/amps) as preamps. (And naturally, the Mojo doesn't have that problem either.)
Well, SYS is for dropping the line-level voltage to the amp passively, which functions pretty much like a volume knob infront of the amp section of an amp. I have no idea what is causing the differences in output for various devices I've tried as preamp, but for sure Mojo has worked out well with the powered speakers.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back