Chord Hugo
Jan 2, 2015 at 7:13 AM Post #9,166 of 15,694
they are one of the same, the DAC is the amp & vice versa, they're co-joined, hth.

see how helpful I am to lazy Head-fi'ers, sometimes I think I am worthy of a sainthood...
wink_face.gif

Jan 2, 2015 at 7:39 AM Post #9,167 of 15,694
  Excuse my laziness, I knew someone must have mentioned the SQ of Hugo's amp before but this is a long thread
tongue.gif
. So... my question is: Is the amp section of the Hugo as brilliant as the DAC section or not of the same level?

The DAC is exceptional especially given the size. Not sure you could get the same kind of performance ratio out of an amp section given the size. I think the new Hugo TT is attempting to address this with I believe a reworked analog section and big capacity and better caps?? But then it is larger so gain performance & functionality while giving up portability.

Jan 2, 2015 at 8:34 AM Post #9,168 of 15,694
  Hugo vs iDSD?
What do you guys think?

Very close I'll say. iDSD wins in value for money. I did end up keeping the Hugo,  but if I had to live with the iDSD alone I wouldn't complain or miss the Hugo.

Jan 2, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #9,171 of 15,694
I have conducted some recent tests of the Hugo vs. Russian BMP-1 Tank:

Hugo is much quieter: The tank makes a noticeable rumbling sound as it approaches. Using a high quality cable on the tank does quiet it somewhat, but there is still considerable jitter when the machine gun is fired. 

Hugo has slightly better WAF (wife acceptance factor). The tank is difficult to hide in my living room and my wife complained the 73mm cannon protruded into the kitchen. The tracks also made a mess of our carpet; do not try and turn the tank when it is in your house. 

Hugo is more versatile: The BMP-1 is limited to close proximity musical warfare and will process only 73mm anti-tank shells or 7.6mm machine gun rounds. Hugo is able to process close proximity music in all formats.

Hugo is more portable. The BMP-1, while portable, is more difficult to conceal in your garage.

Neighborhood acceptance: This one is hard to decide. Turning the Hugo's volume control into the blue zone did not seem to bother the neighbors, as long as I used it with noise-cancelling headphones. Initially, the tank did yield complaints from neighbors; though those complaints quickly subsided when the cannon was pointed in the general direction of the complainant.

Jan 2, 2015 at 4:36 PM Post #9,172 of 15,694
I just got the black hugo with its custom black hugo carry case, very smart holder. It matches my black iPhone 6 plus. Course it's the sound stage that's most impressive. Using stock stuff for now with camera USB adapter to 7 pin. Nice pairing with the 846, happy to be one of the clan.:wink:

So I take it that the SE846 plug fits into the Hugo's 3.5" jack(s). (Right?) And what about the IE 800? (Sorry if that's already been answered!)

Jan 2, 2015 at 5:01 PM Post #9,173 of 15,694
So I take it that the SE846 plug fits into the Hugo's 3.5" jack(s). (Right?) And what about the IE 800? (Sorry if that's already been answered!)
Both fit fine, the SE846 is more 'snug' though if you like a 'flush' fit :)

Jan 2, 2015 at 5:40 PM Post #9,174 of 15,694
Thanks, Duncan!
smile.gif

Jan 2, 2015 at 7:37 PM Post #9,175 of 15,694

Was it with speakers though? The people who have not been quite as impressed by the Hugo in comparison with full-sized DACs both were using speakers.

Anyhow, a nice little New Year's story: I was browsing in a bookstore here killing time before a family lunch when I found that this month's copy of Stereo magazine here in Japan included a USB noise isolator. I hadn't gotten around to buying the Wyrd to try with the Hugo's USB so I bought it and decided to give it a run. I'm powering it using an Aurorasound USB Bus Power Pro and while it isn't dramatic, the sound does seem to be a tad smoother and more pleasant compared to using a cable direct to the Hugo itself. At some point I'll try and compare it to the Audiophilleo 1, but it seems I'll be able to re-assign the AP1 to a different DAC.

I think most people with desktop setup, use Hugo as DAC only. Hence, either setup such as Hugo (DAC) -> Integrated Amp. -> Speaker or Hugo (DAC) -> Pre Amp -> Power Amp -> Speaker. These setup I think does not fully maximize Hugo capability. I prefer Hugo to be setup such as Hugo (as DAC/Preamp) -> Power Amp -> Speaker. Basically setting up Hugo without unnecessary additional chain.

Jan 2, 2015 at 7:49 PM Post #9,176 of 15,694
@FortisFlyer75 Hi Fortis, Happy New Year and all that!... - been sat outside of the portable Hugo thread, as I know I've got several posts to reply to - one of yours included from a couple of weeks back - will be brave enough to go back in there soon
smily_headphones1.gif

Re your 'issue', sounds like latency to me, what CPU do you have in your PC? - also, you mentioned Sony Media Go / WMP - did you have the same effect on (if you have this installed) foobar? - There are various tweaks in there for improving latency issues (increasing buffer size), and it will also allow you to use the native Hugo USB driver as WASAPI

Welcome to 2015 Duncan, Don't worry, I just posted more in last 24 hours than I have in last three months! (which is not saying a lot really) Why did someone drop a hand grenade in the Portable thread then!? 

Knew I should of referred to you on my laptop issue... Intel i5 -3317U CPU @ 1.70GHZ, RAM - 4GB (only!)  MS O/S 64bit 

Just opening up a few tabs on Chrome cripples this hunk of junk as memory usage hits the roof.  HP laptop which is worse than my old Envy it replaced, never had any multitask problems with old Envy which had less RAM & older Dual core processor although it was dedicated graphics.  

Never used Foobar, apart from WMP & Media Go its only ever been DBPowerAmp which is not currently installed. Not had the problem at all until now, but admit have not had time to try and replicate it today if it is still doing it. 

So from that info would that fit what you described then?  Anyway's I might have to pm you on this as don't want to de-rail thread going through a 100 point plan on how to smash up my laptop with a hammer!  I was really getting into my Session with the Hugo when it freaked out with the electronic bursts of warped glitching. 
  Was it with speakers though? The people who have not been quite as impressed by the Hugo in comparison with full-sized DACs both were using speakers.

Anyhow, a nice little New Year's story: I was browsing in a bookstore here killing time before a family lunch when I found that this month's copy of Stereo magazine here in Japan included a USB noise isolator. I hadn't gotten around to buying the Wyrd to try with the Hugo's USB so I bought it and decided to give it a run. I'm powering it using an Aurorasound USB Bus Power Pro and while it isn't dramatic, the sound does seem to be a tad smoother and more pleasant compared to using a cable direct to the Hugo itself. At some point I'll try and compare it to the Audiophilleo 1, but it seems I'll be able to re-assign the AP1 to a different DAC.

What would the reason be for moving the AP1 to another DAC in favour of the USB noise insolater you purchased and the Bus Power Pro, Is it due to improved performance over the AP1 or just prefer the pairing how it sounds more with the other set up?  Only found out about gizmos like AP1's yesterday so not aware of how many other alternative producers there in these field of routing out jitters for the Hugo.  

I have conducted some recent tests of the Hugo vs. Russian BMP-1 Tank:

Hugo is much quieter: The tank makes a noticeable rumbling sound as it approaches. Using a high quality cable on the tank does quiet it somewhat, but there is still considerable jitter when the machine gun is fired. 

Hugo has slightly better WAF (wife acceptance factor). The tank is difficult to hide in my living room and my wife complained the 73mm cannon protruded into the kitchen. The tracks also made a mess of our carpet; do not try and turn the tank when it is in your house. 

Hugo is more versatile: The BMP-1 is limited to close proximity musical warfare and will process only 73mm anti-tank shells or 7.6mm machine gun rounds. Hugo is able to process close proximity music in all formats.

Hugo is more portable. The BMP-1, while portable, is more difficult to conceal in your garage.

Neighborhood acceptance: This one is hard to decide. Turning the Hugo's volume control into the blue zone did not seem to bother the neighbors, as long as I used it with noise-cancelling headphones. Initially, the tank did yield complaints from neighbors; though those complaints quickly subsided when the cannon was pointed in the general direction of the complainant.7

Very Observant review... there just not enough comparisons on Head-fi vs the BMP-1 in a straight "shoot out"

There are still potentially other issues that have yet to be taken into consideration;

The Hugo only has approx a 7 hour range (under heavy load) whilst the BMP-1's has a 300 mile range under heavy duress (off road) at 30 mph has a longer range than the Hugo. 

Yet the Hugo can go into London where the BMP-1 is not permitted and is exempt due to not meeting the low emission zone. Which also means the Hugo is more friendly to the environment as it leaves a smaller carbon footprint.  

The Hugo is less prone to breaking down unlike the BMP-1 now been 50 years old design.  The BMP-1 needs three people to operate it where the Hugo only needs one.

Running cost, although the Hugo will need an initial outlay for a leather case, High end cables and possibly another device filter to further help reduce bugs from invading the Hugo and would have a low yearly energy bill thanks to it's 5V regulated power supply, it will not need yearly servicing and replacement wearable parts like the BMP-1 and not to mention the yearly Diesel cost's even though the BMP-1 would be exempt from road tax as it is classed as a classic vehicle now. 

It's a tight call, but I think the Hugo just still edges it overall been more balanced, refined and user friendly although both have their positives & negatives I would use the Hugo for a serious session and the BMP-1 for fun. 

I am in not in anyway officially affiliated or work for either Chord or Kurgan Engineering Works. All opinions in there above are solely mine and do not reflect the thoughts of others. 

No doubt we will get the BMP-1 fan boys standing up for the tank now.  

Jan 2, 2015 at 7:59 PM Post #9,177 of 15,694

Hugo v Russian Tank...
bigsmile_face.gif

Apparently Mr-T has signed up after been released by Snickers and will now take part in a sarcastic blow back at Snickers for releasing him by doing an advert sitting in the turret of the tank shouting "Get Some Hugo's-  whilst throwing one at a weak minded geek who still used a a Nokia 95 for his music whist wearing a pair of Beats

Jan 2, 2015 at 8:21 PM Post #9,178 of 15,694

What would the reason be for moving the AP1 to another DAC in favour of the USB noise insolater you purchased and the Bus Power Pro, Is it due to improved performance over the AP1 or just prefer the pairing how it sounds more with the other set up?  Only found out about gizmos like AP1's yesterday so not aware of how many other alternative producers there in these field of routing out jitters for the Hugo.  

After all the playing around I've done and everything Rob Watts has posted, I think the issue is noise coming through the USB connection and not jitter. I was using the AP1, which really only is great with the Pure Power, because it was the proverbial "icing on the cake" sound-wise compared to direct USB. I'm willing to bet this was purely because of noise isolation. I was very happy listening last night with the Bus Power Pro/Emilai isolator set-up. I'm going to give more of a listen and see if I feel the same way and see if I can't compare it to the optical input. 

Jan 2, 2015 at 8:39 PM Post #9,180 of 15,694
  The DAC is exceptional especially given the size. Not sure you could get the same kind of performance ratio out of an amp section given the size. I think the new Hugo TT is attempting to address this with I believe a reworked analog section and big capacity and better caps?? But then it is larger so gain performance & functionality while giving up portability.

I guess the TT would be the next big thing... I believe bulky sized audio components will be replaced by powerful small-size gadgets in the near future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back