Chord Hugo
Jan 1, 2015 at 7:39 PM Post #9,151 of 15,694
  Audiostream also did a small USB cable shootout: http://www.audiostream.com/content/usb-cable-shootout. Interestingly enough they chose the Synergistic Cable as having the best synergy with the MSB Analog DAC which some have compared to the Hugo. If it makes sense at all, I also actually think the SR has a similar "analog" sound signature.

I'm also interested in hearing about the Metagenome cable as I really like DHC and I thought their USB cable had amazing aesthetics. But, as you said, it's got to be heard. 

In your price range, I would easily go for the AudioSensibility Statement cable--easily. It is fluid and transparent (definitely, all the high end cables were). It was the best bargain of the group as it was of the same quality as the others for a fraction of of the price. In the same price range, personally, I find the Wireworld offerings are "harsh and bright." Again, personally, I didn't like the Lightspeed at all for the Hugo, esp. for $1K.

Also, FYI Steven at AudioSensibility offers a 30day money back guarantee, so you can hear it for yourself. Just a word of caution, after the Hugo, which is a something of a "bargain," these pricey enhancements are not going to yield the same ratio of cost to SQ. You are paying quite a bit to gain and fine tune the last 5-20%. I say that because I've found a sort or "audiophile linearity phenomenon," i.e., once you hear it you can only go forward, you can't go back! Apologies for starting off 2015 leaking £££'s, from one who leaked his own $$$'s in 2014.  

Cheers, looks like I've plenty of reading to do tomorrow then! 

I had DHC cable do me a custom made cable for my old AKG702's back in the day when he had not been going too long and the quality was second to none with the build with really close eye to detail not to mention also how patient he was with back & forth discussions on the type of cable, materials and aesthetic design. It took my 702 sound to another level to the stock and regretted letting it go for just the cable alone!  And from what I see a few years on, the quality is still there so will be on the long term high end short list of USB cables for sure.  

Iv'e not been to impressed with Wireworld cables to much, had their mains power Electra's, Silver+ HDMI's and tried some of their analog ic's.  I know their actual mains cable (Electra 52 gold)  they use is actually quite good but is let down by the quality of the way the plugs are done which negates the whole objective of improving performance (the irony is almost lost on me).  Also it does seem to me for some of the big well known mainstream hi-fi cable manufacturers to make cables sound harsh and bright like it is a fashion statement to have top end systems sounding like this is good.  Surprises me more as Wireworld is USA manufacturer and I thought it was just the UK company's going this route.  This is why I love my Chord Indigo cables as they do not sound like that and have a  balanced, open, articulated presentation with just have a touch of warmth with non harsh top end but same time they are expensive and to fit my Indigo digital coax into the Hugo for example I now need to send back to them to re-terminate plugs to fit!  Such is life : )

Yes, I'm a veteran of the diminishing returns for price to performance ratio with my speaker Hi-Fi down the years.  A lot of Chord ic's add's up to a good second system alone! 
It is amazing how much that extra last 5-20% makes to a set up.  I never thought mains cables would make a difference especially after a bad first time experience with some fairly expensive ones from 1st gen Chord mains cables (although I love their Indigo's/Signature cables) these were awful!
    ....But got rejuvenated recently by some that didn't cost the earth custom parts picked by me and made by someone else as I'm not clever, more dangerous with electrics and soldering!) and could not believe how much difference they make in my Hi-FI set up.  

When done wrong I can see why "snakeoil" tag is thrown around, if done right it is noticeable with enough difference to justify the smaller % performance gained to higher price outlay. 
So... experience has taught me a good cable half the price will out perform a bad cable costing twice as much...why it is such a long painful journey sometimes for little return but the pain is fun at the same time!?  

So comes back around to hearing them is proof in the pudding for exception of it is harder with the boutique ones found around these parts but getting to my point of as I've decided I will use my laptop a lot now to listen to the Hugo with I would be prepared to go higher end of the cost scale if there is another 10% to be had. Just right now it will probably have to be around the £200 limit which I am sure there are plenty out there that would bring a smile to my face over a stock usb. 

The leaking £££'s not for the USB cable as I thought at some stage I might have to spend a bit on a USB cable for the Hugo but the Audiophilleo converter thing? If that is a viable partner that will improve things further paired with the Hugo later on then that is the £££'s I did not see coming.  Like a Hugo crash waiting to happen! ... Do you own a Philleo yourself or just heard it?  

Good to hear Audio Sensibility do the 30 day thing, maybe that's were they get the "Sensibility" in their name?  

Anyway, although talk about cables this will go towards finding a good partner to bridge the laptop to the Hugo for some serious listening and ween me away from my ZX1-> Hugo partnership for HP sessions.  

Jan 1, 2015 at 8:04 PM Post #9,152 of 15,694
  I am torn between Chord Hugo, HDVD 600, and HDVD 800.  I am hoping for a decent setup with my incoming HD800.  I read on the thread that Hugo does very well with HD800, but it sounds like HDVD 600 and 800 also work very well.  I don't think I would have as much of a hard time deciding if I don't also have an incoming AK120II which I could potentially use as a DAC with the HDVD 600 and 800 (if the AK DAC sounds better).  Would it be smarter to start with a Hugo only or a HDVD 600/800 and use my AK120II as an DAC?  Once I make the purchase, I don't foresee myself having the cash to upgrade for a while...  Decisions..... 

Dilemma!  I can only add the two Senn amp and dac/amp combo were designed to pair with their own HD800 really well and have heard them both together last year sometime and sounded good although I admire the sound the HD800 is personally not for me,  but some where last couple/few days I read someone was now using their HDVD800 as just an amp section with the Hugo as the Hugo DAC trumped the Senn DAC.  Hopefully that person might see this and can enlighten you on what I read.  Might of been also in the portable discussion Hugo thread?

Whether your incoming AK120 DAC will compete with Hugo's Dac is another story best left for someone that can compare but my money would be on the Hugo? Paddy Power...

Yes, if someone who does not have relevant experience of that gear to help you and you had to make a call it would be hard as you won't know either way without buying them all! 

Your getting the Ak120 which has a DAC anyway, can you not try out somewhere either a Hugo or HDVD 600/800 when your AK arrives with your HD800's?  I would be interested myself to hear the Hugo DAC through the Senn Amp section.  Or get the HDVD800 for now which will sound good anyway I would of guessed with the AK & HD800's and if not satisfied try or get the Hugo later this would sound like the more tidy logistical costing approach if you don't get to hear them for yourself?

Jan 1, 2015 at 8:36 PM Post #9,153 of 15,694
  Dilemma!  I can only add the two Senn amp and dac/amp combo were designed to pair with their own HD800 really well and have heard them both together last year sometime and sounded good although I admire the sound the HD800 is personally not for me,  but some where last couple/few days I read someone was now using their HDVD800 as just an amp section with the Hugo as the Hugo DAC trumped the Senn DAC.  Hopefully that person might see this and can enlighten you on what I read.  Might of been also in the portable discussion Hugo thread?

Whether your incoming AK120 DAC will compete with Hugo's Dac is another story best left for someone that can compare but my money would be on the Hugo? Paddy Power...

Yes, if someone who does not have relevant experience of that gear to help you and you had to make a call it would be hard as you won't know either way without buying them all! 

Your getting the Ak120 which has a DAC anyway, can you not try out somewhere either a Hugo or HDVD 600/800 when your AK arrives with your HD800's?  I would be interested myself to hear the Hugo DAC through the Senn Amp section.  Or get the HDVD800 for now which will sound good anyway I would of guessed with the AK & HD800's and if not satisfied try or get the Hugo later this would sound like the more tidy logistical costing approach if you don't get to hear them for yourself?

Thank you for taking the time to reply with your logical insight.  Part of the difficulty in my decision (and also part of the fun as well) is the fact that nothing is absolutely perfect.  As you mentioned, I did read that HDVD with Hugo as the DAC is a quite nice match.  I think that would be the ultimate setup for me solely based on the experiences of others.  However, I can only make one purchase between the Hugo and HDVD 600 or 800.  

It's hard for me to imagine that AK120II's DAC is on par with Hugo based on all its rave reviews.  I think if the Hugo's amp is able to drive HD800 as well as the HDVD models, notwithstanding the power differences and maximum volume levels, then the Hugo is a no brainer.  It's hard to pit the Hugo, one of the best DAC/Amp in its form factor, against the HDVD, which is purposely designed for the HD800.

If anyone can comment solely on the amp performance in direction comparison between the HDVD and Hugo, it would be very helpful in my decision.  When all else fails, I think your suggestion is the most thoughtful and logical approach with the given choices and the lack of auditions.  

Jan 1, 2015 at 9:02 PM Post #9,154 of 15,694
  The leaking £££'s not for the USB cable as I thought at some stage I might have to spend a bit on a USB cable for the Hugo but the Audiophilleo converter thing? If that is a viable partner that will improve things further paired with the Hugo later on then that is the £££'s I did not see coming.  Like a Hugo crash waiting to happen! ... Do you own a Philleo yourself or just heard it?  

Good to hear Audio Sensibility do the 30 day thing, maybe that's were they get the "Sensibility" in their name?  

Yes, I've read some interviews with Steven Huang from Audio Sensibility and the "Sensibility" part does come from wanting to bring a more reasonable approach to  prices and service. (Steve has a close tie to 
Atsumi Ohno, of OCC fame, by the by. He really knows what he's doing.) 

As for the Audiophilleo, if you go back though the million or so posts in this thread you will see there is no consensus on the best way to feed the Hugo. As for me I've compared the three main routes: HD USB, coax, and optical. Each input has a distinctive sound which remains consistent even as it improves up the cable quality chain. USB always sounds clear but slightly cold and bright.  Optical always sounds fluid and organic but slightly warm and thick.

Now, full disclosure, the only coax I've tried is with the Audiophilleo, which I own and use--but, the coax + Audiophilleo--to my ears--is the most transparent, fluid And airy, spacious, accurate, etc. etc. "all that and a bag of IC chips." It's the ~12.5% I can't go back from. Actually, I don't want it! The Hugo is so nice and compact on it's own and I use it portably. But, once I heard the Audiophileo, I had to have it in the chain (sigh). I think "audiophile" is Latin for a "persnickety obsessive compulsive."

Jan 1, 2015 at 9:09 PM Post #9,155 of 15,694
  Thank you for taking the time to reply with your logical insight.  Part of the difficulty in my decision (and also part of the fun as well) is the fact that nothing is absolutely perfect.  As you mentioned, I did read that HDVD with Hugo as the DAC is a quite nice match.  I think that would be the ultimate setup for me solely based on the experiences of others.  However, I can only make one purchase between the Hugo and HDVD 600 or 800.  

It's hard for me to imagine that AK120II's DAC is on par with Hugo based on all its rave reviews.  I think if the Hugo's amp is able to drive HD800 as well as the HDVD models, notwithstanding the power differences and maximum volume levels, then the Hugo is a no brainer.  It's hard to pit the Hugo, one of the best DAC/Amp in its form factor, against the HDVD, which is purposely designed for the HD800.

If anyone can comment solely on the amp performance in direction comparison between the HDVD and Hugo, it would be very helpful in my decision.  When all else fails, I think your suggestion is the most thoughtful and logical approach with the given choices and the lack of auditions.  

No worries, been there plenty of times myself and sometimes when you know you can't get audition the gear you need to bounce of others that have the gear.. or not!, so not sure how much use I am really but just reading between the lines from what you said it was just observation of what choices was left from your description.  In theory it may come to from snippets I have seen in recent weeks/ months so not gospel or anything but seems between the Hugo and HDVD800 their strongest swing on their pendulum's is the opposite of each other, ie. the Hugo has the better DAC where maybe the Senn has the better amp section in a splitting hairs sense. 

I would look first to see from others how the Hugo drives the HD800, if there is any doubt on the amp side with the Hugo paired with the HD800's then I would go HDVD800 first then acquire Hugo later on but if it is peachy as is with the Hugo then I would certainly sway towards Hugo with other factors like the Hugo's versatility with it's size for taking anywhere with it's battery power that could be a factor as it has most connections available going for it, maybe one which will Swing in favour of the HDVD800 if you want to go the route of balanced inputs then I do believe the Senn amp has it.  Hope someone who has that combo already and can help you out more, but that would be my approach all dependent on how the Hugo can actually match on the amp side with the HD800's.  

Sure it will all fall into place soon ; )

Jan 1, 2015 at 10:01 PM Post #9,156 of 15,694

Yes, I've read some interviews with Steven Huang from Audio Sensibility and the "Sensibility" part does come from wanting to bring a more reasonable approach to  prices and service. (Steve has a close tie to 
Atsumi Ohno, of OCC fame, by the by. He really knows what he's doing.) 

As for the Audiophilleo, if you go back though the million or so posts in this thread you will see there is no consensus on the best way to feed the Hugo. As for me I've compared the three main routes: HD USB, coax, and optical. Each input has a distinctive sound which remains consistent even as it improves up the cable quality chain. USB always sounds clear but slightly cold and bright.  Optical always sounds fluid and organic but slightly warm and thick.

Now, full disclosure, the only coax I've tried is with the Audiophilleo, which I own and use--but, the coax + Audiophilleo--to my ears--is the most transparent, fluid And airy, spacious, accurate, etc. etc. "all that and a bag of IC chips." It's the ~12.5% I can't go back from. Actually, I don't want it! The Hugo is so nice and compact on it's own and I use it portably. But, once I heard the Audiophileo, I had to have it in the chain (sigh). I think "audiophile" is Latin for a "persnickety obsessive compulsive."

Maybe I've part Greek in there then with my old Irish crossed Viking Italian heritage descendancy (apparently anyway) of last several generations! Last drop of sound will be squeezed out of the Hugo if it kills my wallet!  

Cheaper option might be to plug Hugo into my toaster and that will warm up the Hugo to maximum (300C +/-) operative working output discharge for hearing mice eat crumbs in back of the studio when Black Sabbath was at full pelt as well as hear the bat's frequency!? It's way to late for me! 

It's a nice indulgent thought the Philleo at the moment I can't have but I am sure it would change if I was to hear it and then if it done the same to me as it has done with yourself  it would be on my hit list until I got it so hopefully it is something further down the line as a USB cable is first priority then headphones, a new updated dap then... lol
Thing is the Philleo I would probably not take with me on holiday, plane, hotel's etc.  but desktop at home and when plumbed into speaker Hi-Fi system for those proper paid attention too sessions then it would be a diamond if it helped things along for the Hugo. Did you have your Philleo with the pure power option or is that just with the Philleo as it is? 

I will catch up with more Philleo threads and check out the "Captain" Sensible Audio USB cables as tomorrow as I'm off to bed now, yawn 02.30! 

[size=12.8000001907349px]Thanks for helpful insight and direction for the day though, much appreciated ; )[/size]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have experienced something odd with my Hugo today, when used with the high res usb port on Hugo  I had what I thought was a bad rip from a cd on my Sony Media Go player which I use for all my FLAC tracks for the Sony Walkman but seemed to be random and then done it with any album or song any place in a song so knew it was not the music rips (all from cd).

[size=12.8000001907349px]It sounds like the music does a digitized stutter warping version of old cassette getting chewed in rollers and does this in periodic short burst of 10 secs on then 20-30 off and back again and would then go quite for 5-10 minutes and do the cycle again for a few minutes! Strange.  [/size]

[size=12.8000001907349px]Tried shutting all other programs as well but did not make one iota difference[/size]then ruled out the usb cable as it done it with another one and decided to go to my Windows Media player which I archive all my cd's I do in WAV and it played flawlessly so can only point towards the Sony Media Go at the moment as I do not think it is the Hugo played fine when in WMP.  Weird thing is it has never done this before with Sony's Media Go so am a bit flumaxed as to the root cause.  

Anyone had that same experience? will investigate further when I wake up to see if it continues...

Jan 1, 2015 at 11:45 PM Post #9,157 of 15,694
I've expressed several times that the Hugo and the HD800's is a great combo. I don't feel the need for an additional amp. Whenever I put something between the Hugo and the HD800 I tend to loose more than I gain. There is plenty of clean volume available with this combo. Would a more powerful amp give a touch more bass slam? Probably, but I believe you'd probably be making some trade offs to get there. I also have more bass-head phones ready for those times. 
If anybody wants to loan me a DVD 600 or 800 I'd be happy to give an opinion. I promise I'll return it - when I'm done.

Jan 2, 2015 at 1:52 AM Post #9,158 of 15,694
I am torn between Chord Hugo, HDVD 600, and HDVD 800.  I am hoping for a decent setup with my incoming HD800.  I read on the thread that Hugo does very well with HD800, but it sounds like HDVD 600 and 800 also work very well.  I don't think I would have as much of a hard time deciding if I don't also have an incoming AK120II which I could potentially use as a DAC with the HDVD 600 and 800 (if the AK DAC sounds better).  Would it be smarter to start with a Hugo only or a HDVD 600/800 and use my AK120II as an DAC?  Once I make the purchase, I don't foresee myself having the cash to upgrade for a while...  Decisions..... 
hi m8, i have the Hugo and the hdvd800.If you've only got the money for 1 item then get the Hugo 1st and then when you have the money get the senn 600 amp.The Hugo and hd800 sound great together and i think most people would be happy with it.If You then want 2 take it 2 next level get the senn 600 amp with senns balance cable for the hd800s.If you live in England I'd be happy 4 you 2 come round and listen 4 yourself.

Jan 2, 2015 at 2:47 AM Post #9,160 of 15,694
FortisFlyer75 Hi Fortis, Happy New Year and all that!... - been sat outside of the portable Hugo thread, as I know I've got several posts to reply to - one of yours included from a couple of weeks back - will be brave enough to go back in there soon :)

Re your 'issue', sounds like latency to me, what CPU do you have in your PC? - also, you mentioned Sony Media Go / WMP - did you have the same effect on (if you have this installed) foobar? - There are various tweaks in there for improving latency issues (increasing buffer size), and it will also allow you to use the native Hugo USB driver as WASAPI

Jan 2, 2015 at 3:57 AM Post #9,161 of 15,694

Finally I had the chance to use the Hugo as a DAC to compare to two desktop DACs: Audio-gd reference 5.32 and Denafrips DAC-8pro, feeding a Denafrips HA-8pro amp and a SPL Phonitor amp. Sorry to say that, but I heard what I heard, the two desktop DACs won, the Hugo's suffered too much of compression in soundstage. The two desktop DACs simply sounded much more grand. It's good as a desktop DAC, but not comparable to good desktop DACs.

you can accuse the Hugo of many things but "compression in soundstage" isn't one of them.
"It's good as a desktop DAC, but not comparable to good desktop DACs." --- what are you saying???

Jan 2, 2015 at 4:04 AM Post #9,162 of 15,694
Was it with speakers though? The people who have not been quite as impressed by the Hugo in comparison with full-sized DACs both were using speakers.

Anyhow, a nice little New Year's story: I was browsing in a bookstore here killing time before a family lunch when I found that this month's copy of Stereo magazine here in Japan included a USB noise isolator. I hadn't gotten around to buying the Wyrd to try with the Hugo's USB so I bought it and decided to give it a run. I'm powering it using an Aurorasound USB Bus Power Pro and while it isn't dramatic, the sound does seem to be a tad smoother and more pleasant compared to using a cable direct to the Hugo itself. At some point I'll try and compare it to the Audiophilleo 1, but it seems I'll be able to re-assign the AP1 to a different DAC.

Jan 2, 2015 at 4:20 AM Post #9,163 of 15,694
  Anyhow, a nice little New Year's story: I was browsing in a bookstore here killing time before a family lunch when I found that this month's copy of Stereo magazine here in Japan included a USB noise isolator. I hadn't gotten around to buying the Wyrd to try with the Hugo's USB so I bought it and decided to give it a run. I'm powering it using an Aurorasound USB Bus Power Pro and while it isn't dramatic, the sound does seem to be a tad smoother and more pleasant compared to using a cable direct to the Hugo itself. At some point I'll try and compare it to the Audiophilleo 1, but it seems I'll be able to re-assign the AP1 to a different DAC.

This one?

Happy new year!

Jan 2, 2015 at 5:57 AM Post #9,164 of 15,694
Finally I had the chance to use the Hugo as a DAC to compare to two desktop DACs: Audio-gd reference 5.32 and Denafrips DAC-8pro, feeding a Denafrips HA-8pro amp and a SPL Phonitor amp. Sorry to say that, but I heard what I heard, the two desktop DACs won, the Hugo's suffered too much of compression in soundstage. The two desktop DACs simply sounded much more grand. It's good as a desktop DAC, but not comparable to good desktop DACs.

trying to think if I was being treated as a fool so I had to check the date which wasn't that hard seeing that yesterday was Jan 1st, what a relief it wasn't April when I read you post about 'soundstage' which in my humble opinion is rather humongous and uncluttered.

Jan 2, 2015 at 6:55 AM Post #9,165 of 15,694
Excuse my laziness, I knew someone must have mentioned the SQ of Hugo's amp before but this is a long thread
tongue.gif
. So... my question is: Is the amp section of the Hugo as brilliant as the DAC section or not of the same level?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back