Chord Hugo
Dec 25, 2014 at 12:08 PM Post #9,121 of 15,694
I ran throw a good number of pages on this thread, so everyone agrees that the Hugo is a match to some great DACs like the M7. But I noticed that most ppl who made the comments only talked about the details, control, bass quality, but I didn't see anyone comparing the soundstage size. How is the Hugo soundstage quality/size compared to the M7 or any other better DACs? Because an audio component can sound balance, sweet, with big bass etc, but if it sounds small, it's not high end.

Dec 25, 2014 at 12:32 PM Post #9,122 of 15,694
I ran throw a good number of pages on this thread, so everyone agrees that the Hugo is a match to some great DACs like the M7. But I noticed that most ppl who made the comments only talked about the details, control, bass quality, but I didn't see anyone comparing the soundstage size. How is the Hugo soundstage quality/size compared to the M7 or any other better DACs? Because an audio component can sound balance, sweet, with big bass etc, but if it sounds small, it's not high end.

It's plenty big, no cross fade for me.

Dec 26, 2014 at 7:32 PM Post #9,123 of 15,694
Had my first listen to the Roxanne with Hugo. Man, it's like a portable TH900! Great paring. 

Dec 27, 2014 at 10:18 PM Post #9,128 of 15,694
Yeah, but I'm listening to The Stones, The Police and Clapton now!

Dec 28, 2014 at 3:34 AM Post #9,129 of 15,694
  I enjoy the combo. Roxanne and Hugo

Yeah, but I'm listening to The Stones, The Police and Clapton now!

Try:

1) Mozart - Violin Concerto No. 4 in D Major (KV218): Andante Cantabile - Marianne Thorsen + Trondheim Solistene 

2) Barbados - Jazz in the Pawnshop - A. Domnerus / L. Erstrand / B. Halleberg / E. Johansen / G. Riedel

3) Summertime - Annie Lennox 

4) (Just Like) Starting Over - John Lennon (non-stripped version)

Take a break - Have yourself a Kitkat or a shot of Macallan or whatever turns you on.

5) I Still Haven’t Found What I'm Looking For - U2 (Rattle & Hum)

6) Surfing with the Alien - Joe Satriani

7) Burn - Ellie Goulding (Tiesto’s Club Life Remix)

8) Greyhound - Swedish House Mafia

Then, lastly...

9) Layla - Eric Clapton Unplugged   

Cheers.

Dec 28, 2014 at 5:06 AM Post #9,130 of 15,694

Try:

1) Mozart - Violin Concerto No. 4 in D Major (KV218): Andante Cantabile - Marianne Thorsen + Trondheim Solistene 

2) Barbados - Jazz in the Pawnshop - A. Domnerus / L. Erstrand / B. Halleberg / E. Johansen / G. Riedel

3) Summertime - Annie Lennox 

4) (Just Like) Starting Over - John Lennon (non-stripped version)

Take a break - Have yourself a Kitkat or a shot of Macallan or whatever turns you on.

5) I Still Haven’t Found What I'm Looking For - U2 (Rattle & Hum)

6) Surfing with the Alien - Joe Satriani

7) Burn - Ellie Goulding (Tiesto’s Club Life Remix)

8) Greyhound - Swedish House Mafia

Then, lastly...

9) Layla - Eric Clapton Unplugged   

Cheers.

great play-list ! :)

Dec 28, 2014 at 9:41 AM Post #9,132 of 15,694

I'll question No.9... imo Layla should always feature Duane Allman, without him the track is limp wristed... bit like strawberries without the cream.

The Derek & The Dominos version is the original... it has more energy, it is raw and, (big) yes, we have Duane's solo... I'll give you that. Tasty bit of history behind the track too.

Two decades later comes an unplugged version, life-worn, reflective and perhaps, a touch melancholic. In an acoustic live album that also contained "Tears in Heaven" and "Nobody Knows You When You Are Down and Out." Sounds rather brilliant too.

So, what we have here is: Laphroaig vs Balvenie Double Wood. Can't go wrong either way.

Cheers.

P.S. Anyway, Layla's inclusion was tongue-in-cheek, albeit not without a dash of irony  
wink.gif

Dec 28, 2014 at 12:28 PM Post #9,134 of 15,694
i have tried some of my jvc xrcd and hugo sounds so fabulous. these were salena jones, famous sound of three blind mice, luke and the locomotives - robert lucas and fim nature concertos.

Dec 29, 2014 at 4:52 AM Post #9,135 of 15,694
Quick one...

The original PSU is very annoying (whines when not under load), and - I have a spare PSU which comes from an external hard drive (KTec KSAD1200150W1UK), 12v, 1.5A switching mode, and am wondering if anyone would dissuade me from using this as a drop in replacement to the noisy PSU, and - if so, what I should use...

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back