Chord Hugo
Sep 6, 2014 at 5:12 AM Post #8,041 of 15,694
Hi Hugo owners, just wondering whether the RCA output is true line-out that bypasses amp section or just set the amp to the highest volume, as AK240 do?
Anyone who use Hugo as a DAC only and connect to an amp through RCA can answer this question? Thanks you guys!

Sep 6, 2014 at 7:02 AM Post #8,042 of 15,694
Hi Hugo owners, just wondering whether the RCA output is true line-out that bypasses amp section or just set the amp to the highest volume, as AK240 do?
Anyone who use Hugo as a DAC only and connect to an amp through RCA can answer this question? Thanks you guys!

All outputs of the Hugo is driven by the same analogue circuit - no "bypass". There is a "preset" mode activated by pressing the crossfeed button when lowering it up to a 3V default output level.

You can basically use ANY volume of the Hugo to feed your power amp as long as the volume is not too high to clip your amp's input.

FWIW the Hugo output plenty if power/current and you may or may not need/like adding an amp. Personally I like adding WA22 with premium NOS tubes to add some tubey coloration when I use my HD800, or with my audio-gd amp to give more power to drive HE6, but prefer no additional amp for LCD3. YMMV.

Sep 6, 2014 at 7:19 AM Post #8,043 of 15,694
Thanks kkcc. If no bypass, then the signal will go through unnecessary amp section inside the hugo, causing negative impact on sound quality... Isn't it?
By the way, how would you compare hd800 with hugo output versus wa22 output?

Sep 6, 2014 at 7:23 AM Post #8,044 of 15,694

. As for the Borg, 7 of 9 is the only member of the collective to ever hold my attention !

'7of9' can assimilate me any day... 
tongue_smile.gif

Sep 6, 2014 at 8:36 AM Post #8,045 of 15,694
Thanks kkcc. If no bypass, then the signal will go through unnecessary amp section inside the hugo, causing negative impact on sound quality... Isn't it?

This is nothing like the faux line-out of the AK240

The FPGA is both the DAC and amp. The designer had made many helpful posts on the Hugo workings if you thread search

Sep 6, 2014 at 9:02 AM Post #8,047 of 15,694

In my case, it is better to connect hugo directly to power amp. Hugo preamp section is really good and connecting to the preamp IMO coloring the true sound of Hugo.

I think Rob Watts himself using Hugo directly connected to power amp. You can see the discussion here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/702787/chord-hugo/2550

Sep 6, 2014 at 10:37 AM Post #8,048 of 15,694
Hi alubis, the term "power amp" does refer to the headphone amp such as phonitor, is my understanding correct? But those amps also have preamp function. Actually my point is that I am quite uncertain that whether an external amp is needed to accompany hugo to drive hd800? If it is still needed, then shall I use that crossfeed function to connect?

Sep 6, 2014 at 11:04 AM Post #8,049 of 15,694
Hi alubis, the term "power amp" does refer to the headphone amp such as phonitor, is my understanding correct? But those amps also have preamp function. Actually my point is that I am quite uncertain that whether an external amp is needed to accompany hugo to drive hd800? If it is still needed, then shall I use that crossfeed function to connect?

Well in my case I'm using hugo in a passive speaker setup, so I'm not sure about the headphone amp you mentioned. But reading from the posts in this forum, it seems that hugo amp should be sufficient enough to drive your headphone. However, I think some Hugo owners in this thread have headphones such as yours and they should be in better position to answer your questions.

Sep 6, 2014 at 11:49 AM Post #8,051 of 15,694

Well, up earlier in this thread Rob said that the volume control is always active. But the proof is how the pudding sounds you know... And when I listen using my external amp from the Hugo RCA jacks, the sound is so great and musical I can't think about any theoretical design issues.
[ Computer via usb  --> Hugo --> Stealth Indra  IC --> Rudistor RP010B --> HE560/TH900/Grado GS1000i/PM1 ]

Sep 6, 2014 at 12:44 PM Post #8,052 of 15,694
Hi guys,

Just got the Chord Hugo. I'm trying to charge the unit and its indicating a white light at the charge led bulb. However, it doesnt seem to be charging after leaving the unit on for a few hours. Once I plug out the wall charger and tried to switch it on, the Hugo simply has no power.

Any idea?

Sep 6, 2014 at 1:02 PM Post #8,055 of 15,694
Sounds like the battery is completely flat.

When this happens, the charger charges with a very small current, as Li batteries can't be charged with full current with a low battery voltage.

So try charging for several hours with the unit switched off. You need to keep the unit off during this period, as the charging current is not enough to both charge and keep the unit on.

Hope this works, Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back