Chord Hugo
Sep 7, 2014 at 8:28 PM Post #8,071 of 15,692
So for ones using set of passive speakers with the hugo, would double amping Hugo -> external amp-> Speakers result in bad sound? Would getting a straight alone dac like the qutehd. -> external amp sound better?

Wondering how much double amping. would have a negative sound effect..?

the last time we discussed this you were about to make your own cables to drive your speakers directly from the Hugo - I take it that came to nought ?

Sep 7, 2014 at 8:50 PM Post #8,072 of 15,692
I ended up buying a custom made Kimber cables... banana to rca for 150.00.
My speakers are 86db and 6 ohms and wuth hugo running as dac/preamp/amp for my 2 channel, though it's transparent and soundstage is 3d, it distorts at moderate to high volumes. Lacking dynamics. I wouldn't recommend using Hugo to drive set of passive unless high efficient speakers. So now I'm just waiting for my monoblocks to arrive.

But it seems like Hugos amp section is running all the times without any bypassing being done even connected to external amp, which result is double amp running... how much negatives does this bring? Are the 2 channel purists better off with a chord quthed. per say which doesn't have any amping being done?

Sep 8, 2014 at 12:12 AM Post #8,073 of 15,692
Yes I thought 6 ohms and 86dB would be too much. Poor old Hugo can "only" deliver 0.5A - that would limit it to 3v peak into 6 ohms, rather than 7v peak it can do unloaded. When I have done it, its been with 8 ohms and very efficient horn loudspeakers - well into the 90's. And yes agreed about the 3D sound stage - the depth was extraordinary driving the Axjet horn loudspeakers.

No stick with Hugo rather than Qute - downside with a traditional DAC is then you have to do volume conventionally, which will have an impact on transparency. 

I ended up buying a custom made Kimber cables... banana to rca for 150.00.
My speakers are 86db and 6 ohms and wuth hugo running as dac/preamp/amp for my 2 channel, though it's transparent and soundstage is 3d, it distorts at moderate to high volumes. Lacking dynamics. I wouldn't recommend using Hugo to drive set of passive unless high efficient speakers. So now I'm just waiting for my monoblocks to arrive.

But it seems like Hugos amp section is running all the times without any bypassing being done even connected to external amp, which result is double amp running... how much negatives does this bring? Are the 2 channel purists better off with a chord quthed. per say which doesn't have any amping being done?

Hugo has just one active stage with one global feedback loop - exactly as per Qute, as this also needs an active stage for setting the gain, buffering and DAC I to V function. It just so happens that Hugo's active stage can deliver 5V RMS and 0.5A, running it into a line level input has zero downside compared to a traditional DAC. Indeed, I am now using the same topology for DAC line level only outputs, as the Class A discrete hybrid operation gives better sound and measurements than using a op-amp only for the active stage.

Rob 

Sep 8, 2014 at 12:16 AM Post #8,074 of 15,692
Question. Is connecting the Samsung Note 3 via bluetooth to the Hugo considered a lossless exchange of data fed to the DAC?

Can this be used to avoid any noise?

Either way I am connecting without problems on my Samsung Note 3.

Sep 8, 2014 at 12:29 AM Post #8,075 of 15,692
Yes I thought 6 ohms and 86dB would be too much. Poor old Hugo can "only" deliver 0.5A - that would limit it to 3v peak into 6 ohms, rather than 7v peak it can do unloaded. When I have done it, its been with 8 ohms and very efficient horn loudspeakers - well into the 90's. And yes agreed about the 3D sound stage - the depth was extraordinary driving the Axjet horn loudspeakers.

No stick with Hugo rather than Qute - downside with a traditional DAC is then you have to do volume conventionally, which will have an impact on transparency. 

Hugo has just one active stage with one global feedback loop - exactly as per Qute, as this also needs an active stage for setting the gain, buffering and DAC I to V function. It just so happens that Hugo's active stage can deliver 5V RMS and 0.5A, running it into a line level input has zero downside compared to a traditional DAC. Indeed, I am now using the same topology for DAC line level only outputs, as the Class A discrete hybrid operation gives better sound and measurements than using a op-amp only for the active stage.

Rob 

Thanks for the reply Rob Watts! That's a relief! Just waiting for my monoblocks now. :D

Sep 8, 2014 at 3:14 AM Post #8,077 of 15,692
  APTX Bluetooth is limited to CD quality audio. 

Moon Audio has a special digital cable for portables which is thin. They can custom make them. They have one in the pictures for a DAP/Hugo coax combination (TS to RCA):

http://www.moon-audio.com/audio-cables/black-dragon-75-ohm-mini-coax-digital-cable-for-the-hifiman-player.html

So my 320 kbps derived mp3s would not be held back by the bluetooth connection? Or my FLACs created from CDs?

Sep 8, 2014 at 3:20 AM Post #8,078 of 15,692
I have not heard more about Chord's case, but I might be able to help out. Not to steal Chord's thunder on the leather case, but I thought I would offer - If anyone is looking for a *custom* designed, 100% hand-made leather case for Hugo, I could work with you to design something to your use application. A transport pouch, a functional on-the-go case, I can work with you. I make leather goods of all kinds. The few that I could produce wouldn't have an impact on Chord anyway, so I feel OK offering this.

I use leather from the world-famous Horween tannery in Chicago, who invented the tanning process about 100 years ago, for the leather I use today. It's considered some of the very best, and intended to last "many lifetimes." Everything is hand cut, and hand stitched with the industry-leading waxed polyester Tiger thread - the best you can get from the Julius Koch company, which I import to the US. It has a very hand-made, unrefined/unmachined quality to it. If you want something super slick, what I offer isn't for you. But the quality is unmatched.

PM if that sounds of interest to you.

Sep 8, 2014 at 4:08 AM Post #8,079 of 15,692
Note sure how relevant. But this is how I carry my Hugo within my messenger bag. Bought it at my local mall; it is some kind of GPS padded carrier.

I think it is this: http://www.amazon.com/Golla-Day-Tripper-GPS-Purple/dp/B004BRLOXK/ref=sr_1_77?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1410165154&sr=1-77&keywords=golla

Here are my pictures of it:
http://imgur.com/a/lG8Ky

Sep 8, 2014 at 7:10 AM Post #8,080 of 15,692
Hi Guys 

Could anyone direct me to a good, form fitting and stylish carrier box for the Hugo? 
Maybe one that could also carry a few pairs of iems? 

I know the hugo is very strong in itself but I would be carrying it around on my bike alot
and should I take a spill I want to ensure it does not absorb any shocks. 

A GPS tracker on the box in case of theft would be an interesting perk also. 

£1400 is a big investment for me so forgive me if I seem overly cautious. 

Sep 8, 2014 at 7:14 AM Post #8,081 of 15,692
Quick question, folks. Thinking of getting Wireworld Coax cables, wondering if the RCA connectors would fit...? Cheers

Sep 8, 2014 at 8:14 AM Post #8,082 of 15,692
Quick question, folks. Thinking of getting Wireworld Coax cables, wondering if the RCA connectors would fit...? Cheers

It should fit, didn't you get a gold extender/adapter thing inside the box?

Sep 8, 2014 at 8:17 AM Post #8,083 of 15,692
Hi Guys 

Could anyone direct me to a good, form fitting and stylish carrier box for the Hugo? 

I know the hugo is very strong in itself but I would be carrying it around on my bike alot

Buy Pelican dry box with foam and cut out as desired. Will have to do your own research as to size requirements. Most come with carinba. Although would think backpack with headphone cord pass-through would be better

Sep 8, 2014 at 8:20 AM Post #8,084 of 15,692
It should fit, didn't you get a gold extender/adapter thing inside the box?

Thanks!
I have not bought it yet, i just saw in the shop when i picked up a Furutech fuse...but didnt buy until i could get confirmation that it wud fit...just to be safe or else i have to reterminate...so theres an adapter comes with the cable?

Sep 8, 2014 at 9:00 AM Post #8,085 of 15,692
Hi Guys 

A GPS tracker on the box in case of theft would be an interesting perk also. 

£1400 is a big investment for me so forgive me if I seem overly cautious. 

This is how I store my Hugo and DAP :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back