Chord Hugo
Sep 8, 2014 at 9:04 AM Post #8,086 of 15,688
   I think a read a few posts earlier, that a leather case will be released by Chord. Has this happened yet?

I put in a request to St Epiphany in my dreams last night and low & behold I was shown a sign saying 'there will be an Official-Annoucement about the leather cases for the Chord Hugo this week'...
bigsmile_face.gif

Sep 8, 2014 at 9:51 AM Post #8,087 of 15,688
This is how I store my Hugo and DAP
smily_headphones1.gif

Very cool. Having no real xp in crafting these things, I assume you drew an outline of the hugo and measured for depth
and eyeballed it with an exacto knife? I think I would go for something a touch smaller and maybe Id not go so far as foam....but just a hard shell with snug form factor. I use a case logic hd case for my apex glacier atm. works well. 
but that's just a $500 amp. 

How strong do people say the hugo chassis is anyway? I dont care about scuffs, I care about components getting vibrated and shaken round. 

Sep 8, 2014 at 11:08 AM Post #8,088 of 15,688

Very cool. Having no real xp in crafting these things, I assume you drew an outline of the hugo and measured for depth
and eyeballed it with an exacto knife? I think I would go for something a touch smaller and maybe Id not go so far as foam....but just a hard shell with snug form factor. I use a case logic hd case for my apex glacier atm. works well. 
but that's just a $500 amp. 

How strong do people say the hugo chassis is anyway? I dont care about scuffs, I care about components getting vibrated and shaken round. 

Thanks for the compliments. The foam that comes with the pelican case is pick n pluck, so you just put the Hugo on top of the foam and count the number of cubes you need to pluck off to form the shape of the object you are intending to put. No need for knives or cutters of any sort, its that straightforward. Frankly I think the pelican case is overkill but I have a fetish for rugged storage cases thats why I got this case for the Hugo.

I am not exactly sure but I saw a youtube vid of a tank driving over one of Chord's desktop amps or something like that with minimal damage. Impressive! I should think the hugo should be pretty well built to withstand vibrations and knocks as it was designed to be portable in the first place :)

Sep 8, 2014 at 11:38 AM Post #8,089 of 15,688
I am not exactly sure but I saw a youtube vid of a tank driving over one of Chord's desktop amps or something like that with minimal damage. Impressive! I should think the hugo should be pretty well built to withstand vibrations and knocks as it was designed to be portable in the first place :)

Yes I saw that video! amazing. 

Any thoughts on impact vibration on the Hugo @Rob Watts

Sep 8, 2014 at 12:25 PM Post #8,090 of 15,688
I contacted Matt at Chord, and there have been no electronic failures with Hugo as a result of impact damage.

Not surprising, surface mount technology (SMD) allows for big G; SMD was originally created for the Apollo space program for the guidance computers - SMD components are small, and lightweight, so will stand big accelerations and impact. Furthermore, the components are glued down first with epoxy SMD glue, then reflow soldered. There are no internal connectors in Hugo too.

After all, how many times have you dropped a mobile phone? They only fail when you break the glass!

Rob

Sep 8, 2014 at 12:39 PM Post #8,091 of 15,688
Apologies mods for posting this twice..........there appear to be two Hugo threads running at the same time :)

I can't release any more info on the cases just yet but they do look amazing. However I have opened pre-orders on the Chord Hugo - Satin Black which will be available in two weeks. - :) It looks amazing...but i'm just awaiting some high res images for the site.

http://www.custom-cable.co.uk/chord-hugo-black-edition.html

All the best

Sep 8, 2014 at 3:51 PM Post #8,096 of 15,688
  I contacted Matt at Chord, and there have been no electronic failures with Hugo as a result of impact damage.

Not surprising, surface mount technology (SMD) allows for big G; SMD was originally created for the Apollo space program for the guidance computers - SMD components are small, and lightweight, so will stand big accelerations and impact. Furthermore, the components are glued down first with epoxy SMD glue, then reflow soldered. There are no internal connectors in Hugo too.

After all, how many times have you dropped a mobile phone? They only fail when you break the glass!

Rob

on another note, for me i consider the hugo a piece of art that i like to admire for a long time, musically and aesthetically so since i have used the hugo without a case i have few scratches, is there any possible way that i can buy just the chasis alone. is it easy to replace the chasis

please rob can u answer this as to me sratches are eye sores to me

Sep 8, 2014 at 7:12 PM Post #8,098 of 15,688
Quick question, folks. Thinking of getting Wireworld Coax cables, wondering if the RCA connectors would fit...? Cheers

Wireworld S/PDIF cables fit Hugo without adapters if you modify the RCA contact a little bit. Remove the screw and pull the shell back ca 4 mm. Be careful to also move the silicon ring together with the shell, it is hard to get the silicon ring back into the shell again, I know… The friction between the shell and the cable is so high, at least for my Silver Starlight 6 cable, so you don’t need the screw if you are reasonably careful when unplugging the cable. You could always drill another hole in the shell, of course (the screw is threaded into the inner part of the contact, not the shell). Wireworld cables should also fit the line out sockets when modifying the contacts in the same way.

Hmm, I should really get out of my lurking mode soon…

Sep 8, 2014 at 10:33 PM Post #8,100 of 15,688
Wireworld S/PDIF cables fit Hugo without adapters if you modify the RCA contact a little bit. Remove the screw and pull the shell back ca 4 mm. Be careful to also move the silicon ring together with the shell, it is hard to get the silicon ring back into the shell again, I know… The friction between the shell and the cable is so high, at least for my Silver Starlight 6 cable, so you don’t need the screw if you are reasonably careful when unplugging the cable. You could always drill another hole in the shell, of course (the screw is threaded into the inner part of the contact, not the shell). Wireworld cables should also fit the line out sockets when modifying the contacts in the same way.

Hmm, I should really get out of my lurking mode soon…

Thank you, sir.....i think i will go for cheaper DIY spdif cable as damaging the connector will lose resell value should i ever want to upgrade in the future...n u know we always wanna upgrade

Users who are viewing this thread

Back