Chord Hugo
Aug 18, 2014 at 4:09 PM Post #7,668 of 15,694
Just contacted Kimber kable and they are making me a foor long speaker to rca adapter. 2 females banana on one end, and rca male on the other. $130.00 for the pair.

Sent from my SM Galaxy Tab using Tapatalk

Aug 18, 2014 at 11:32 PM Post #7,670 of 15,694
The Audiophilleo AP1 & PP has arrived, initial impressions are that the sound has lost all trace of any harshness. The music arrives out a black background.

The cabling is a mess though, can I use a S/PDIF cable instead of going direct, any loss of SQ?

Aug 19, 2014 at 2:20 AM Post #7,671 of 15,694
  The Audiophilleo AP1 & PP has arrived, initial impressions are that the sound has lost all trace of any harshness. The music arrives out a black background.

The cabling is a mess though, can I use a S/PDIF cable instead of going direct, any loss of SQ?

It actually sounds better with a longer S/PDIF cable!  1.5m is best.
Longer is generally better with S/PDIF Cables.
Also make sure you "burn-in" the AP properly (200 hours).

Despite what other people here are saying, the AP1 improves the sound of the Hugo tremendously IMHO.

It may be just the RF noise/Jitter reduction. Who knows!

Aug 19, 2014 at 5:09 AM Post #7,672 of 15,694
I've had the Hugo for a good month or so now and I'm new to the 'Summit-fi (?)' scene, but I'm having trouble pairing my Hugo with an amp.

I first had a PanAm, which I found dirtied the Hugo Sound, but I really liked the Tubey sound, so I went up to the WA6. However, at the moment I'm still unsatisfied. I've tried going straight through the Hugo, but I found that it was too fast and bright. Where does my problem lie?

At the moment, I'm considering going end game with a Cavalli Liquid Glass, WA22, WA5-LE, or DNA Stratus. I think the best pairing I've heard so far is the Cypher Labs Praetus, but I can't afford that right now.

Here is my current setup Laptop -> XMOS based transport for COAX -> Hugo through COAX -> (AMP) -> LCD-XC.\

Help and opinions will be highly valued.

Thanks in advance for all your help. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 19, 2014 at 5:40 AM Post #7,673 of 15,694
fire2368 maybe you can describe which setup would be your reference that you don't find "too fast and bright" so we have some context and can give you more tangible and meaningful ideas to try. Listing some of the music that you find offensive with your setup now would also help.

Aug 19, 2014 at 5:57 AM Post #7,674 of 15,694
@fire2368 Have you tried any other headphones? Putting an amp between the Hugo and your headphones just to tune the sound is a bad idea IMO.

Aug 19, 2014 at 5:59 AM Post #7,675 of 15,694
@kkcc My current reference would be through the WA6, but I just miss the clarity that come out from the Hugo. However, what I found the nicest was through the Cypher Labs Praetus, but its difficult to find people who know the sound signature of that. That's why its been difficult for me. I also can't afford that.

Songs that I find offensive at the moment would be faster rock songs with a heavier bass drum (Avenged Sevenfold specifically, the bass drum strikes way too hard straight through the Hugo). I don't experience this fast and bright through the WA6 though, its just that I don't find the sound as realistic if that makes any sense (I think it becomes much warmer and slower). Like there are qualities from both I like and dislike. 

Sorry if I'm vague or confusing, I'm new at trying to explain what I hear. 

Aug 19, 2014 at 6:02 AM Post #7,676 of 15,694
@Currawong Haha, before all this when I was using a JDS Labs C5D and PanAM respectively as a DAC/AMP, I never faced these problems. It came after I plugged in the Hugo through a better source and had better music recordings. I found the Hugo totally changed in sound. Became cleaner but faster and brighter. 

Aug 19, 2014 at 6:19 AM Post #7,677 of 15,694
If its a slight tuning to perfection, roll some cables...i know its a taboo here but its fun if succesfully achieve the result you want

Aug 19, 2014 at 6:35 AM Post #7,678 of 15,694
If its a slight tuning to perfection, roll some cables...i know its a taboo here but its fun if succesfully achieve the result you want

I agree, its all about personal preference, if you tune roll to get the sound you like then whats the harm?

I am totally confused with this AP1 & PP thing, I have the Wieworld supplied USB running from my Mac to the PP and then the supplied USB black short cable from the PP to the AP1 is this the best way or should I run the Wireworld directly to the AP1 and use another longer USB cable to run to the PP?

Confused!!

Aug 19, 2014 at 6:36 AM Post #7,679 of 15,694

It actually sounds better with a longer S/PDIF cable!  1.5m is best.
Longer is generally better with S/PDIF Cables.
Also make sure you "burn-in" the AP properly (200 hours).

Despite what other people here are saying, the AP1 improves the sound of the Hugo tremendously IMHO.

It may be just the RF noise/Jitter reduction. Who knows!

I concur: I was positively surprised after adding a BlackCat Silverstar compared to directly connecting the AP2: the sound improved a lot! And yes, Hugo sounds better with AP2 and PP.
Bruno

Aug 19, 2014 at 6:42 AM Post #7,680 of 15,694

I agree, its all about personal preference, if you tune roll to get the sound you like then whats the harm?

I am totally confused with this AP1 & PP thing, I have the Wieworld supplied USB running from my Mac to the PP and then the supplied USB black short cable from the PP to the AP1 is this the best way or should I run the Wireworld directly to the AP1 and use another longer USB cable to run to the PP?

Confused!!

AP! & PP setup looks ok from what I can see from the picture ....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back