Chord Hugo
Aug 19, 2014 at 6:47 AM Post #7,681 of 15,694
@kkcc
 My current reference would be through the WA6, but I just miss the clarity that come out from the Hugo. However, what I found the nicest was through the Cypher Labs Praetus, but its difficult to find people who know the sound signature of that. That's why its been difficult for me. I also can't afford that.

Songs that I find offensive at the moment would be faster rock songs with a heavier bass drum (Avenged Sevenfold specifically, the bass drum strikes way too hard straight through the Hugo). I don't experience this fast and bright through the WA6 though, its just that I don't find the sound as realistic if that makes any sense (I think it becomes much warmer and slower). Like there are qualities from both I like and dislike. 

Sorry if I'm vague or confusing, I'm new at trying to explain what I hear. 

Re WA6, if you like its sound but find the sound less transparent than you like you may want to roll your tubes. I think VT231 (with adapter) as driver and EML274B or Sophie princess 274B mesh plate would improve transparency.

Also what headphones are you pairing them with? As currawong mentioned it usually would be best to pick a pair of headphone with your desired signature than trying to tweak with various components.

Aug 19, 2014 at 6:48 AM Post #7,682 of 15,694
  I concur: I was positively surprised after adding a BlackCat Silverstar compared to directly connecting the AP2: the sound improved a lot! And yes, Hugo sounds better with AP2 and PP.
Bruno

Thanks, will pick up a S/PDIF cable tomorrow. 

Still scratching my head over the possible AP1 & PP connections 
confused_face(1).gif

Aug 19, 2014 at 6:55 AM Post #7,683 of 15,694
I meant to remove the wa6 out of the equation if u feel lcdxc r adqueately driven from hugo (power wise)...then roll the headphone cables to remove the "harshness"?

Aug 19, 2014 at 7:05 AM Post #7,684 of 15,694
After an annoying setback yesterday, I now have in my possession a pair of Philips Fidelio X1, and whilst far from scientific (on a train at a quiet volume so as not to annoy other passengers) seems that these paired with Hugo are much more to my taste than the LCD2 that I've been using...

Looking forward to getting home and trying then out properly.

Aug 19, 2014 at 7:17 AM Post #7,685 of 15,694
@kkcc I'm using the LCD-XC's and I'm already using the Tubes that you mentioned.

@CosmicHolyGhost I'm going to try your advice tomorrow and see how they go with some nice Cardas/ALO/Nordost etc. cables. 

If it doesn't work, do you have any amp recommendations with similar sound signature to WA6 but have more clarity and extension?

Aug 19, 2014 at 7:42 AM Post #7,686 of 15,694

@CosmicHolyGhost I'm going to try your advice tomorrow and see how they go with some nice Cardas/ALO/Nordost etc. cables. 

Hi
I encountered similar situation as you recently as I bought the AK240 and could not find the right synergy with my custom earphones... I encountered harshness in the music I like and I was in a worst situation because I could not sell the customs.... so I rolled a few cables in my possession until the problem solved. I am not falling back in love with the customs...which I enjoy on daily basis... In your case, it seems adding an amp in your chain actually bring less... if you have access to shops that allow you to audition different cables,please take your time to try. I have been told the Nordost  heimdall 2 is very sweet sounding....I dont have a lot of experiences in amps but I enjoy the leben cs300xs tremendously... I like the smoothness and the depth this amp portrays... pretty sure there are many people here who could give you advice on what is a clear upgrade to the WA6. Enjoy!

Aug 19, 2014 at 7:54 AM Post #7,687 of 15,694
@kkcc
 I'm using the LCD-XC's and I'm already using the Tubes that you mentioned.

@CosmicHolyGhost
 I'm going to try your advice tomorrow and see how they go with some nice Cardas/ALO/Nordost etc. cables. 

If it doesn't work, do you have any amp recommendations with similar sound signature to WA6 but have more clarity and extension?

WA-6SE !

Aug 19, 2014 at 7:55 AM Post #7,688 of 15,694
After an annoying setback yesterday, I now have in my possession a pair of Philips Fidelio X1, and whilst far from scientific (on a train at a quiet volume so as not to annoy other passengers) seems that these paired with Hugo are much more to my taste than the LCD2 that I've been using...

Looking forward to getting home and trying then out properly.

Good... I want to buy Fidelio X2 that'll be released in September.

Aug 19, 2014 at 8:29 AM Post #7,689 of 15,694
Good... I want to buy Fidelio X2 that'll be released in September.
not supposed to try to lure me into more purchases!

That being said, if the X2 is more than just a cosmetic refresh of the X1 you'll probably see me at the front of the queue!

Only reason I didn't jump earlier was the tonal coloration on the L1 not being to my liking.

Happy times for all things Hugo

Aug 19, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #7,690 of 15,694
  I've had the Hugo for a good month or so now and I'm new to the 'Summit-fi (?)' scene, but I'm having trouble pairing my Hugo with an amp.

I first had a PanAm, which I found dirtied the Hugo Sound, but I really liked the Tubey sound, so I went up to the WA6. However, at the moment I'm still unsatisfied. I've tried going straight through the Hugo, but I found that it was too fast and bright. Where does my problem lie?

At the moment, I'm considering going end game with a Cavalli Liquid Glass, WA22, WA5-LE, or DNA Stratus. I think the best pairing I've heard so far is the Cypher Labs Praetus, but I can't afford that right now.

Here is my current setup Laptop -> XMOS based transport for COAX -> Hugo through COAX -> (AMP) -> LCD-XC.\

Help and opinions will be highly valued.

Thanks in advance for all your help. 
smily_headphones1.gif

unfortunately some people here keep critiquing me if i add an amp to the hugo to pair with my audeze, and I am in the same limbo like u, I love the hugo but i needed more warmth and bass punch so welcome to the club of trying a solution 

it sucks after spending  so much that you still need to add things to the chain.

I love the hugo so much but it just needs an amp and a good one to drive lcd2 I tried it also with the shure 846 it had great bass but that is not from the hugo its the sound sig of the shure but it was a little bright and shouty at times

I am afraid I will never ever get what i want and I am starting to think maybe it would have been better if I kept it simple and accepted mid hifi set up like the fiio or ibasso

Aug 19, 2014 at 11:55 AM Post #7,691 of 15,694
  The Audiophilleo AP1 & PP has arrived, initial impressions are that the sound has lost all trace of any harshness. The music arrives out a black background.

The cabling is a mess though, can I use a S/PDIF cable instead of going direct, any loss of SQ?

to me this setup defies the purpose of the hugo what a stack that would make 

Aug 19, 2014 at 12:02 PM Post #7,692 of 15,694
I meant to remove the wa6 out of the equation if u feel lcdxc r adqueately driven from hugo (power wise)...then roll the headphone cables to remove the "harshness"?

what duo mean by roll the headphone cables 

Aug 19, 2014 at 12:05 PM Post #7,693 of 15,694
This would be for use at home for ultimate listening pleasure
smily_headphones1.gif
- for on the road Hugo without the AP + PP

I did hope that an AP (or Audiobyte Hydra) would NOT be necessary. Or in other words that there would not be a difference in SQ between Hugo and Hugo + AP;
But unfortunately the difference is quite obvious and worth the effort for those who can hear it  .....

Aug 19, 2014 at 12:08 PM Post #7,694 of 15,694
what duo mean by roll the headphone cables 
Swap the stock cable for a different one :)

By example, the Fidelio X1 I picked up today has a notorious cable, so within about 5 minutes of getting home, swapped it for that that came with the Sony MDR-Z1000 - lifted the treble, and tightened the bass...

As an aside, in your quest for better full sized sound, you should definitely put the Fidelio X1 on your (to make this contextually correct) listen to list - roughly same mids / treble as LCD2, but much more prominent / deeper bass

Aug 19, 2014 at 12:22 PM Post #7,695 of 15,694
Swap the stock cable for a different one
smily_headphones1.gif

By example, the Fidelio X1 I picked up today has a notorious cable, so within about 5 minutes of getting home, swapped it for that that came with the Sony MDR-Z1000 - lifted the treble, and tightened the bass...

As an aside, in your quest for better full sized sound, you should definitely put the Fidelio X1 on your (to make this contextually correct) listen to list - roughly same mids / treble as LCD2, but much more prominent / deeper bass

i will wait for the fidelio x2 also i considered vmoda m100 

i wish i can test the vmoda 100 as i read only good things about it

so i will wait until the x2 gets released then ask some who can compare it to the vmoda 100

lets see when i will stop spending money on this expensive hobby but i blame mostly my issues with dam bad recording qualities from artists i like especially synth pop and dark wave artists are recording rubbish music quality maybe i should start listening to justin bieber :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back