Chord Hugo
Jul 3, 2014 at 12:37 PM Post #6,001 of 15,694
is there such a cable as lightning to micro usb, so i can use it instead of having to use cck

Jul 3, 2014 at 12:39 PM Post #6,002 of 15,694
Not that I know of but the adaptor I think is more than just a cable

Jul 3, 2014 at 1:00 PM Post #6,003 of 15,694
is there such a cable as lightning to micro usb, so i can use it instead of having to use cck

You have to license and pay apple to be legally allowed to access raw data. Apple does actively enforce this and have been tougher in licensing the right to bypass the dac since they came up with cck. Typical apple BS. On top of that, you then need some kind of micro connector which is non standard for usb even by the usb to go standard. The sad thing is that it is technically trivial to make such a cable. It's just the legal and standards that are hindering things. So your best bet if you want such a cable, you need to find a small maker of cables with experience with usb and apple to make you one under the table. I seem to remember a couple of cable makers of the right kind earlier in the thread but no idea if they have access to lightning connectors. I doubt you will see any larger usb cable manufacturer come up with one anytime soon. Sorry. Might have to do cck and very short usb to micro.

Jul 3, 2014 at 1:34 PM Post #6,004 of 15,694
  Ordered a Hugo from my favourite dealer yesterday. Looking forward to trying my LCD2s with it. 

My current portable cans are B&W P7. These sound great direct from my ZX1 but should I consider trading in for something Hugo compliments more? 

What are the best closed back headphones for Hugo under £500/$800? Preferably something that is also sensitive enough to work with just the ZX1.

I hear a lot of happy Momentum owners in here and not so many P7.

Cheers.

Momentum is simply magic with Hugo. The sound is so rich and bass is amazing. They are perfect together. That said, I also really liked my friend's Focal Spirit Classic with Hugo a lot, but it was a more neutral and audiophile sound whereas Momentum was more fun. You should try them both, I think.

Also people say KEF M500 is great but I haven't had the chance to try it yet.

Jul 3, 2014 at 1:40 PM Post #6,005 of 15,694
  Ordered a Hugo from my favourite dealer yesterday. Looking forward to trying my LCD2s with it. 

My current portable cans are B&W P7. These sound great direct from my ZX1 but should I consider trading in for something Hugo compliments more? 

What are the best closed back headphones for Hugo under £500/$800? Preferably something that is also sensitive enough to work with just the ZX1.

I hear a lot of happy Momentum owners in here and not so many P7.

Cheers.

I've never been very happy with my Momentum.  Always found it to be muddy on the low end with recessed mids and rolled-off highs.  Turns out that it seems to pair well with the Hugo.  The bass seems to firm up, the mids seem more there and the highs less rolled-off.  Still can't say that they're the ultimate closed-back pairing with the Hugo, but it does kind of bring them more back to life.

Jul 3, 2014 at 1:54 PM Post #6,007 of 15,694

Doh really Ted..... I must have had such a bad day to not even read properly.... or I didn't stay at a holiday inn last nite
tongue.gif
..... Was just feeling if he can't get it even with Rob's earliervery  detailed and very laymen responses, either he's really really new to these digital audio concepts (or math/physics in general), or he really woke up from the wrong side of the bed, or he is just being difficult.  Or maybe I wasn't awake enough to forgot I was once an engineer and may take certain things for granted.... yea probably that.

@RoundRound my apologies to probably misread you.  

Sure,
no worries :wink:

Jul 3, 2014 at 2:06 PM Post #6,008 of 15,694

I've never been very happy with my Momentum.  Always found it to be muddy on the low end with recessed mids and rolled-off highs.  Turns out that it seems to pair well with the Hugo.  The bass seems to firm up, the mids seem more there and the highs less rolled-off.  Still can't say that they're the ultimate closed-back pairing with the Hugo, but it does kind of bring them more back to life.

Momentums are great "lifestyle" headphones, but I think the ultimate closed-back title goes to Fostex TH900 which some people report as a good pairing with Hugo.

By the way I agree with you on rolled-off highs and I like this about Momentum, I can't stand too much treble. That said, I disagree about mids, I think Momentum has lovely mids and a solid low end.

Jul 3, 2014 at 2:12 PM Post #6,009 of 15,694

Momentums are great "lifestyle" headphones, but I think the ultimate closed-back title goes to Fostex TH900 which some people report as a good pairing with Hugo.

By the way I agree with you on rolled-off highs and I like this about Momentum, I can't stand too much treble. That said, I disagree about mids, I think Momentum has lovely mids and a solid low end.

TH900 is definitely a pairing that I'd like to try some day - not sure when that'll happen though!

Jul 3, 2014 at 2:32 PM Post #6,010 of 15,694
i can't find a coaxial cable short to fit hugo and ends in 3,5 mm to connect to coax of fiio x5 that is reasonably priced with 50 usd any help ( very short one )

Jul 3, 2014 at 3:06 PM Post #6,011 of 15,694
Lightharmonic's davinci use R2R for PCM.
It's said in the product page(http://www.lightharmonic.com/davinci.html).

Owl dude is correct. There's a lot of myth passing off as fact. The DaVinci is a great DAC, but it is arguable whether or not a discrete ladder dac (as opposed to a chip) has any concrete advantages other than the control of precision resistors - which, btw, can be had with common chips. In all matters audio, especially when high prices are charged, we get a lot of hype. Take this from the DaVinci webpage.

"Advanced computer simulations and PCB modeling ensures that the transmission length of each digital audio signal is identical, with a maximum possible error of one one-thousandth of an inch."

This is the first time I read about jitter or other electrical phenomenon measured in inches, but be as it may. We are not, believe it or not, speaking about speakers.

What next? Sheetrock measured in resistance?

One does not need "advanced computer simulations"  to determine the transmission length of digital signals, various measurements can do that in real time.

What the expensive DACs provide is not "better" performance either in the digital or analog domain (although some will), but rather a fancy milled chassis, fancier power supplies, dozens of regulators, fantastic displays, so forth.

That, specifically is why I trust blind tests  -- blind testing that can be repeated, controlled, and corroborated. Yeah, yeah, I am aware of all the arguments against blind testing. I wrote for the major proponent of those arguments. They happen to be in the business of selling audio gear (through adverts) on hype after all. I was in the business of helping them do it better.

Jul 3, 2014 at 3:08 PM Post #6,012 of 15,694

I have both the 650's and Audeze LCD X's.  No comparison, the X's blow away the 650's in my opinion.  Of course at 5 times the cost I paid for the 650's, the X's are in my opinion the go to headphones paired with the Hugo.  The detail and stage presentation are like being there, Live.

What I love about the Hugo is that in combination with quality cans such as the X's, you probably equal some of the best sound systems in any combination on the market today and all you need is two pieces along with your PC/existing play back device.
So for roughly 4K you've got reference sound second to none?  Simplicity and quality, two of my favorite objectives.

Bulls Eye!

Jul 3, 2014 at 3:13 PM Post #6,013 of 15,694
Owl dude is correct. There's a lot of myth passing off as fact. The DaVinci is a great DAC, but it is arguable whether or not a discrete ladder dac (as opposed to a chip) has any concrete advantages other than the control of precision resistors - which, btw, can be had with common chips. In all matters audio, especially when high prices are charged, we get a lot of hype. Take this from the DaVinci webpage.

"Advanced computer simulations and PCB modeling ensures that the transmission length of each digital audio signal is identical, with a maximum possible error of one one-thousandth of an inch."

This is the first time I read about jitter or other electrical phenomenon measured in inches, but be as it may. We are not, believe it or not, speaking about speakers.

What next? Sheetrock measured in resistance?

One does not need "advanced computer simulations"  to determine the transmission length of digital signals, various measurements can do that in real time.

What the expensive DACs provide is not "better" performance either in the digital or analog domain (although some will), but rather a fancy milled chassis, fancier power supplies, dozens of regulators, fantastic displays, so forth.

I do not think the MSB DAC is any different as well . I have no idea what is in there and the psu,s added are way above my pay grade too. Supposedly they make products for other companies as well.
Al

Jul 3, 2014 at 3:41 PM Post #6,014 of 15,694
I was completely joking. And this stuff as I do understand some of it. Is way above me caring. What I really care about us te music and how my brain reacts to it.
The how and why us cool but if I cannot make money knowing it why would I care enough to learn so many types of concepts.

Anyway. The disk I posted shows the high quality of the Hugo as anyone who has a few dacs can play it with them and clearly hear the better reproductions.
And agb. I am glade you line the music.
If you wish post your findings and we can discuss the sound reg the Hugo
Al

Al, in the private you may have misunderstood me. I heard the music on MP3 file from Amazon over the internet. I bought the CD you recommended and am awaiting its delivery, but won't hear it for a while with the Hugo.

Jul 3, 2014 at 3:48 PM Post #6,015 of 15,694
Just a heads up guys. I'll be off these posts for a long time starting in a couple of days, so don't look for me. Thanks. I may post a few more, but that'll be it for a while.

Great talking to you all, enjoy wherever You Go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back