Chord Hugo
Jul 3, 2014 at 10:03 PM Post #6,032 of 15,694
With all this craze about Hugo being thin, bright, etc etc etc lately , I have finally found a local hifi shop today to demo the Hugo. Many late forum members who have posted on this thread knows how skeptical I was with the Hugo if you scroll back 40-50 pages of recent posts on this thread. (Maybe more because this thread is very active)

Anyway, from the 7-8 songs I have demoed, Hugo sounded very good indeed. No brightness at all, very neutral and bass was tight and controlled. Vocals sounded great with immediacy and a little sweet. Was really great to listen to Hugo. Very clear and instruments had their own space and air.

All in all, a very good dac and I've purchased one. I really don't think anyone will miss out on music with this dac.

Happy listening and good job Rob Watts! :D

Jul 3, 2014 at 11:14 PM Post #6,033 of 15,694
With all this craze about Hugo being thin, bright, etc etc etc lately , I have finally found a local hifi shop today to demo the Hugo. Many late forum members who have posted on this thread knows how skeptical I was with the Hugo if you scroll back 40-50 pages of recent posts on this thread. (Maybe more because this thread is very active)

Anyway, from the 7-8 songs I have demoed, Hugo sounded very good indeed. No brightness at all, very neutral and bass was tight and controlled. Vocals sounded great with immediacy and a little sweet. Was really great to listen to Hugo. Very clear and instruments had their own space and air.

All in all, a very good dac and I've purchased one. I really don't think anyone will miss out on music with this dac.

Happy listening and good job Rob Watts! :D

Congrats and welcome to the club! Seems those who had demo'ed eventually bought one. And I think the more DAC one had been thru, the more impressed he/she would be by this little thing.

Jul 4, 2014 at 12:49 AM Post #6,035 of 15,694
Ordered a Hugo from my favourite dealer yesterday. Looking forward to trying my LCD2s with it. 

My current portable cans are B&W P7. These sound great direct from my ZX1 but should I consider trading in for something Hugo compliments more? 

What are the best closed back headphones for Hugo under £500/$800? Preferably something that is also sensitive enough to work with just the ZX1.

I hear a lot of happy Momentum owners in here and not so many P7.

Cheers.

I have the akg k545. Sounds great with the Hugo. Very full, musical, and engaging. You can always bring your Hugo to Bestbuy or other places to try a variety of closed back headphones.

Jul 4, 2014 at 2:11 AM Post #6,036 of 15,694

Happy listening and good job Rob Watts!
biggrin.gif

Wait - roughly a hundred posts in this thread and you've only just heard the Hugo ? I'm all for research and a healthy degree of skepticism but that's way OTT. As for forum members being 'late', I agree that it's been tough keeping up with the rollercoaster but I'm reasonably confident that they're still in the land of the living even if one of us gives the impression that he may be more code than flesh and blood. Open the pod bay door, Al  :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSIKBliboIo

Jul 4, 2014 at 2:39 AM Post #6,037 of 15,694
With all this craze about Hugo being thin, bright, etc etc etc lately , I have finally found a local hifi shop today to demo the Hugo.With all this craze about Hugo being thin, bright, etc etc etc lately

Probably understandable anxiety over money so any reason not to buy gets critiqued to the nth degree and even more so as the site has grown.

Always important to demo as the only ears that matters is yours. Even with that said, it's not hard to filter out the isolated reviews. Example you might not like their house sound but most would not relate to the single forum review saying the SE846 has recessed mids.

I don't even particularly think people know what brightness means. Badly implemented treble [and treble extension] or that which is not to your taste is not the same as to say the tonal balance is bright yet the label gets thrown out there like popcorn. We do not live in a land of bright kit when we know consumer preference is the other direction

Jul 4, 2014 at 3:34 AM Post #6,038 of 15,694
Wait - roughly a hundred posts in this thread and you've only just heard the Hugo ?

lol but gotta give the guy some credit! Afterall, he bought it on the spot after hearing it! :)

Jul 4, 2014 at 4:16 AM Post #6,039 of 15,694

I'm quietly confident that Lukasz - for all his rants about 'only German dentists can afford my competition' - will get to that level within 2 years. He's probably already done one-off DACs in that vicinity for folk with the money to throw at a cost-no-object DAC.

No, he likely wont. It's against his basic nature. He is an audiphile first and foremost and would love if all music lovers who wanted to could afford one of his creations. I know some dealers who flat out tell me their clients are not audiophiles, but "jewelry" buyers. Lukasz sells only to audiophiles as he Dac can never be mistaken for jewelry! LoL

Jul 4, 2014 at 5:21 AM Post #6,040 of 15,694
I have the akg k545. Sounds great with the Hugo. Very full, musical, and engaging. You can always bring your Hugo to Bestbuy or other places to try a variety of closed back headphones.

Hate to say it. If I was looking for closed back and portable headphone, I would just go iem or ciem. Can't beat it for portability and isolation. And they are making great strides with the multi arm designs and hybrid ones. Just ordered the tralucent ref1. Hope it is a good as it is interesting design. Hugo not getting as much use with the big headphones I have at home. Hugo needs to move and wants the right partner in crime.

Jul 4, 2014 at 6:17 AM Post #6,042 of 15,694

You've never heard hirez surround music then.  You are missing out.  I have an exaSound e28 that does 5.1 DSD (and 24/384) and a prototype stack of 3 Myteks, but a stack of Hugos would be quite something. 

We ain't talking movies....  :)

Very true.  We're not talking movies, but some amazing music in 5.1 Multichannel DSD.  Time will tell if exaSound gets some competition in the Multichannel DSD market.  For now, the e28 is the go-to DAC for Multichannel DSD in the home.

Jul 4, 2014 at 7:41 AM Post #6,043 of 15,694
dCS
http://www.dcsltd.co.uk/technology/digital-processing-platform/

All different companies and differnt parts of the world LoL

One commonality, all out of my budget :frowning2:

I was talking to a Pro-Audio Edd last night about the new crap Neil Young album (if you buy it you're a mug imho), the conversation moved on to his new much hyped pony pono device, Edd suggested it has a great DAC so could be a great DAP. I kinda agreed with his sentiment but I pointed out a few things to bring a bit of reality to the proceedings, firstly it won't connect to the Hugo (major oversight imo but I suppose crowd-funding has its limitations), secondly the shape is a disaster waiting to happen, you put this thing in your front jeans/trouser pocket when out & about and you could be up to get arrested as it will look like you have an erection, I'm certainly not up for being labelled as a sexual predator because Mr Young is promoting one of his stage props. I guess the real crux of our convo was about the old Arcam Alpha-9 CD-Player that featured the dCS ring-dac and cost about £900 back in the late '90's, how things have moved on now that Arcam no longer uses it and dCS now produce their version of the much heralded Alpha-9 but charge a lottery winners price for it, there's an irony within the hi-fi industry I guess.

talking of irony... Neil Young preaches audio quality which is what the Pono is meant to be all about, the same Artist then releases the worst album of 'covers' which has dire production methods and sounds bloody awful... guess it must be because he's skint, if you want to hear music recorded from a bygone era invest in some Woody Guthrie albums, remarkable stuff for sure and should  sound pretty awesome on the Hugo.

Jul 4, 2014 at 7:50 AM Post #6,044 of 15,694

Wait - roughly a hundred posts in this thread and you've only just heard the Hugo ?

c'mon have some heart... we were all virgins once and not everyone reads Head-Fi or buys the magazines... he could of just walked into Custom-Cables and bumped into Phil, nightmare for his wallet obviously but hey he has been richly rewarded with musical nirvana & links to Head-Fi... the network is working.

Jul 4, 2014 at 8:00 AM Post #6,045 of 15,694
Wait - roughly a hundred posts in this thread and you've only just heard the Hugo ? I'm all for research and a healthy degree of skepticism but that's way OTT. As for forum members being 'late', I agree that it's been tough keeping up with the rollercoaster but I'm reasonably confident that they're still in the land of the living even if one of us gives the impression that he may be more code than flesh and blood. Open the pod bay door, Al  :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSIKBliboIo

Funny , but in the movie the movie he never dies open the door. Great clip .
Al

Users who are viewing this thread

Back