Chord Hugo
Jul 4, 2014 at 8:03 AM Post #6,046 of 15,694
U know guys i just bought Hugo after auditioning at the shop...and I thought its really awesome to listen to good sound on the go and plug it in the home rig to enjoy musi
But little did I know...i got to learn about stock dac chip vs custom FPGA CHIP, tap length, digital audio history, expensive DAC i overheard in others conversation, RF noise from this thread... This forum is pretty awesome

Jul 4, 2014 at 8:06 AM Post #6,047 of 15,694
No, he likely wont. It's against his basic nature. He is an audiphile first and foremost and would love if all music lovers who wanted to could afford one of his creations. I know some dealers who flat out tell me their clients are not audiophiles, but "jewelry" buyers. Lukasz sells only to audiophiles as he Dac can never be mistaken for jewelry! LoL

I agree with winsin. The little I know of him it appears it's much about audio than money. Besides the fact the B7 could easily be much more money in the future and I am glad I bought in now. To hear it is to understand what's missing in every thing else you have had before. It's just like have a ticket to the recording studio of every bit of music you have .
Al

Jul 4, 2014 at 8:26 AM Post #6,048 of 15,694
I was talking to a Pro-Audio Edd last night about the new crap Neil Young album (if you buy it you're a mug imho), the conversation moved on to his new much hyped pony pono device, Edd suggested it has a great DAC so could be a great DAP. I kinda agreed with his sentiment but I pointed out a few things to bring a bit of reality to the proceedings, firstly it won't connect to the Hugo (major oversight imo but I suppose crowd-funding has its limitations), secondly the shape is a disaster waiting to happen, you put this thing in your front jeans/trouser pocket when out & about and you could be up to get arrested as it will look like you have an erection, I'm certainly not up for being labelled as a sexual predator because Mr Young is promoting one of his stage props. I guess the real crux of our convo was about the old Arcam Alpha-9 CD-Player that featured the dCS ring-dac and cost about £900 back in the late '90's, how things have moved on now that Arcam no longer uses it and dCS now produce their version of the much heralded Alpha-9 but charge a lottery winners price for it, there's an irony within the hi-fi industry I guess.

talking of irony... Neil Young preaches audio quality which is what the Pono is meant to be all about, the same Artist then releases the worst album of 'covers' which has dire production methods and sounds bloody awful... guess it must be because he's skint, if you want to hear music recorded from a bygone era invest in some Woody Guthrie albums, remarkable stuff for sure and should  sound pretty awesome on the Hugo.

Are you referring to this new album release
http://www.amazon.com/Live-At-The-Cellar-Door/dp/B00G34XP3Q/ref=ntt_mus_ep_dpi_2

?????

Jul 4, 2014 at 9:11 AM Post #6,051 of 15,694
Oh I misunderstood then , thanks. The one live at the cellar door was very good .

OT. Do you hear a different in ripped cd,s over playing the original cd. I am referring to red book not sacd,s ??
Al

Jul 4, 2014 at 9:31 AM Post #6,053 of 15,694
I agree with winsin. The little I know of him it appears it's much about audio than money. Besides the fact the B7 could easily be much more money in the future and I am glad I bought in now. To hear it is to understand what's missing in every thing else you have had before. It's just like have a ticket to the recording studio of every bit of music you have .
Al

Same with Rob Watts here. He is on record as saying that this is not where the bulk of his income comes from. He does this for fun as he wants to create equipment he can use and enjoy personally. That means he has funneled his PASSION into these developments for the benefits of everyone and it is commendable that the Hugo is the first released Spartan 6 Dac, despite it being VERY affordable by Chord Standards.

People may think they are being a Chord, but really are buying into a Rob Watts creation andf investing/trusting in his creativity. The passion cannot be hidden.
I have a Qute and I got it sans audition due to the research I did on Watts Transient Aligned filter tech and the Pulse Array Dac tech. Ther are always several ways to achied objectives in audio design. His ways are usually very intriguing.

Rob is rightly bashful to say this, so I will. He is one of the envelope pushers.

Jul 4, 2014 at 10:28 AM Post #6,054 of 15,694
  No, that is not his latest.....the one he recorded in Jack White's phono booth.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Letter_Home

that's the one Al.

Quote:
  But the new phone booth album's sound quality pretty bad no? 

it's dog-turd SQ wise and petty much self-indulgent twaddle imo... even my 655 headphones are refusing to go onto Spotify until the pc agrees a 'no play' clause.

Jul 4, 2014 at 10:59 AM Post #6,055 of 15,694
  No, he likely wont. It's against his basic nature. He is an audiphile first and foremost and would love if all music lovers who wanted to could afford one of his creations. I know some dealers who flat out tell me their clients are not audiophiles, but "jewelry" buyers. Lukasz sells only to audiophiles as he Dac can never be mistaken for jewelry! LoL

To his credit, he's now offering the Amber at 1200Euro, but all the talk here has been around the Big7 - thats 6900Euro before options. Not small change to most of the folk on this board even if the money is in everything-but-the-jewelry Add the dealer markup you'd be paying if he didnt sell direct and it rapidly becomes one expensive, if somewhat plain, box of tricks. Nelson Pass just released a seriously expensive pre/power combination but very few in the industry would accuse him of selling 'style without substance' - they all seem to reach a point where they need to big sticker to impress people who find that 'reassuringly expensive'. 

Jul 4, 2014 at 11:16 AM Post #6,056 of 15,694
Lukasz sells a mixture of direct and thru dealers. All at roughly the same end user price.

The input cost in terms for BOM and labour on the Big 7 is outragous and I doubt he is making money of it yet. The EML 45 triodes alone... I dont think there will be a Big 8, but one never knows.

I agree there is customer pressure for a flagship though and you will s one from Chord soon too, based on the Hugo digital engine.

Jul 4, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #6,057 of 15,694
Hugo seems to be very sensitive to the source player. 

I like Spotify premium, but I can't listen to Audirvana on my Macbook for very long. It just sounds bright and fatiguing. 

Anyone find an OS X setup they like?

Jul 4, 2014 at 12:11 PM Post #6,059 of 15,694
Oh STOP do not say there is anything wrong with my hugo. Hahahaha. Welcome to digital audio it did the same to me. It also sounds better on my iphone 5 then my iMac.
It does sound better on my surface pro. And I have other dacs that do far better in the iMac. Aurdivana plus . Enjoy it how it sounds the best. I once asked someone I have a high regard for about a good usb cable for the mobile only purposes . For me subways and CIEM,s. Anyway I got told its a subway why bother hahahaha. In away its true but in another way it's our choices to be made . It's all good in the end as long as our intent is to help and not hurtful. As such when someone says try this over that and states do not be offended why would you .
Al

Jul 4, 2014 at 12:14 PM Post #6,060 of 15,694
Oh STOP do not say there is anything wrong with my hugo. Hahahaha. Welcome to digital audio it did the same to me. It also sounds better on my iphone 5 then my iMac.
It does sound better on my surface pro. And I have other dacs that do far better in the iMac. Aurdivana plus . Enjoy it how it sounds the best. I once asked someone I have a high regard for about a good usb cable for the mobile only purposes . For me subways and CIEM,s. Anyway I got told its a subway why bother hahahaha. In away its true but in another way it's our choices to be made . It's all good in the end as long as our intent is to help and not hurtful. As such when someone says try this over that and states do not be offended why would you .
Al

Al, you mentioned that the Hugo is sometimes bright.
You should try the new Amarra Version, 3.0. I'am lovin it at the moment. Paired with the Hugo its really exceptional, maybe not at the first auditioning when switching from Audirvana but after a couple of tracks and careful listening. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back