Chord Hugo
Jul 3, 2014 at 4:13 PM Post #6,017 of 15,694
Owl dude is correct. There's a lot of myth passing off as fact. The DaVinci is a great DAC, but it is arguable whether or not a discrete ladder dac (as opposed to a chip) has any concrete advantages other than the control of precision resistors - which, btw, can be had with common chips. In all matters audio, especially when high prices are charged, we get a lot of hype. Take this from the DaVinci webpage.

"Advanced computer simulations and PCB modeling ensures that the transmission length of each digital audio signal is identical, with a maximum possible error of one one-thousandth of an inch."

This is the first time I read about jitter or other electrical phenomenon measured in inches, but be as it may. We are not, believe it or not, speaking about speakers.

What next? Sheetrock measured in resistance?

One does not need "advanced computer simulations"  to determine the transmission length of digital signals, various measurements can do that in real time.

What the expensive DACs provide is not "better" performance either in the digital or analog domain (although some will), but rather a fancy milled chassis, fancier power supplies, dozens of regulators, fantastic displays, so forth.

That, specifically is why I trust blind tests  -- blind testing that can be repeated, controlled, and corroborated. Yeah, yeah, I am aware of all the arguments against blind testing. I wrote for the major proponent of those arguments. They happen to be in the business of selling audio gear (through adverts) on hype after all. I was in the business of helping them do it better.

Well, I think their idea on not using digital filter to eliminate pre ring and post ring is interesting, there are a lot of marketing talk in the page though.

Jul 3, 2014 at 4:25 PM Post #6,018 of 15,694
Well, I think their idea on not using digital filter to eliminate pre ring and post ring is interesting, there are a lot of marketing talk in the page though.

basically what they're saying is that they think they've got the L-R balance sorted and they can prove it if your speaker cables are the same length... notice they have a 'get out of jail free' card if one cable is longer than the other by 1/1000th of a inch.... clever these marketing guys.

Jul 3, 2014 at 4:29 PM Post #6,019 of 15,694
How much us that DAC anyway ??
There is a trinity DAC only does PCM no DSD and it is 50k or so
Al

Jul 3, 2014 at 8:13 PM Post #6,022 of 15,694
dCS
http://www.dcsltd.co.uk/technology/digital-processing-platform/

LH Davinci
http://www.lightharmonic.com/davinci.html#

Trinity
http://www.trinity-ed.de/typo/index.php?id=12&L=1

All different companies and differnt parts of the world LoL

One commonality, all out of my budget :frowning2:

Jul 3, 2014 at 8:16 PM Post #6,023 of 15,694
You are a busy person. Cool stuff to read.

The hugo is very good. And affordable. I just hate it when people say it cures cancer and makes coffee.
Al

Jul 3, 2014 at 8:28 PM Post #6,024 of 15,694
You are a busy person. Cool stuff to read.

The hugo is very good. And affordable. I just hate it when people say it cures cancer and makes coffee.
Al

No worries, Al
Doesnt bother me much..
I just listened to Hugo on my way to work...something that 5-figures DAC does not allow u to do.. LOL

Jul 3, 2014 at 8:33 PM Post #6,025 of 15,694
Very good example. I think the big names in dacs have issues now as the dacs for a fraction now give about the same performance . Not all but a few for sure. But there will always be a place for the ultra rich to spend there mine yo them. The lampizator B7 is so good if I had it in would not have bought a msb. Funny they are both butt ugly too
Al

Jul 3, 2014 at 8:47 PM Post #6,026 of 15,694
No worries, Al
Doesnt bother me much..
I just listened to Hugo on my way to work...something that 5-figures DAC does not allow u to do.. LOL

Lol same here my man.... Hugo is the only thing that makes rush hour train rides bearable!

Jul 3, 2014 at 8:49 PM Post #6,027 of 15,694
  Da Vinci?  $20K.  get two, they're small.

I'm quietly confident that Lukasz - for all his rants about 'only German dentists can afford my competition' - will get to that level within 2 years. He's probably already done one-off DACs in that vicinity for folk with the money to throw at a cost-no-object DAC. 

Jul 3, 2014 at 8:56 PM Post #6,028 of 15,694
Who knows but his DAC is very good that I am sure of. I waited months for it and it was truly worth the wait. In use mu Hugo daily on the trains it's the best I have heard for this purpose .
Al

Jul 3, 2014 at 9:11 PM Post #6,029 of 15,694
actually, my price was wrong on the Da Vinci, it's $31K  

http://www.forbes.com/sites/forbeslifestyle/2014/03/31/supersized-sound-from-davincis-31000-dual-dac/

I think you need a few Al - one for the bedroom, kitchen and big rig!  
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back