Chord Hugo
Jul 3, 2014 at 9:04 AM Post #5,986 of 15,694

That last statement has me wondering if you understand the difference between a DAC and a DAP although I will concede that the addition of very subtle crossfeed settings may have some confused. The Digizoid ZO2 is the only device I've encountered that allows users to mess with the bass boost and its a gimmicky toy compared to the Hugo. We've been gifted a Porsche with a Toyota sticker price and you're telling me you'd prefer it if it had a pair of subwoofers in the trunk ?  Rob wasnt contracted to pimp anyone's ride  :wink:

i am intelligent more than you might think, and I know enough difference, why i said i d like a bass boost is my choice to say so, like for example venture craft go dap has bass boost, also ifi ican nano has bass boost and 3d effect.

i don't see what so strange in my question that made you start to show off your intelligence 

Jul 3, 2014 at 9:07 AM Post #5,987 of 15,694
" :wink: " my gosh... really trying hard to be a smart alec aren't you!

I'm amaze Rob would waste his time trying to explain things to someone who can't or don't want to learn at all.

I think you have totally misread Round's attitude.  He and Rob are in a nice educational conversation, and his follow-up question about "how does it know, and what does it add" is a very logical and appropriate one for someone getting educated.  I am sitting on the sidelines loving this education, cuz I can't hear it enough (thick brain).

Jul 3, 2014 at 9:11 AM Post #5,988 of 15,694
i want to ask about the micro usb to micro usb cable included with chord hugo box

i tried connecting one end to the hugo and the other directly to my android phone, why can't i hear sound coming through

Jul 3, 2014 at 9:26 AM Post #5,989 of 15,694
  i want to ask about the micro usb to micro usb cable included with chord hugo box

i tried connecting one end to the hugo and the other directly to my android phone, why can't i hear sound coming through

it seems need to use usb audio player pro UAPP for some android phones... u can get a free trial and test both SD and HD ports

Jul 3, 2014 at 9:26 AM Post #5,990 of 15,694
  The maths gives us an answer - so long as the impulse response of the FIR filter is a sin(x)/x response at FS/2 it will perfectly reconstruct the missing points. But the problem is, that to get a 8 times oversampling filter to have this response to better than 16 bit accuracy, you need getting on for a million taps...

And THAT's where the IP is. LoL

Jul 3, 2014 at 9:27 AM Post #5,991 of 15,694
what Ted said...
beerchug.gif

Jul 3, 2014 at 10:10 AM Post #5,993 of 15,694
  The maths gives us an answer - so long as the impulse response of the FIR filter is a sin(x)/x response at FS/2 it will perfectly reconstruct the missing points. But the problem is, that to get a 8 times oversampling filter to have this response to better than 16 bit accuracy, you need getting on for a million taps...

Super,
that makes sense.

Thanks a million (taps)!

Jul 3, 2014 at 10:53 AM Post #5,995 of 15,694
Thanks Rob,
Maybe I'm not fully awake but I think you've answered my question...

I understand timing is important, I understand the Hugo somehow take those 22u samples and makes them into 4u (by adding an extra 5 'new samples' between the 'old ones?) - what I don't get logically is how can you reconstruct a sound or transient that lasted less than 22u (maybe it's too short for us to even hear?) if it started and ended between two 22u samples?

I love the Hugo and am simply curios, as you can see I have no DSP background and my math is very rusty... :wink:

PS
I think it's incredibly cool you take the time to answer us plebs here - you are a real Mensch!

"As any good engineer will testify, a recording’s transient detail – in other words, the first few milliseconds of sound energy contained in an instrument’s attack phase – forms a defining part of the overall sound quality of a track. This comes as little surprise when you realise just how much auditory information the ear extracts from a transient, with a sound’s complete identity often being formed in a time period as short as three or four milliseconds. "

(from http://www.musictechmag.co.uk/mtm/reviews/transient-modulator)

Since the length of a musical transient is measured in milliseconds, the 44.1 kHz sampling rate (at 22 microsecond intervals) will have sampled the transient sufficiently to allow reconstruction (i.e., a 3 millisecond transient lasts 3000 microseconds so will be sampled 136 times). Also, I doubt that a transient sound of less than 22 us occurs in music.

Remember, this is reconstruction of the original waveform by sophisticated interpolation, and not drawing straight lines between two dots.

The last piece of the quote above is worth repeating : "the sound's complete identity is often being formed in a time period as short as three or four milliseconds". This means then that better reconstruction of the transient should allow the brain to more rapidly identify the instrument. This concurs with my experience of the Hugo ; instrumental timbre is more convincingly portrayed than anything else I've heard up to now and it shows up across the board, including bass instruments. My speakers and headphones seemed to have gained an extra octave in the bass, but more importantly, far better definition throughout the bass region.

Jan

Jul 3, 2014 at 11:50 AM Post #5,997 of 15,694
Nice introductory read:

INTRODUCTION TO DIGITAL FILTERS WITH AUDIO APPLICATIONS

https://ccrma.stanford.edu/~jos/filters/filters.html

Jul 3, 2014 at 12:02 PM Post #5,998 of 15,694

I think you have totally misread Round's attitude.  He and Rob are in a nice educational conversation, and his follow-up question about "how does it know, and what does it add" is a very logical and appropriate one for someone getting educated.  I am sitting on the sidelines loving this education, cuz I can't hear it enough (thick brain).

Doh really Ted..... I must have had such a bad day to not even read properly.... or I didn't stay at a holiday inn last nite
tongue.gif
..... Was just feeling if he can't get it even with Rob's earliervery  detailed and very laymen responses, either he's really really new to these digital audio concepts (or math/physics in general), or he really woke up from the wrong side of the bed, or he is just being difficult.  Or maybe I wasn't awake enough to forgot I was once an engineer and may take certain things for granted.... yea probably that.

@RoundRound my apologies to probably misread you.  

Jul 3, 2014 at 12:21 PM Post #5,999 of 15,694
I was completely joking. And this stuff as I do understand some of it. Is way above me caring. What I really care about us te music and how my brain reacts to it.
The how and why us cool but if I cannot make money knowing it why would I care enough to learn so many types of concepts.

Anyway. The disk I posted shows the high quality of the Hugo as anyone who has a few dacs can play it with them and clearly hear the better reproductions.
And agb. I am glade you line the music.
If you wish post your findings and we can discuss the sound reg the Hugo
Al

Jul 3, 2014 at 12:37 PM Post #6,000 of 15,694
Ordered a Hugo from my favourite dealer yesterday. Looking forward to trying my LCD2s with it. 

My current portable cans are B&W P7. These sound great direct from my ZX1 but should I consider trading in for something Hugo compliments more? 

What are the best closed back headphones for Hugo under £500/$800? Preferably something that is also sensitive enough to work with just the ZX1.

I hear a lot of happy Momentum owners in here and not so many P7.

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back