Chord Hugo
Jun 25, 2014 at 3:48 PM Post #5,641 of 15,694
Robb Watts I have to give you all my admiration for this amazing device its simply beyond I imagined and I love my music again 

I can't believe hugo amazing everything sounds

Jun 25, 2014 at 4:24 PM Post #5,642 of 15,694
Electric guitar sounds amazing on Hugo-HD650 duo. Santana's work really shines. Very analogue, vinyl-like sound. I wish Sennheiser hurries up and releases HD850 soon.

Jun 25, 2014 at 4:55 PM Post #5,643 of 15,694
Is there any difference between connecting Hugo to the USB2 port or USB3?

What do you guys think about the usb cable that comes with Hugo? I think it's a bit low quality. What do you prefer instead?
Chord provide no less than three USB and three optical cables and an adapter that all work well. These are in the box as supplied I'm sure they do this just so that you can get going with the product. Of course you can buy expensive cables and some are great but some may not actually work any better than the supplied types and may be worse in fact.

Jun 25, 2014 at 5:00 PM Post #5,644 of 15,694
Great review of the Hugo in UK's HiFi Choice magazine including background on Rob Watt's work with Chord and an interview with the man himself:

http://www.hifichoice.co.uk/news/article/chord-hugo/18574/

I don't think I allowed to copy and paste the article so you'll have to get hold of a copy (also available on Zinio for those outside the UK)

The review is glowing and gives the Hugo 5 stars in every category and calls it a game changer.

Jun 25, 2014 at 6:36 PM Post #5,645 of 15,694
Great review of the Hugo in UK's HiFi Choice magazine including background on Rob Watt's work with Chord and an interview with the man himself:

http://www.hifichoice.co.uk/news/article/chord-hugo/18574/

I don't think I allowed to copy and paste the article so you'll have to get hold of a copy (also available on Zinio for those outside the UK)

The review is glowing and gives the Hugo 5 stars in every category and calls it a game changer.

The review is up on Chord's website, and was linked by OK-Guy back on post 5102 (page 341, which is 36 pages ago...and yet less than a week ago...LOL).  Thx

Originally Posted by OK-Guy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

just saw this on the Chord website, this review really does do the Hugo justice, if ever you needed to justify wanting a Hugo... great read this:-

Link: http://www.chordelectronics.co.uk/files/Hugo%20Hi%20Fi%20Choice%20July%202014.pdf

Jun 25, 2014 at 7:50 PM Post #5,648 of 15,694
The review is up on Chord's website, and was linked by OK-Guy back on post 5102 (page 341, which is 36 pages ago...and yet less than a week ago...LOL).  Thx

Originally Posted by OK-Guy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

just saw this on the Chord website, this review really does do the Hugo justice, if ever you needed to justify wanting a Hugo... great read this:-

Link: http://www.chordelectronics.co.uk/files/Hugo%20Hi%20Fi%20Choice%20July%202014.pdf

Damn I missed this altogether and didnt find it on the Chord website. Doh....

Jun 25, 2014 at 7:56 PM Post #5,649 of 15,694
OK, so I am useless at finding things in this forum from even a few days ago (though in my defence this thread does move along!) so I'll dive in and ask a question which I have not been able to find an answer to. Has anyone tried using the Hugo with 600ohm headphones and in particular the DT880 or DT770 Beyerdynamics?

Jun 25, 2014 at 8:08 PM Post #5,650 of 15,694
OK, so I am useless at finding things in this forum from even a few days ago (though in my defence this thread does move along!) so I'll dive in and ask a question which I have not been able to find an answer to. Has anyone tried using the Hugo with 600ohm headphones and in particular the DT880 or DT770 Beyerdynamics?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/702787/chord-hugo/2955#post_10549498

Jun 25, 2014 at 9:01 PM Post #5,652 of 15,694
Looks like I'll have to use that Audioquest cable with my Leckerton DAC/amp - I'm not going to start hacking at it just to hook it up to the Hugo. Once again, the guys at Chord really need to spend more time when they design these connections - this is the kind of oversight I might have expected from a newbie company in their first year of producing gear - unacceptable from a company that has been in business for as long as Chord. 

Jun 25, 2014 at 9:02 PM Post #5,653 of 15,694
  A few pages back, there was a photo posted with Hugo and what I think was a Shure 846. I would be interesting hearing experiences with this as well as other ToTL Custom or Universal IEM's. 

I have the Hugo and use with my HD800 and Sennheiser Amperior (similar to the Aluminum HD25). The Amperior is my travel headphone and I like the overall tone and presentation. However, it would be nice to travel with a headphone that scales to Hugo capabilities. 

Suggestions? Also would be nice to know if there is an established minimum impedance with Hugo. 

I auditioned the Hugo, using the line out from my DX90 to it and then to my SE846. It sounded great, with awesome bass, clear mids and really defined highs, better than that coming out from the Calyx M which was my target anyway, and destroyed all interest I had in the calyx.

If you're looking for technical terms though, I'm sorry I can't help with that. New to all these so I ain't good with those terms sorry :frowning2:

Jun 25, 2014 at 9:16 PM Post #5,654 of 15,694
  I don't think Justin, Tyll,  Kevin Gilmore, Pete Millet, Ray Samuels or other respected designers would expect this sort of miracle.
I'm just happy that the dac section is remarkable and that the amp is darn good for a portable.  I find a traditional amp is needed to get a firm grip on my phones and take control in a good desktop system.
I like a strong bass foundation, palpable mids, and sweet but extended highs, and that's what a good amp provides.

"Doesn't anyone think it would be unreasonable to expect an amp this small to be a breakthrough and one of the best amps available?"

Well, you might think it's unreasonable, and we're happy you speak for all the others whom are not here to agree with you.

"I'm just happy that the dac section is remarkable and that the amp is darn good for a portable."

Would you be kind enough to let us in on how you had separated the amp from the DAC?

On that note, can you tell us which portable amp is better?

"I like a strong bass foundation, palpable mids, and sweet but extended highs, and that's what a good amp provides"

Meaning that the Hugo does, or does not provide what you like?

Jun 25, 2014 at 9:36 PM Post #5,655 of 15,694
A question for Rob (but open to any Hugo owner),
I may be getting myself wrapped around the axle here (i.e overthinking this) but...I've been reading about a player that has been around for some time, but is getting new press since introducing a Mac version, that is Jussi Lasko's HQplayer.  People are raving about it (a plethora of sophisticated filtering options, etc) and most are using it to upsample redbook to DSD or DSD128, some just to theri DACs highest PCM rate.  Whatever.....this post and question is not about HQplayer but about the ideas of upsampling that are now swirling around my large head and tiny brain.

So we think about the timing prowess of the Hugo, especially when playing back redbook.  Would the Hugo sound as good with redbook sources if one upsampled that redbook to say DSD or DXD?  I would tend to think "no".  I would tend to think that I want Hugo's FPGA technology to see a 16/44.1k music stream and do its magic to it, a magic that clearly is toned down as one moves up the resolution chart (not to say that Hugo is less musical at 24/96...just that it has less alchemy to do..and that alchemy is really something special with redbook)..... I am wondering if hirez would sound better on the Hugo if you first DOWNSAMPLED it.!!!!  Argh.

I may try some of these goofy ideas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back