Chord Hugo
Jun 25, 2014 at 1:28 AM Post #5,611 of 15,694
Finally i got my hugo and so far i amazed by it i just want to ask about the sound effects to be honest i dont hear any diffrrence between them like no difference between them,are those more noticeable with certain file formats, mayabe someone can.explain to me more aboutb the sound effects

Jun 25, 2014 at 1:50 AM Post #5,612 of 15,694
Finally i got my hugo and so far i amazed by it i just want to ask about the sound effects to be honest i dont hear any diffrrence between them like no difference between them,are those more noticeable with certain file formats, mayabe someone can.explain to me more aboutb the sound effects

Congrats, hykhleif!

There is only one sound effect on Hugo, it is the crossfeed effect. It is used for reducing the extreme panning from left to right v. v. for old stereo mixes that recorded each instrument on a distinct Left/Right channel, e.g. 50/60s Jazz recordings. Some people argue crossfeed will reduce the sound dynamic. on the safe side, I try to get the original mono recordings if available. if you do not listen to that kind of music, dont worry about it. This is my understandings of crossfeed, others please chime in....

Jun 25, 2014 at 2:20 AM Post #5,613 of 15,694
Alright, just bought the quteHD back... 
ph34r.gif

It's good to have the choice of two sound flavors 
tongue.gif

Jun 25, 2014 at 2:59 AM Post #5,614 of 15,694
OK - at the risk of outraging the Taurus owners out there, I think I've nailed down my preferred combinations.

The Mac Mini will have to 'make do' with Decibel -> Furutech USB -> HRT microStreamer -> Taurus and that's the combination I want for the HD800, regardless of everything posted here re coloration and distortion. The Hugo just seems to naturally find it's way onto the bed with my laptop and I've got a new Audioquest mini-USB cable incoming : overall I did prefer coax to either Toslink optical or USB but it wasnt a chasm for me. Happy to use the USB in 'transportable' mode by itself with my other cans, and the microStreamer is a much better DAC than it's sticker would suggest - it just isnt in the same league as the Hugo. 

Now if I can just find a use case for these %##@^!  LCD-2s  :wink:

Jun 25, 2014 at 3:30 AM Post #5,615 of 15,694
  OK - at the risk of outraging the Taurus owners out there, I think I've nailed down my preferred combinations.

The Mac Mini will have to 'make do' with Decibel -> Furutech USB -> HRT microStreamer -> Taurus and that's the combination I want for the HD800, regardless of everything posted here re coloration and distortion. The Hugo just seems to naturally find it's way onto the bed with my laptop and I've got a new Audioquest mini-USB cable incoming : overall I did prefer coax to either Toslink optical or USB but it wasnt a chasm for me. Happy to use the USB in 'transportable' mode by itself with my other cans, and the microStreamer is a much better DAC than it's sticker would suggest - it just isnt in the same league as the Hugo. 

Now if I can just find a use case for these %##@^!  LCD-2s  :wink:

I read online that Audioquest mini-USB does not fit and requires some trimming

Jun 25, 2014 at 3:57 AM Post #5,617 of 15,694

Congrats, hykhleif!

There is only one sound effect on Hugo, it is the crossfeed effect. It is used for reducing the extreme panning from left to right v. v. for old stereo mixes that recorded each instrument on a distinct Left/Right channel, e.g. 50/60s Jazz recordings. Some people argue crossfeed will reduce the sound dynamic. on the safe side, I try to get the original mono recordings if available. if you do not listen to that kind of music, dont worry about it. This is my understandings of crossfeed, others please chime in....

I love the hugo its a big step up

I am now just trying to figure out also why the Bluetooth on my android does not work well with hugo, it connects fine on my xperia and says aptx connected  but the sound coming out of it is just wissssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhh sssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhh  instead of music, maybe its from using viper4android or maybe its because its a custom rom, so I need to try it with another android phone

while when connecting  my ipad I hear the music but still there is some ssssssssshhhhhhhhhh or interferences sound coming through

I was so tried yesterday and I need to retest those issues.

besides that I am overwhelmed by joy by the sound when connected by usb

I have only one concern and that is to the volume wheel, is that solidly built I hope that the plastic of the wheel will not lose connection with the metal and then there is no way to adjust the sound

Jun 25, 2014 at 4:19 AM Post #5,618 of 15,694

I am now just trying to figure out also why the Bluetooth on my android does not work well with hugo, it connects fine on my xperia ....

Bluetooth is working well for me with my Note3 (stock rom N9005ZHUENF1) across all apps (Neutron, Spotify, YouTube, etc) very stable with no hiss nor disconnection.

Jun 25, 2014 at 4:57 AM Post #5,619 of 15,694

I am now just trying to figure out also why the Bluetooth on my android does not work well with hugo, it connects fine on my xperia and says aptx connected  but the sound coming out of it is just wissssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhh sssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhh  instead of music, maybe its from using viper4android or maybe its because its a custom rom, so I need to try it with another android phone

while when connecting  my ipad I hear the music but still there is some ssssssssshhhhhhhhhh or interferences sound coming through

I was so tried yesterday and I need to retest those issues.

besides that I am overwhelmed by joy by the sound when connected by usb

I have only one concern and that is to the volume wheel, is that solidly built I hope that the plastic of the wheel will not lose connection with the metal and then there is no way to adjust the sound

bluetooth is a touchy subject, I tried two times... first time it worked perfectly at home, second time it had this crazy noise in office... so i gave up... both times, I used Sony Xperia Z stock walkman app

vol wheel looks sturdy for me but note that I usually set at line level at home

micro usb needs to be a bit mindful for outdoor use and try to avoid applying pressure on the usb ports.. if u put the stack in a messenger bag, it is logical that the headphone jack side faces up and usb port faces bottom... you can consider using "Grid-it" to mount Hugo in a fixed position...

Jun 25, 2014 at 6:11 AM Post #5,620 of 15,694
Has anyone confirmed an android device working with Hugo on dsd and not down converting. Meaning getting the dsd over dop to the Hugo ?? Someone posted it a while back that the was one .
Al

Jun 25, 2014 at 6:25 AM Post #5,621 of 15,694
Hi folks,

something to try out for the stationary Hugo owners who followed Rob's hint that there is no need to plug-off the power supply:

I am around the 50th hour of playing time (Squeezebox Touch via EDO-USB into Audiolab MDAC demoted to source control via Hugo's own black optical cable into Hugo, into my ears via Shure SH1840).

While I noticed a slighly heightened amount of detail which made it noticably easier to pick up those mumbled phrases in lyrics that you usually get ever so slightly wrong or just don't bother to try to understand (I'm German mostly listening to English lyrics), my listening experience did not come round to be really enjoyable. It was all just detail, and no substance. Mind you, the MDAC which I had been listening with joyfully up to Hugo's entrance could not remedy the situation one bit! Hooking up the headphones to the MDAC just gave me the same "joyless noise" with a little less detail. What had happened?

I dont' know. But at one point I had the idea that it might be good to give Hugo's batteries a few charging cycles. Up to then, I had it hooked up to the PS all the time, and it came fully loaded (charging LED blue). After all, the batteries play the same role here as capacitors in a linear PS, and I have some experience with caps sounding wierd until they have been given a good time of electrons rushing in and out... I guess it's the same with batteries - probably they need to gain some confidence that they can give away the charge easily, not fearing it will never come back...

However - one dis/charging cycle down to the red LED state changed the listening experience completely.

Where there was a mass of disjointed detail before (I exaggerate...), there is now humans playing music in my head.

I certainly prefer the latter.

Cheers,
Achim

PS: Oh, just to check some boxes:

1. Hugo is not sounding bright or thin. Also, not compared to the MDAC. MDAC is also not "creamier".
2. The amount by which Hugo makes MP3 material listenable, is in fact remarkable. Sounds like a well recorded and well kept cassette from the old days, just without the flutter and the noise.

Jun 25, 2014 at 6:28 AM Post #5,622 of 15,694
Has anyone tried this and did a comparison to the Hugo. It's new to market
http://www.musicdirect.com/p-161157-ifi-nano-idsd-dac.aspx

Al

Jun 25, 2014 at 7:05 AM Post #5,623 of 15,694
Has anyone confirmed an android device working with Hugo on dsd and not down converting. Meaning getting the dsd over dop to the Hugo ?? Someone posted it a while back that the was one .
Al

The Android app USB Audio Player Pro updated today to support DSD over DOP I believe.

Yep, here you go: http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/4965#post_10660323

Jun 25, 2014 at 7:09 AM Post #5,624 of 15,694
I can add this. Being a life long RC guy batteries and the nature if maintaining them is a big part the hobby. Back in the day with nicads and the metal halide they did not perform there best until at least one cycle. But only then did there best for let's say three more cycles. Now this was under severe conditions of racing. Lipo batteries have a different nature .
They do not perform there best till about 3 to 5 cycles . Cycles meaning full to empty. It does not matter how fast you drain the battery . For me I do,it by letting it stay on playing music at night . I have done it about 12 times now. I am not here to say it sounds different but do know it lasts longer . As by doing this you can obtain the full capacity of the batteries . One last thought. Weather anyone here want s to hear it or not. The Hugo is a very good dac. Amp and as the thought is a future desktop model . My theory is a very noticeable improvement can be had by just eliminating the batteries with a good linear PSU. My pin tin this is batteries are very good but do have there own set of issues in using them. And ultimately the best source is not batteries but a linear PSU. Now this thought applies if using the batteries to directly make the sound as in an amp or dac that has amplification in it. Just my thoughts. And for those who will na na that's fine sooner or later I will crack it open and do this just to hear the improvement.
Al

Jun 25, 2014 at 7:15 AM Post #5,625 of 15,694

Users who are viewing this thread

Back