Chord Hugo
Jun 22, 2014 at 10:27 AM Post #5,341 of 15,694
After Rob's comment regarding the optical input, I have decided to get the QLS QA360. I think it is the only DAP that can directly play DSF files using DoP with Coaxial and Toslink output... I think...

But it looks like I will have to wait til mid-July for next batch..

Just spent the sunday loaded up all classical DSD on ipod touch.....lock and load

Jun 22, 2014 at 10:29 AM Post #5,342 of 15,694
Please comment on how it sounds compared to usb on desktop CPU ?

I thought the Hugo only does dsd through the USB input ?
Al

Jun 22, 2014 at 10:40 AM Post #5,345 of 15,694
Really wow this is really cool. I will try it now.
With my offramp optical.
Thanks. The only DAC I know of that does this is the MSB.
what a DAC the hugo is. I do not know of any others.
Holy cow
Al

Jun 22, 2014 at 10:47 AM Post #5,346 of 15,694
  I absolutely love the Chord Hugo and now find it a pain to listen to ANY DAP without the Hugo. However I still don't understand why Hugo is constantly being compared to DAPs instead of other DAC/ Headphone Amp? 

Agreed, and I believe we had that discussion about 50 or so pages back. For those of us who use it as a desktop DAC, the DAP obsession seems somewhat OTT but I guess that goes with the territory when you have a Swiss Army Knife like this. 

Jun 22, 2014 at 10:59 AM Post #5,347 of 15,694
I dominos have anyway of trying the optical. My offramp does not output optical at all. The only way is my desk top CPU .
I am not sure if does dsd over dop either. .
Al

Jun 22, 2014 at 11:09 AM Post #5,348 of 15,694
I dominos have anyway of trying the optical. My offramp does not output optical at all. The only way is my desk top CPU .
I am not sure if does dsd over dop either. .
Al

u can try to convert your DSF files into FLAC

see 3. Use Foobar As A DSF to DoP File Converter

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=119364.0

then use ibasso HDP R10 toslink out and send thru. hugo will treat these as dsd files...

but i dont know if R10 can do it , it worked with DX50 and HM-901 (though both not flawlessly because there are some pauses). thats why i am looking forward to the QLS QA360 but the UI will be stupid... anyway..

Jun 22, 2014 at 11:15 AM Post #5,349 of 15,694
Yes I am aware of the method , I have not had time to play with it. I also have a ps audio PWT. I could do the same and burn them on DVD. The HDP r10 is horrible as a transport. I do not know why but it stinks on ice for sound. The iPhones are very much like a desktop sound close enough as my first choice in total mobility. The AK240 sounded better than the hd r10 but no dsd and now where as good as the iPhones or desk tops. Also presently there is no form of obtainable EQ in portable mode. . PCM it works but not in dsd mode using the onkyo HF software . My iMac does optical,out and should do dop as well. So it's my next try to hear the sound .
Thanks
Al

Jun 22, 2014 at 11:19 AM Post #5,350 of 15,694
Hi, I'm very new to the whole audio community so I apologize if this is a very 'noob' question.

My desktop rig is a woo audio WA7+ODAC; I recently just purchased a Hugo and I wanted to pair the Hugo as a standalone DAC with the WA7 amp. I'm sure this has been discussed in this thread but I'm only on page 40 of this thread since i started reading this last week

So my question is, what kind of end to end cable do I need to use to make the Hugo a standalone DAC? I know the WA7 uses the RCA input for one end so what would I need for the other end? RCA? Coaxial? 3.5mm jack?

Currently, I use the RCA to 3.5mm jack to connect my ODAC, and then from my ODAC, a mini-USB to USB to connect my laptop. Again, very sorry if this is a dumb question :frowning2:

Jun 22, 2014 at 11:34 AM Post #5,351 of 15,694
You could say it was a mistake but not in the way you think it was. Chord made the mistake of designing a "mobile " product with RCAs as a secondary addition to it's intended use. This would have been fine as smaller RCAs are in frequent use in mobile products in Japan What Chord really got wrong, fortunately for all of us. Was that they made Hugo so damned good that it imeadiately became a success in the desk top Dac market where it's cable outputs were far more important. Chord corrected their design error straight after the LasVegas launch back in January so I think they've been pretty reactive.

Actually I wouldn't limit the mistake to just the rca inputs. The reality is the mistake goes across all their input connections except for toslink. The rca inputs are the most glaring and almost comically so as any decent cable used for this level of product will not fit (I believe I had to steal the coaxial cable that came with my wadia ipod dock that was the only decent cable from my collection of 30-50). Remember the rca issue also effects the coaxial which would be a fairly common portable input. The problem also extends to the usb connection as well. The basic issue is the decision to use micro B usb which is a strange decision in itself. It might be a design limitation due to size but it seems like there might be enough room for standard B usb. By going micro B, they excluded basically every audiophile usb cable most people own. I have a half a dozen or so audiophile level usb cables and none are micro b. So I was relegated to using a belkin cable I had lying around. So I proceeded to buy the best micro b to b connector I could find which was from audioquest. Sorry the adapter doesn't really fit. It fits using a lot of force and any weight (and most good usb cables have some weight) will shift adapter slightly and break the connection. To use adapter I had to jury rig a support to sit underneath the cable and adapter so the weight of cable wouldn't pull connection apart I called the cable company which deals with high end cables and you would know, if you had dealt with them, how big their cable selection is including a massive lending library. The only micro b usb cable they could find me was from audioquest which also had to be special ordered along with the non working audioquest 90 degree rca adapters I bought , butam actually scared to open it for last week or so as the audioquest usb and rca adapters didn't work.

My guess is that the case designer error on the side of caution with regards to structural integrity. But was probably not as forgivable, they obviously did not do final design testing for very long. The earlier testing as likely done caseless or in test case where the error did not exist or someone found as working cable but forgot how big a pain it was to find one that would work. Final product testing would have quickly revealed so obvious a problem as basically 80% if not higher of cables would not have worked including most of their sister companies cables.

It has been a long time since I have had to purchase cables for any product. And I can't remember any product in recent history that I had to spend so much effort (which is still ongoing) to find acceptable working level of cables. Sure there are some ones made from companies I don't really know or even heard of. Before you argue any of this, first quote me the last product you got that took anywhere this level of cable matching simply to find one that works? Not having a working cable is pretty basic mistake. I do commend chord on sort of fixing the problem as soon as they did. I would love if they would fix the problem for me as original owner. But please next time spend some time on final product testing or they need to overhaul their final testing procedure.

Jun 22, 2014 at 11:36 AM Post #5,352 of 15,694
Hi, I'm very new to the whole audio community so I apologize if this is a very 'noob' question.

My desktop rig is a woo audio WA7+ODAC; I recently just purchased a Hugo and I wanted to pair the Hugo as a standalone DAC with the WA7 amp. I'm sure this has been discussed in this thread but I'm only on page 40 of this thread since i started reading this last week

So my question is, what kind of end to end cable do I need to use to make the Hugo a standalone DAC? I know the WA7 uses the RCA input for one end so what would I need for the other end? RCA? Coaxial? 3.5mm jack?

Currently, I use the RCA to 3.5mm jack to connect my ODAC, and then from my ODAC, a mini-USB to USB to connect my laptop. Again, very sorry if this is a dumb question
frown.gif

hi

just use RCA cables, not sure how big the RCA holes of your Hugo is. if u order audiophile grade, it is worth to email to ask or bring the hugo along to ensure the cable fits. you can also consider to use Hugo as all-in-one and forget about the WA7

Jun 22, 2014 at 11:42 AM Post #5,353 of 15,694
hi

just use RCA cables, not sure how big the RCA holes of your Hugo is. if u order audiophile grade, it is worth to email to ask or bring the hugo along to ensure the cable fits. you can also consider to use Hugo as all-in-one and forget about the WA7

If using external amp, only rca can be used as the hugo is the dac and therefore sending out analog signal and rca is the only analog output.

Jun 22, 2014 at 11:45 AM Post #5,354 of 15,694
If using external amp, only rca can be used as the hugo is the dac and therefore sending out analog signal and rca is the only analog output.

thanks,  u can also use 6.3mm or 3.5mm (TRS if the plug fits) to RCA when u set the output to line level.

Jun 22, 2014 at 11:46 AM Post #5,355 of 15,694
Posted to those who have an HTC1-M8. I've connected the iPhone to the Hugo, very inelegant with the dongles sticking out.

With the camera adapter the Hugo recognizes the iPhone.

The Hugo does not recognize the HTC1-M8 - the music comes out of the HTC's speakers only.

The two are connected with the micro male to micro male.

I downloaded Android apps PowerAmp and DoubleTwist - not tested yet, not even sure if these are applicable to streaming HTC to Hugo.

Any suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back