Chord Hugo
Jun 22, 2014 at 3:02 AM Post #5,311 of 15,694
Just tried the Audioquest 90 degree RCA adapters and they are too big for original Hugo chassis.  So that was a waste.  The only adapters that I have had work that seem to be above crappy level are the blue jean ones which I suspect aren't that great but who knows.

Any more word if Chord RCA adapters have been released and us original chassis guys can get them?

Jun 22, 2014 at 3:21 AM Post #5,312 of 15,694
  Exactly, I don't think i would able to accept this with a $2500 product. :p

My Audioquest RCA cables fit the original chassis perfectly and I didnt pay 2500AUD, much less 2500USD, for my Hugo, Brick-and-mortar dealer in Sydney with very few units and he still gave me a discount. 

Jun 22, 2014 at 3:43 AM Post #5,313 of 15,694
My Audioquest RCA cables fit the original chassis perfectly and I didnt pay 2500AUD, much less 2500USD, for my Hugo, Brick-and-mortar dealer in Sydney with very few units and he still gave me a discount. 

Great to hear that! Seems that u got the new version already. :)

Think I will purchase from Australia as well as the price I see so far is $2499 AUD.

Jun 22, 2014 at 5:25 AM Post #5,317 of 15,694
Rob Watts reportedly - and I havent seen the original claim - prefers the optical (Toslink) connection. I'd suggest that you try them all for yourself if possible. 

Agreed. From what I read of AK240 and Hugo thread. Many people have different opinions about the coax and optical in of the Hugo. IMO I prefer optical in than coax in. :wink:

Jun 22, 2014 at 5:50 AM Post #5,318 of 15,694
It drives my LCD3 very well.  WIth HD800 I prefer adding WA22 to the chain, but with LCD3, for non vocal tracks/albums I actually prefer it straight from the Hugo.

Also, USB sound a lot better than bluetooth, but bluetooth function well and is perfectly fine to use with lossy streaming like Spotify.  No hiss nor audible artifact that is introduced by bluetooth.  

Never get warm.  But haven't used it under direct sunlight... YMMV
Direct sun light might be a problem for a component caught under its possibly sunlight focussing lens so I'd suggest to always keep it in the shade!

Jun 22, 2014 at 6:01 AM Post #5,319 of 15,694

Personally? No. You'd be better off spending the money on better headphones first.

Would the B&W P7's be better? More revealing Hugo's detail?

For the Hugo, we're talking far more seriously expensive headphones than those, eg: HD-800s, LCD-X and the like, though none are designed to be portable.

Heard the hugo sounds best when feeded from coax

Depends on the quality of what is feeding the coax, same as the optical, though I have to say the differences are far more minimal with the Hugo than I've experienced with other gear at this level which has multiple inputs.

Jun 22, 2014 at 6:06 AM Post #5,320 of 15,694

I've said it before and I'll say it again - I would happily trade all the developments in 'hi-res' music over the last 10 years if it meant I could get certain artists back into the studio to re-record the albums that I feel were marred by poor production and release those albums on CD. The problem is that while they might be better musicians now, it would be very hard to recreate the emotional intensity of some of those albums. Case in point:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBHmflJB4bs

Those who know the backstory to the Darkness on the Edge of Town album will know that Springsteen was an artist with his back to the wall and there is nowhere on the album that this comes through more forcefully than on Something in the Night. As powerful as his performance is on the Paramount sessions in 2009, I just dont get the hairs on the back of my neck standing up the way I do with the original. Unlike classical, this music is irrevocably tied to a place and time - fortunately for the Boss, things got better, but this was the zenith of his career for mine. Its one of very few albums that could lure me back to vinyl  :D

I've seen Springsteen over fifteen times 'live' but I wouldn't fork out any dosh to see him now as he's become a bit pretentious imho... Born to Run is one of my favourite albums (I saw him first in '75, second night @ Hammersmith), I have two versions currently on CD, the original which appears to be no different from the 'remaster' and the '24k Mastersound Gold-Disc', the gold-disc has more air & definition to it and is worth the extra imo but it still doesn't quite hit the vinyl quality but it's close (could be better than vinyl using the Hugo?).... imo Springsteen hasn't done anything really stirring since the early 90's and I prefer his early stuff truth be known 'The Wild, The Free & The Innocent' is up there with 'BtR' with immense tracks like New York Serenade & Sandy (4th July, Asbury Park), the Boss will always have a special place in my heart, it's personal.

Jun 22, 2014 at 6:13 AM Post #5,321 of 15,694
can someone link me to a good online site that ships internationally for a short coaxial cable that is not so super expensive that I can use with fiio x3 and chord

Jun 22, 2014 at 6:17 AM Post #5,322 of 15,694
also I have the ipad mini 2 with retina I am tryng to figure out how to connect them both in a nice way

does anyone have a pic that can shed some ideas how to connected them in a nice way, is there a case that can I use for the hugo and somehow make the ipad mini and hugo look as a couple :)

Jun 22, 2014 at 6:27 AM Post #5,324 of 15,694
  also I have the ipad mini 2 with retina I am tryng to figure out how to connect them both in a nice way

does anyone have a pic that can shed some ideas how to connected them in a nice way, is there a case that can I use for the hugo and somehow make the ipad mini and hugo look as a couple :)

Chord are about to release two cases for the Hugo so might be a good idea to hold off.

alternatively, we did find one that comes in different sizes from a third party, I've got one, it's excellent & does the job even holds my IEM Oteerbox.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330777972892?var=540074998074&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Jun 22, 2014 at 6:50 AM Post #5,325 of 15,694
Is there a way to lock the RCA output of the Hugo to 2v?
I'm trying to plug it into my car's audio system into the Aux input and it sounds like the input volume is a bit too high?

I understand that holding the crossover button while booting up actually locks the line level to 2.2v?

Thanks,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back