Chord Hugo
Jun 21, 2014 at 3:59 PM Post #5,281 of 15,694
Nahhh... the stock optical cable can only do up to 24/96. That's why i need to get a new optical cable which can do up to 24/192 pcm. :)

I heard that optical cable does not have much differences in terms of cable quality, not like the coaxial cable or USB cable. So I think maybe i don't have to put too much concern on it anyway... :)
this is the optical cable I got free with the hugo pro signal psg03046 it does do 24/192 u can get them on e bay and they don't cost a lot . don't get the high up one, with gold plugs on because that won't do 24/192.

Jun 21, 2014 at 4:45 PM Post #5,284 of 15,694
  Have you heard the HD800 + Hugo combo? Does the HD800 sound "fun" as well in terms of SQ etc.? As from many many reviews, people tend to use HUGO drive HD800 straight away with NO complain. That's another reason why i wanna get the Hugo. :)

I don't have any local dealer arround me so i have no luck to try the HUGO with HD800... :frowning2: 

I think the Hugo has no problem driving the HD800's.  I do have some issue with perceived brightness though.  Doing a comparison, I find that driving my HD800s straight from my Exasound E28 tames that brightness for me.

Jun 21, 2014 at 4:47 PM Post #5,286 of 15,694

Use some RCA cables then set the Hugo to 2.2v output.

Phil, how do we do that? My Hugo is in the customs and will probably be in my hands on tuesday (by the way I bought from you guys). I read the manual and couldn't see anything about 2.2v. There was something about bypassing volume control and using line level. Do you mean that?

Jun 21, 2014 at 5:06 PM Post #5,287 of 15,694
I think the Hugo has no problem driving the HD800's.  I do have some issue with perceived brightness though.  Doing a comparison, I find that driving my HD800s straight from my Exasound E28 tames that brightness for me.

Thanks for the review! :)

Maybe try to upgrade the cable for the hd800? I'm gonna get the Cardas clear for hd800 as an upgrade. :wink:

Jun 21, 2014 at 7:10 PM Post #5,288 of 15,694

Regarding the optical cable. Im going to use my AK100 MK2 optical out -> Chord HUGO. What kinds of best optical cables you guys could recommend? 

So far from the thread i only see 1, Sy******* (forgot the name...) 1300 optical cable, 2, blue dragon optical cable, 3, silver dragon V3 optical cable. Which one you guys recommend most?  :)

Best Regards

van den Hul Optocoupler

@archeryc Sysconcept. They mention the Hugo on one of their product pages I think.
http://www.sysconcept.ca/product_info.php?products_id=349

@PhilW The problem is, it is too long if you want to do a stack. Maybe someone should ask them to make an ultra-short version?

I did a bit more comparing with the Master 7 today with some interesting results. Using the high-res USB input on the Hugo versus the 2014v3 firmware USB32 on the Master 7, the latter had a far more natural and engaging presentation. The Hugo was probably a touch more detailed, but lacking the musicality that makes listening with the Master 7 an emotional experience.

Then I tried the Hugo with the Audiophilleo 1 (with Pure Power) again to compare against the Master 7 and USB32 and the magic was back!

Funny, I did the same test with the SA-2 yesterday night.
I'm selling the Audio-GD and wanted to upgrade to the latest firmware before letting it go. It's really very good! No etch, glare or this kind of things that gave me a headache with the previous firmwares (plus, I switched back to KS recently - I prefer it to ASIO/WASAPI, for some reason - that might be a playing factor).

I probably have seller's remorse, once again. Last time was... for the QuteHD! But it allows me to finally get the Master 7 if I'm not fully satisfied with the Hugo. That's where your comment will be of great help:
- When you say the magic is back with the AP1 - you're actually not the first one who said that - does it make the Hugo + AP1 a better performer than the M7 on all accounts (magic included)?

I can't say on all accounts, but the first time I compared was before I upgraded the firmware. I agree that the 2014v3 USB32 firmware has improved things. The bass seems a bit stronger with the M7 when I compared using my speakers.

van den Hul Optocoupler

van den hul will not do 24/192

It did for me!

Jun 21, 2014 at 7:15 PM Post #5,289 of 15,694
Is anyone using Grado PS1000e's with the Hugo? I have the PS1000e's.  I'm thinking of buying a Hugo. I'm just curious to see if anyone else is using this combination.
OMG, you've got the PS1Ke's? I hear they have a twelve conductor cable and improved sensitivity which should make them
sound phenomenal through the Hugo.

Jun 21, 2014 at 7:54 PM Post #5,290 of 15,694
Hello,
Just a question, how do you think the Hugo compares to the iPhone 5 (Dac) listing for 16/44 ALAC files through a pair of AKG 551, do you think I'll notice much difference?
Enough to warrant the Hugo cost?

Thanks,

Jun 21, 2014 at 8:00 PM Post #5,291 of 15,694
  Hello,
Just a question, how do you think the Hugo compares to the iPhone 5 (Dac) listing for 16/44 ALAC files through a pair of AKG 551, do you think I'll notice much difference?
Enough to warrant the Hugo cost?

Thanks,

Personally? No. You'd be better off spending the money on better headphones first.

Jun 21, 2014 at 8:20 PM Post #5,292 of 15,694
  Have you heard the HD800 + Hugo combo? Does the HD800 sound "fun" as well in terms of SQ etc.? As from many many reviews, people tend to use HUGO drive HD800 straight away with NO complain. That's another reason why i wanna get the Hugo. :)

I don't have any local dealer arround me so i have no luck to try the HUGO with HD800... :frowning2: 

Check my signature. I have both. 
As many others have said, it's a great combo, especially for detail-heads (me included). You won't hear a lot more of what's actually recorded in your digital files than with this combo. It's a sound that is very hi-fi, but not the ultimate in shake-your-booty fun, for which some bass emphasis can go a long way. I'm actually in the market for phones that sound more fun, like the TH900, IE800, Roxanne or LCD-XC. Because like so many on this board I am never satisfied for long, and a lot of my collection is more in the party music direction, where detail is not everything. And honestly it's hard to imagine that Nile Rogers doesn't crank the bass a bit when he's mixing Chic record. 
If you don't have access to a good dealer you should consider flying to a head-fi meet up. I've been able to make much smarter decisions getting to hear so much in one place and spend some time with my fellow head-fiers. In So Cal we get people from all over the country, and some from overseas. It's not insane to spend several hundred on a plane ticket before plunking down Hugo/HD800 bucks on gear. And it's possible that you can save the cost of the plane ticket with the show specials. You'll never know what something sounds like until you stick it in your ear. 
Short Answer: HD800 and Hugo is pretty amazing. 

Jun 21, 2014 at 8:40 PM Post #5,294 of 15,694

the ZX1 is an excellent option as a source & will connect to the Hugo easy-peasy... Chord used the ZX1 with the Hugo at their recent UK & European Shows along with Audeze LCD headphones.

with regards to the beer-garden question... it's designed by a Englishman who loves cocktails & hot women, go figure

ps... the ZX1 is Andriod.

Easy-peasy - really ? Can you post a photo of the cable you're using to connect the ZX1 to the Hugo, pls ? 

Jun 21, 2014 at 8:49 PM Post #5,295 of 15,694
You can get fun with a hd800 combo witha Hugo. Just EQ a little fun in. And you can have both if you a can that is just over the top inaccurate even with EQ it's not the best in deatils like a hd800. I have both the lcd3 and the hd800. There is no better a combo at this price point.
Al

Users who are viewing this thread

Back