Chord Hugo
Jun 22, 2014 at 1:42 PM Post #5,371 of 15,694
It played dsd 128 and 64 over coax. For me. The light was white. I have not ride the optical spidif on my iMac as yet .
Al

Jun 22, 2014 at 1:50 PM Post #5,372 of 15,694
I never found headphones as being all that great in staging at least compared to speakers. But those headphones are very much like listening to speakers.
Al

No way I would use the 6's with the hugo as amp.

Jun 22, 2014 at 1:53 PM Post #5,373 of 15,694
I've been using HD800's.

That is the problem. Hd800 are stinky (relatively speaking) with wa7 so doesn't surprise me that hugo amp is about the same. Lcdx are easier to drive and I noticed more of a difference. I would check again but my wa7 is no longer :frowning2:.

Jun 22, 2014 at 2:13 PM Post #5,376 of 15,694
Really wow this is really cool. I will try it now.
With my offramp optical.
Thanks. The only DAC I know of that does this is the MSB.
what a DAC the hugo is. I do not know of any others.
Holy cow
Al

Al, there are now dozens of DSD capble dacs that accept DoP via digital inputs. My other Chord reviews, as well as my Hugo commnets, have spelled out Chords capabilities to do that since day one (comparing usb-spdif converters doing all types of muisc vs the sonics of the dacs own usb input, for example). Our DSD database shows which dacs do DoP via digital ins.

Jun 22, 2014 at 2:23 PM Post #5,377 of 15,694
Maybe this is not relevant to the thread. But may I ask any link or news about the new Sennheiser flagship headphones?
smily_headphones1.gif

No link(no announcement yet), I just like the 650, and hoping for the successor, I'm not into 800 which is probably the successor to the 600.  I don't like bright phones.

Jun 22, 2014 at 2:24 PM Post #5,378 of 15,694
I was following this thread up until page 300, but it seems to have exploded since then, so I've got some catching up to do!

I've just got home to test out my Hugo, but am having an issue that I'm assuming I'm being stupid over;

If I connect my Macbook Air using USB to the HD USB input (the one on it's own), then my Macbook identifies it as a USB Audio DAC, which I then set in Sound (and in Audio MIDI setup) to be the default, then I get no sound. However, as soon as I switch to the SD USB input (located next to the power switch), then my Macbook identifies it immediately as a Hugo and it works straight away... am I missing something?

Cheers,

Jun 22, 2014 at 2:25 PM Post #5,379 of 15,694
Actually I wouldn't limit the mistake to just the rca inputs. The reality is the mistake goes across all their input connections except for toslink. The rca inputs are the most glaring and almost comically so as any decent cable used for this level of product will not fit (I believe I had to steal the coaxial cable that came with my wadia ipod dock that was the only decent cable from my collection of 30-50). Remember the rca issue also effects the coaxial which would be a fairly common portable input. The problem also extends to the usb connection as well. The basic issue is the decision to use micro B usb which is a strange decision in itself. It might be a design limitation due to size but it seems like there might be enough room for standard B usb. By going micro B, they excluded basically every audiophile usb cable most people own. I have a half a dozen or so audiophile level usb cables and none are micro b. So I was relegated to using a belkin cable I had lying around. So I proceeded to buy the best micro b to b connector I could find which was from audioquest. Sorry the adapter doesn't really fit. It fits using a lot of force and any weight (and most good usb cables have some weight) will shift adapter slightly and break the connection. To use adapter I had to jury rig a support to sit underneath the cable and adapter so the weight of cable wouldn't pull connection apart I called the cable company which deals with high end cables and you would know, if you had dealt with them, how big their cable selection is including a massive lending library. The only micro b usb cable they could find me was from audioquest which also had to be special ordered along with the non working audioquest 90 degree rca adapters I bought , butam actually scared to open it for last week or so as the audioquest usb and rca adapters didn't work.

My guess is that the case designer error on the side of caution with regards to structural integrity. But was probably not as forgivable, they obviously did not do final design testing for very long. The earlier testing as likely done caseless or in test case where the error did not exist or someone found as working cable but forgot how big a pain it was to find one that would work. Final product testing would have quickly revealed so obvious a problem as basically 80% if not higher of cables would not have worked including most of their sister companies cables.

It has been a long time since I have had to purchase cables for any product. And I can't remember any product in recent history that I had to spend so much effort (which is still ongoing) to find acceptable working level of cables. Sure there are some ones made from companies I don't really know or even heard of. Before you argue any of this, first quote me the last product you got that took anywhere this level of cable matching simply to find one that works? Not having a working cable is pretty basic mistake. I do commend chord on sort of fixing the problem as soon as they did. I would love if they would fix the problem for me as original owner. But please next time spend some time on final product testing or they need to overhaul their final testing procedure.
Im sure you'll understand that nothing like Hugo existed before it's launch however the guys at chord may be contacting you for advise next time. Though I do wonder How many mobile products did you say you'd designed or is it that you only like to offer your advise after the products are on the market in any case I'd suggest you give them a call about your own Hugo it would be worth while I think.

Jun 22, 2014 at 2:30 PM Post #5,380 of 15,694
  Hi, it sounds like we have the same taste.  I enjoyed the HD650 myself, but it took about a week for my ears to adjust the difference from the sea of bright phones on the market.  I prefer details and clarity, but without the compromise of warmth which brings the realism in.  I look for a balance of it.  Wolfson has the warmth, but doesn't do well when it comes to details.  The mobile ES series are cold sounding, but the non-mobile ES9018 sounds highly resoluted with good amount of warmth.  Probably the best sounding DAP I've run across so far.  Never heard the Hugo, but I don't like overly bright sources.

For musical I would recommend HE-6.  It's the most balanced I've heard. the drawback is, it's stage is not as big as the HD800, more intimate, but it's very musical and detailed, which I don't find with lots of phones.  Also, needs a powerful amp.

With my IE800s, Hugo sounded very neutral, effortless and musical. It didn't sound bright to me. I haven't had the chance to listen to it with HD650s but will do when mine arrives this week. :)

HE-6 might be good indeed, I'll try them when I get the chance. In the end I always find myself going back to Sennheiser headphones though. I might be a Sennheiser fanboy. :)

Jun 22, 2014 at 2:33 PM Post #5,381 of 15,694
Th
I was following this thread up until page 300, but it seems to have exploded since then, so I've got some catching up to do!

I've just got home to test out my Hugo, but am having an issue that I'm assuming I'm being stupid over;

If I connect my Macbook Air using USB to the HD USB input (the one on it's own), then my Macbook identifies it as a USB Audio DAC, which I then set in Sound (and in Audio MIDI setup) to be the default, then I get no sound. However, as soon as I switch to the SD USB input (located next to the power switch), then my Macbook identifies it immediately as a Hugo and it works straight away... am I missing something?

Cheers,
e USB closest to the power slide switch .... is the High data rate input. So that is why its finding it

Jun 22, 2014 at 2:43 PM Post #5,382 of 15,694

Stick a beefy amp in-between the Hugo and the HD800s and the HD800s can really party.

I don't think the HD800 would ever have a 'party', 'fun' or 'bass-boosted' character without EQ in software or hardware, like an amp. It's not in the design brief. HD800 is designed to show you how bad EQ-ing sounds. Other cans are designed to rock and do the job much better.  Doesn't mean I don't love my HD800. It just means that I'm looking for some variety. 

Jun 22, 2014 at 2:44 PM Post #5,383 of 15,694
Guys I wanna make a vote, as my budget are very limited, if I wanna choose 1 headphone for the Hugo and options are only HD800 & TH900, which one would you guys recommend to get and pairs with the Hugo (no external amp)? :)

PS: I listen to female vocal, pop & classical normally.

Jun 22, 2014 at 2:49 PM Post #5,385 of 15,694
Guys I wanna make a vote, as my budget are very limited, if I wanna choose 1 headphone for the Hugo and options are only HD800 & TH900, which one would you guys recommend to get and pairs with the Hugo (no external amp)?
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm voting for TH900's for no other reason than I'm going for the same combo myself when I can fork out the dough. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back