Chord Hugo
Jun 22, 2014 at 11:50 AM Post #5,356 of 15,694
Hi, I'm very new to the whole audio community so I apologize if this is a very 'noob' question.

My desktop rig is a woo audio WA7+ODAC; I recently just purchased a Hugo and I wanted to pair the Hugo as a standalone DAC with the WA7 amp. I'm sure this has been discussed in this thread but I'm only on page 40 of this thread since i started reading this last week

So my question is, what kind of end to end cable do I need to use to make the Hugo a standalone DAC? I know the WA7 uses the RCA input for one end so what would I need for the other end? RCA? Coaxial? 3.5mm jack?

Currently, I use the RCA to 3.5mm jack to connect my ODAC, and then from my ODAC, a mini-USB to USB to connect my laptop. Again, very sorry if this is a dumb question
frown.gif

I have the same setup that you're talking about - Hugo as DAC into WA7 as amp.  Like Cosmic said, I think you'll find that the Hugo does good enough on it's own without the WA7.  I'm finding that the WA7 doesn't add anything.  I'm curious to see if you find the same.

Jun 22, 2014 at 11:50 AM Post #5,357 of 15,694
thanks,  u can also use 6.3mm or 3.5mm (TRS if the plug fits) to RCA when u set the output to line level.

Forgot about that. Y cables tend to remind me to radioshack and I have blocked that time from my audio life.

Jun 22, 2014 at 11:52 AM Post #5,358 of 15,694
I have the same setup that you're talking about - Hugo as DAC into WA7 as amp.  Like Cosmic said, I think you'll find that the Hugo does good enough on it's own without the WA7.  I'm finding that the WA7 doesn't add anything.  I'm curious to see if you find the same.

I found that the wa7 seemed to add to it, had the chord for a while so I forget what was better about it. What headphones do you use? I used lcdx for testing at the time.

Jun 22, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #5,359 of 15,694
  Posted to those who have an HTC1-M8. I've connected the iPhone to the Hugo, very inelegant with the dongles sticking out.

With the camera adapter the Hugo recognizes the iPhone.

The Hugo does not recognize the HTC1-M8 - the music comes out of the HTC's speakers only.

The two are connected with the micro male to micro male.

I downloaded Android apps PowerAmp and DoubleTwist - not tested yet, not even sure if these are applicable to streaming HTC to Hugo.

Any suggestions?

according to these topics:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/270#post_8660606
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/150#post_8530235

it seems an OTG adapater is required?

Jun 22, 2014 at 11:57 AM Post #5,361 of 15,694
I agree with @crashem on the choice of micro-USB over a mini USB connector - that has annoyed the hell out of me from day one. Currently using the Toslink connection from my Mac Mini and it's going to take me a while to get my head around Rob's extensive post re his personal preference for Toslink over USB and coax. I'm beginning to see why Charlie Hansen from Ayre designed the QB-9 and its successor as USB-only DACs - one less set of issues to deal with. 

Jun 22, 2014 at 11:59 AM Post #5,362 of 15,694
Jun 22, 2014 at 12:06 PM Post #5,363 of 15,694
If a micro b to micro b cable was used, it should be OTG cable since that is only micro to micro cable that is within standards. However micro to micro cables are fairly new so easily could be cable problem.

Thats pretty cool..i should get one bcos OTG thing is annoying

Jun 22, 2014 at 12:30 PM Post #5,364 of 15,694

I try to get my head around how Rob explains things, although it comes across as academic & technical he writes in a way that a layman can relate to & understand, not an easy achievement imo.

what really impresses is that Rob 's focus is always on the music and how to make it more musical... there are plenty of hi-end brands that focus only on the detail making them sound 'industrial', by that I mean you hear all the detail but it's more clangy than musical if that makes sense.... the Hugo is very musical from my experience & being portable makes it a hoot.

ES Sabre chips come to mind... Many supposedly high-end products use those chips, which have plenty of detail, but are dull, sound digital and lifeless. For instance Resonessence Invicta is really expensive (GBP 4500), with lots of features but I'm sure Hugo is better. I have not heard one dac with a Sabre chip that sounds natural and organic.

It's the same situation I had with AKG Q701s. They indeed have lots of detail and soundstage (though not on the level of HD800s) but they are not musical at all, I regretted buying them and sold them after a few months. Now I have HD650s which are supremely musical, fun with just enough detail. This is the true audiophile way. Audiophiles in 70s, 80s didn't care about detail that much but rather about musicality. This is why they like vinyl so much even though it also has some shortcomings. For this reason, I'm holding off buying HD800s because Sennheiser will probably announce HD850s in a year or two, I think. A more musical, non-fatiguing and laid back HD800. They did this with IE800s, lots of detail with a very musical sound. I believe in Sennheiser engineers. :)

Jun 22, 2014 at 12:39 PM Post #5,365 of 15,694

ES Sabre chips come to mind... Many supposedly high-end products use those chips, which have plenty of detail, but are dull, sound digital and lifeless. For instance Resonessence Invicta is really expensive (GBP 4500), with lots of futures but I'm sure Hugo is better. I have not heard one dac with a Sabre chip that sounds natural and organic.

It's the same situation I had with AKG Q701s. They indeed have lots of detail and soundstage (though not on the level of HD800s) but they are not musical at all, I regretted buying them and sold them after a few months. Now I have HD650s which are supremely musical, fun with just enough detail. This is the true audiophile way. Audiophiles in 70s, 80s didn't care about detail that much but rather about musicality. This is why they like vinyl so much even though it also has some shortcomings. For this reason, I'm holding off buying HD800s because Sennheiser will probably announce HD850s in a year or two, I think. A more musical, non-fatiguing and laid back HD800. They did this with IE800s, lots of detail with a very musical sound. I believe in Sennheiser engineers. :)

Hi, it sounds like we have the same taste.  I enjoyed the HD650 myself, but it took about a week for my ears to adjust the difference from the sea of bright phones on the market.  I prefer details and clarity, but without the compromise of warmth which brings the realism in.  I look for a balance of it.  Wolfson has the warmth, but doesn't do well when it comes to details.  The mobile ES series are cold sounding, but the non-mobile ES9018 sounds highly resoluted with good amount of warmth.  Probably the best sounding DAP I've run across so far.  Never heard the Hugo, but I don't like overly bright sources.

For musical I would recommend HE-6.  It's the most balanced I've heard. the drawback is, it's stage is not as big as the HD800, more intimate, but it's very musical and detailed, which I don't find with lots of phones.  Also, needs a powerful amp.

Jun 22, 2014 at 1:16 PM Post #5,367 of 15,694
ES Sabre chips come to mind... Many supposedly high-end products use those chips, which have plenty of detail, but are dull, sound digital and lifeless. For instance Resonessence Invicta is really expensive (GBP 4500), with lots of features but I'm sure Hugo is better. I have not heard one dac with a Sabre chip that sounds natural and organic.

There goes the sabre chip again. Lmao. I am willing to bet the on mathematical level the chip is great .mbut the sound to me is why I disliked PCM so much. The mytek comes to mind in this sabre chip battle.
It played good dsd but the PCM was just horrible.
Al

Jun 22, 2014 at 1:19 PM Post #5,368 of 15,694
Hi, it sounds like we have the same taste.  I enjoyed the HD650 myself, but it took about a week for my ears to adjust the difference from the sea of bright phones on the market.  I prefer details and clarity, but without the compromise of warmth which brings the realism in.  I look for a balance of it.  Wolfson has the warmth, but doesn't do well when it comes to details.  The mobile ES series are cold sounding, but the non-mobile ES9018 sounds highly resoluted with good amount of warmth.  Probably the best sounding DAP I've run across so far.  Never heard the Hugo, but I don't like overly bright sources.

For musical I would recommend HE-6.  It's the most balanced I've heard. the drawback is, it's stage is not as big as the HD800, more intimate, but it's very musical and detailed, which I don't find with lots of phones.  Also, needs a powerful amp.

I never found headphones as being all that great in staging at least compared to speakers. But those headphones are very much like listening to speakers.
Al

Users who are viewing this thread

Back